CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15
Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Hydrogenated, Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Alcohol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Celluslose, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Propanediol Dicaprylate, Stearakonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Fragrance, Talc, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Lysine, Timethylsiloxysilicate/Dimethiconol Crosspolymer, Magnesium Chloride, BHT, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Hydrated Silica (may contain) Ultramarines, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

This is a light buildable to medium coverage. It's those water type foundations, very thin but good coverage payoff. Every high end brand seems to sell this type of foundation. It has a matte finish which sets really fast, almost immediately. You can't really do a second layer since its dries so fast. The staying power I find is ok, about 5 hours until it wears. But I've never been a fan of these water thin type foundations, I feel like it's too thin and sheer to do anything. I would say this is more suitable for oily skin because it has a good matte finish. For dry skins, stay away. I got this in shade 20, it has more of a neutral grey undertone, would of loved it if it was more yellow. I'm nc 20. It comes in a shaker ball bottle. $77 AUD.

Perfection Lumiere Velvet is Gritty! Like Sand!

I wanted so much to like this since they discontinued my favorite foundation, Mat Lumiere.
Since it's not oily it would be perfect for summer, right? So wrong. Immediately I thought there had been a mistake as it was gritty to the touch. Does not spread easily. But looks okay once in place. I was afraid to get it near my eyes as the grit would be hard to get out. Yet it's named Velvet and I really have to wonder why they would call it that.

Maybe they got a bad batch of dimethicone (or silicone) because there is nothing smooth about this. I am going to return this.

on 8/27/2016 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really love this foundation.

I was really struggling and nothing was working for me; I have sensitive, highly break-out prone combo skin, and I'm getting older, so fine lines etc.

My skin tone was really irregular and I was getting a lot of breakout zones that wouldn't stop (2 spots turn into 4, then 5, etc) nor heal, nor calm down.

I have a really good diet, and habits, so it was particularly frustrating.

For reference, I have tried, over the course of 2+ years, Shiseido Perfect Refining (dc'd) and the Skin Synchro-thingy, Clé de Peau foundations (liquid and powder) Koh Gen Doh Aqua, KGD powder, Nars Velvet Matte, Lily Lolo mineral makeup, Bare Minerals powder...

I went by a Chanel Counter one day and saw the Velvet Perfection Lumière. I tested it on my hand to see what the texture felt like, as well as the tint, and was intrigued. I got a sample and brought it home to try it.

I immediately could tell upon applying that it was good, but I still hardly dared hope. I used the sample 3 days running- on bare, clean skin, just the foundation, all day- and then promptly went and bought a full bottle.

I was nervous again once I opened the bottle; I figured the sample was a fluke, that I would have issues with it (and no return policy in Japan, too).

I had no problem whatsoever; quite the contrary.

I've been wearing it every day, in all types of summer weather conditions, for about a month. That includes beating sun, heavy rain downfall, typhoons (wind and rain), overcast days, humidity of 90+%, in the city seething with humanity, and at the beach.

It always looks good. It always looks natural. It's kindof unbelievable, and I also can't believe how much it has simplified my beauty rituals, and my mental well-being ! (What is that quote? "A woman who finds her foundation can rule the world." ? lol)

Verdict is that I couldn't be happier. It is definitely the perfect foundation for me.

Coverage is great- naturally covers what you need it to. Will initially accentuate flakey bits, but then the skin seems to heal, and the flakes go away. Ditto for imperfections.

Very liquidy- I remove the cap, put my finger tip on the nozzle tip and shake vigorously (I've heard that it shoots out if you shake with the cap on- that didn't happen to me when I did, but just to be safe now I do it the other way).

I apply by sections- nose, forehead, chin, cheeks etc- because it dries fast. I use my fingers and take a little time to really blend because I find the more I do that, the more of a beautiful natural finish it gives- and for the whole day!

You can add/layer where needed. Pinpoint concealing with a little brush also works brilliantly.

Classic Chanel scent, a bit rosy; I personally love it.

Shade 20 beige is a perfect match for me.

I'd say I am pretty neutral toned olive, leaning yellow (I have blue and green veins) and I am surprised that "Beige" is my (summer) match (usually beige tends to be too pink on me, but perhaps Chanel's Beige for the Asian market is different than elsewhere?) (I am not Asian)

I swear, this foundation improves your skin; or rather, it has improved mine!
I've had angry red imperfections just sort of heal up, dry out and fall away after a day or two. My skin is clear and smooth. I can't emphasize enought what a big deal this is- and I don't want to jinx this!- but my skin has never tolerated a foundation so well- it looks natural and smooth and even-toned and just good.

On me, this foundation gives a natural, polished, almost flawless finish.
It lasts ALL DAY. Doesn't oxidize.

AND check this out- this is a huge bonus, at least for me;
As I said, I live in a very hot and humid climate and I am often dashing around on my bicycle or packed on a crowded train....I can SPLASH MY FACE with cold water and pat it dry- or even take a quick cold shower and get my made-up face wet- and the foundation stays put- AND it looks even better!!

Removal:
I usually had to take off my makeup as early as possible in the evening or afternoon- leaving it on spelled trouble- but with this foundation, no problem. It doesn't matter how long I leave it on, my skin just loves it. And when I remove it, my skin still looks good.

I remove with Muji cleansing oil. I double cleanse with Muji cleansing gel and my Clarisonic Fit/sensitive brush head.

