Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera GellyEnter TitleLily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly

4.6

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Barbadensis Juice (Gel), Lactobacillus/Arundinaria Gigantea Extract (Bamboo), Glucose (Preservative), Carbomer (Thickener), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Polysaccharides (Certified Organic Aloesorb), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A) , Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Glucose Oxidase and Lactoperioxidase (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This product has become an all-time staple in my beauty regimen. The version that I currently have is of the 2013 (new version) that just came out. I have multiples of the 12 oz. version that I plan to use up and then continue to buy more of.

Here's the current ingredient listing for the new formula (comes with yellow packaging around bottle):

Organic Aloe Vera Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Gel), Carbomer (Thickener), Certified Organic Aloe Leaf Juice (Gel) Concentrate, Organic Aloe Vera Barbadensis Leaf Pollysaccharides (Aloesorb), Tocopheryl Acerate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Disodium EDTA (Preservative), Capryl Glycol (Emollient), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Sorbic Acid (Preservative)

I have very sensitive skin. Which is why, I prefer to use products on both my head and body that do not contain added fragrance to them. And, unlike a lot of other aloe vera gels sold on the market, this one doesn't contain any added fragrance to it at all.

It has no real distinct odor to it. It contains no parabens, no artificial coloring, and no animal testing. And, it is totally non-greasy as well.

I am able to use this product in a multitude of ways: as a styling gel, on burns, on insect bites, on rashes, on cuts, etc. The cost of this product for me was relatively cheap (less than $7 a bottle w/o shipping). And, I highly recommend this product to everyone out there (whether you have sensitive skin or not).

I used to use Fruit of the Earth's 100% Aloe Vera Gel. However, the aloe vera in it is not listed as being certified organic. And, it doesn't have any moisturizing properties to it at all. Instead, I do find it to be on the drying side. But, because it's readily available in Wal-Mart and such, that's one of the main reasons why I have stuck with for years. But, since I started using Lily of the Desert's Aloe Vera Jelly, I don't ever plan to go back to using Fruit of the Earth again.

on 5/29/2013 1:18:00 AM

Makes my skin incredibly soft and keeps oil away for most of the day, after using it for a month the fine lines on my forehead have disappeared

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is great as a moisturizer/primer. You can even use it on cuts or sunburned skin, like it says on the back. I've used it everyday for the past few weeks, and I really think it's helped my acne and my skin looks a lot better, so I recommended it to my brother, and it's helped his skin, too. Great product, great value. :)
EDIT: After a few months, I've really noticed a difference. I used to have a pretty big acne scar on my forehead, but now it's almost gone! My acne is significantly better. I'm really happy. :)

on 10/1/2011 8:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

This is MUCH better than the old gel, much more gentle. I guess they changed something. I love this. My skin is going crazy, and If I don't put this on it is very uncomfortable. This helps my face stay matte for longer, its soothing, protects my skin from the wind, helps heal my rashes, I think its even helping with acne. LOVE IT.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have the new formula. I bought it just in case I needed it for a sunburn, but with this summer's heat waves, my usual "light" night cream was too greasy. I figured I'd try replacing my night cream with this stuff and I swear it's changed my life. Keeps my skin matte but hydrated and has definitely, definitely, cleared up some spots. I'll never be without this again. I don't think it's right for winter use if you get dry that time of year (as I do), but it's the best thing to happen to my summer skincare regime since sticking ice cubes down my shirt. It's thin, so it spreads evenly, meaning you don't need to use a whole lot, so it's great value. Just be wary of the squeeze tube -- it wants to let out more than you actually need.

on 7/7/2011 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

FYI - the ingredients for this product have changed. It no longer has silicone and isn't completely clear anymore. Personally, I love the change in formula. I find it to be more soothing and moisturizing. Its a great basic skin treatment for irritation, and works a light moisturizer. I mix it in with my hair gel, and I get wonderful definition for my curls, and have even used it alone on my hair in a pinch.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This seems to fade my acne scars lightly. Not in a crazy fast way though. I'v heard that using it straight from an aloe vera plant works way better though. haven't tried that yet.

on 9/6/2010 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Natural does not always translates into something good for you. This dries over time and I don't need anything that will dry me out further, especially since I'm using it to sooth a sunburn. I tried Lily of the Desert Aloe during our vacation at the shore and while it cooled and soothed on contact, it was drying and itchy once it absorbed into the skin. I put it on my face after I healed but still the same dry tightness and I used other Aloe Vera products without ill effects. Perhaps the concentration of "pure" aloe is not working for me but to the trash it went.

Hair: Other, Straight, Other

I bought this for a trip to Hawaii since I heard that aloe helps to soothe sunburns, I sunburn really easily so I thought it'd be a good idea for me to pick one up. I have to say that for the price (around $5.99 CAD) it was quite a good deal. It didn't irritate my skin, was moisturizing and had a very soothing quality to it. I also enjoyed the cooling sensation it left on my skin.

Only two downsides for me: First the scent- it smells a bit plastic-like and synthetic to me, in a very strong way. Secondly, it didn't sink into my skin very well, I would wake up the next morning with some of it still splattered here and there.

Overall, it was alright but I prefer Burt's Bees "Aloe & Linden Flower After Sun Soother" as it had a more pleasant scent and sunk into my skin more easily.

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Barbadensis Juice (Gel), Lacctobacillus/Arundinaria Gigantea Extract (Bamboo), Glucose (Preservative), Carbomer (Thickener), Aloe Barbedensis Leaf Polysaccharides (Certified Organic Aloesorb), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster)

on 5/12/2010 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I LOVED the first tube that I bought of this. And then they changed the formulation. My "new" tube (purchased several months ago) has a funny smell to it, almost like yogurt. hmm...
I don't get sunburned very often, and so my primary use of this is on my face to soothe my sensitive, irritable skin, especially after using a scrub or face mask. However, I found that the new formulation only made my skin more red and irritated. So then I looked at the ingredients... this gelly has all kinds of things in it that aren't aloe, and it's not less than 1% as I was led to believe by the front of the bottle: 99% of the ingredients are "natural," which does not have a standard definition in the cosmetics industry. I'm sure this would be a lovely product just for sunburns (how I intend to use it from now on) or for those with less sensitive skin, but it just didn't really work for me the way I wanted it to. Off to find an aloe gel that won't burn my skin!