Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

Filtered by skin type : Very Oily
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser (Normal to Oily Skin)

3.6

on 8/17/2011 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really don't like this cleanser. I've had very resilient skin most of my life. It's very oily and I've used benzoyl peroxide over the years to control acne, but I've noticed recently how dry my skin has gotten while continuing to get oiler. I thought this would be a good gentle cleanser to start a new regimen with. It's light and not too liquidy and doesn't foam up at all, but smells very strongly of perfume. The smell didn't bother me at first and initially didn't seem so strong, but the more I used it the more obvious the smell became. Now, it feels like I'm splashing grandma's old perfume all over my face. Recently, I attempted to switch from benzoyl peroxide to a treatment with retinol in it. It made both my oil and flakes significantly worse, but what I noticed is that in the very sensitive area around my mouth where I've started to develop (what I think is) seborrheic dermatitis, the Cetaphil BURNS massively. So much that I'm rushing to rinse it off my face. It might be the fragrance, it might be something else, but this is NOT a gentle cleaner.

I only recently discovered that there are two versions of this cleaner. The Gentle Skin Cleanser for all skin types, and this one, the Daily Facial Cleanser for normal to oily skin. I'm guessing the #1 doctor recommended version is the Gentle Skin Cleanser, where the ingredient list is less than half of what the ingredient list for this cleanser is. I plan on trying that version but will definitely never buy this one again.

on 10/30/2011 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I usually am a Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel user, but I finally decided to try a cheaper cleanser. So far I've been using it for 2 weeks and it's working fine for me. I like the smell and the fact that it doesn't foam. My favorite things about this cleanser is the pump; very hygienic and convenient. In fact, I wish my MB cleanser had a pump! I also love that after the cleanser is rinsed off, it doesn't leave a residue and also does not strip my skin dry enough to make me run for moisturizer. The only 4 downsides is that the packaging is extra ugly, it doesn't remove waterproof mascara, it has more ingredients than my MB, and it has sodium lauryl sulfate (this ingredient is known to strip skin's natural oils). Dry skin people might have to try the gentle skin version.

on 3/5/2012 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have had a hard time finding a cleanser that doesn't irritate my skin, yet still cleans the oil off. After trying all sorts of high-end stuff, I tried this, and it works pretty well. It removes foundation pretty well, but left my eye makeup partially on, so eye makeup remover is still necessary. Otherwise, it's a good cleanser.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I had used Cetaphil (Normal to Oily Skin) for a few years in middle school, and then switched to something more hardcore for my acne. Then in high school I went back to Cetaphil at the urging of my dermatologist. Then in college I switched my cleansers up all the time, always looking for something to cure my acne. I recently have come back to this and now I remember why I love it so much and keep returning. Its a nice consistancy, not really thick but it doesnt feel like water when you pump it out and even though it doesnt "foam" or lather I really feel like it cleans my skin well. I have EXTREMELY oily skin and while it doesnt do much to help oil control, etc., I really feel like it does an adequate job of cleaning my skin and not making it feel overly dry or tight right after I wash it. It gets makeup off better than just about any other cleanser I've tried and it can be found at most grocery stores and drug stores or at Walmart. Its a little bit more expensive than some of the other cleansers out there, but I really do think its worth it. I have other scrubs, and potions and lotions that I use after this, but I really do believe this is a great simple cleanser that shouldnt irritate skin or make any of the skin problems you have worse. Will re-buy probably for the rest of my life!

on 1/24/2013 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!! I have always had funky oily sometimes acne prone skin, I always thought I needed to nuke the crap out of my skin with BP or salicylic acid and scrub the crap out of it to clean all the greasies and treat or prevent acne. Recently, I heard from a friend who had the same nuke it philosophy that she started using this because her dermatologist recommended it, and he had told her all the products she was frying her skin with were making matters worse. I figured, what the heck- it was cheap enough, I have all my other nuking products as backup if it breaks me out or doesn't work... OH MY how I was pleasantly surprised!! That Dr was RIGHT! I had no idea I was making matters worse, since using this, my skin is finally CALM and GLOWING! Barely any blackheads, and any little pimples I get are very mild and go away fast!!! I saw the results almost immediately Yeah, I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!! Be nice to your skin and it will be nice to you people!!! :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have been using this cleanser for the past 18 months at least and have enjoyed it. I have very oily, acne prone skin and while i find this doesn't break me out, it hasn't completely prevented new acne. I use this because it is a great basic cleanser, that does the job, and cetaphil is a very reputable brand. The gel form doesn't lather great but i feel like it cleanses my skin well. Packaging is great, and the scent doesn't bother me.

on 12/14/2013 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I really like this cleanser. I have very oily skin and this product has helped a lot at keeping the afternoon oil slick away. It has helped with my acne as well - I used to get spots along my jaw and chin but not any more! The cleanser is clear and foams up slightly. It has a very potent smell but thankfully it doesn't linger after rinsing it away completely. It leaves my face clean and slightly tight feeling but I always use a toner and moisturizer afterwards so that's not an issue for me. The only caveat I have with this (and the reason I took off one lippie) is that it does not remove heavy makeup. I wear only powder based products except for mascara and eyeliner and if I don't use eye makeup remover before using this cleanser, I'm left with dark smudges under my eyes. With that in mind, I don't think this cleanser would remove foundation either so if you wear a full face of makeup I would definitely use makeup remover first. I do love the pump bottle as one pump of product is the perfect amount to wash my face with but it is too cumbersome to travel with so that's why I took off one lippie for packaging. Overall this cleanser is great and has become my HG for a clean face!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I would apply before I go out places and then do a primer for my face and it helped my face stay matte for the whole day.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using it for the last three months. So far, it works wonder for my oily and acne prone skin. It cleanse without leaving my skin too dry that a light oil free moisturizer can't handle. I bought the 16 fl oz pack of two for only $16.94. it's cheaper than all of other cleansers i've tried.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

It cleans your face and gives a nice refreshing finish.