I was getting to the point that mirrors were only to be consulted for damage control; now I actually look at my own skin and feel happy and serene.

The only cons I can find with this foundation is that it only has 16 spf.
I wear a mineral sunscreen underneath when needed and it looks almost exactly the same- slightly paler, I guess, but essentially the same. It works exactly the same layered over sunscreen. Also works with all my other makeup (Clinique Pop blush, Too Faced Milk Chocolate bronzer, etc).

The other con is that it's a bit expensive- at least it is in Japan- almost $70 after tax etc.
I don't know how long the bottle will last- will update on that when I know.

Pros:
elegant and convenient packaging
wonderful, naturally polished finish with great staying power
lovely scent, if you like it, which I do
applies beautifully with fingers
seems to improve skin considerably
doesn't oxidize
doesn't come off if you splash your face with water
works in many weather conditions
totally non-irritating
great,convenient packaging
cons;
low spf
pricey
update: accentuates flakes, over-fragranced+can be irritating

Obviously I totally, highly recommend, and will definitely repurchase.
I will update on how long the bottle lasts, and any other updates if needed.
UPDATE:
Became too dry for winter (in Japan, which is very dry in winter) for my skin, and began to look heavy. I had to veer away from it for such a long time that I completely stopped using it, discovered other foundations along the way that performed better

on 8/19/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Oh this is my dream foundation with the smell, the finish, the velvety but not dead matte feel, but it only lasts 2 hours. I mean, doesn't really go away, but that dreamy perfect look disappears after that. I could do with 4 hours but 2 is shorter than a movie. Tried it with some primers and also retouched with chanel powder but this looks best right after you put it on. If they could last this look whole day, i would wear it forever.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

English is my second language, so sorry for typeos or any othe wieredness:)

I got this as a birthday present from my hubby right before our wedding. I had been eyeing it for a while and had gotten samples to try on and see if it was compatible with my very picky skin. This is one of the few high end foundations that doesn't break me out and I went through a good deal of samples of known brands. I tried Diorskin forever too, and my skin took weeks to recover, Yikes! But back to the review:

When I opened the package and saw the little box the foundation came in I got those oh-my-god-this-is-pure-luxury-I-can't-believe-I-own-this tingles all over. Black with gold and inside the foundation itself in a black plastick bottle. Not to keen on the plastic, but it looks amazing on my bathroom shelf non the less. Giddy as a school girl I rush into the bathroom to put this on my face and oogle at the result. It is a twist off cap on a squeeze bottle. Remember to shake the bottle (placing a finger over the opening) after you take the cap off, if not it will squirt. I tilt the bottle upside down and carefuly dot it on my skin then blend it with a sponge or beauty blender working in sections as this stuff dries quickly. At my first atempt I found it a bit hard to blend out prefectly compared to the sample. The reason for this was that since I had gotten the sample my skin had changed a bit. It had gotten a bit dryer, and I hadn't noticed. I have always been a normal to oily skin gal, but now I am normal to dry with oily T zone. Sarcastic yay.
Devastated I thought I wouldn't be able to use this expensive foundation (it is markedet towards normal to oily skin), but luckily I managed to pull myelf together and get a new moisturizer. With a proper hydrated skin I could happily apply my Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet in all it's glory, and it looked just as good as the sample. It is now my go to foundation. It is light coverage, not buildable in my oppinion, so it is definetly a your skin but better kinda deal, and it lasts a good while too, but benefits from a setting spray at least on me.
I love the feel of it on my skin, the only thing that lets me know I have it on is how soft my skin feels, and the scent. It smells so good, I imagine this is how expensive smells, hehe. The scent doesn't last though and is not strong in case you were wondering about that. The texture is kinda wiered at first. It was my first encounter with a liquid to powder foundation. It took a bit of getting used to, but notihng major, just a new way of applying a product. Chanel says it is best applied with the fingertips, but I didn't like that method. I prefer a sponge or beauty blender dipped ever so slightly in water. I plan on purchasing one of the Artise brushes and can't wait to try and apply it with that!

I find that even with dry patches you can get away with this fondation but only if you hydrate your skin. I use L'Oréal Paris Skin Perfection under and if I use a setting spray I use Urban Decay All Nighter.
For those of you that stuck with me through my ramble, yes, I did wear this at my wedding, and yes, it lasted all day, even with no setting spray as I didn't have one at the time. And yes, it photographs very well, no white cast. I didn't believe the pictures when we got them, I looked so freah even at the end of the night. Big + for Chanel.
I don't believe this is my holy grail of foundations, but it is pretty darn close.

Edit: After writing this I really wanted to try and apply The Perfection Lumiere Velvet with my finger again, but this time I tried mixing this in with my L'Oréal Paris Skin Perfection and that gave a very good result. I used an american blueberry sized dollop of moisturizer and four drops of foundation. One more than intended, but hey, I got to cover a big amount of my neck aswell. The pigment in this foundation really showed through when I did this. When mixing them together in my hands the foundation completely overtook the pink moisturizer and I got a bit of a shock as all of my fingers looked like they were covered in foundation, but it went on well. I might be doing this more often.

on 7/2/2016 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a really great foundation for combination to oily skin. It is oil controlling. It leaves a nice matte finish that doesn't look dry. Chanel has really great foundations. This one has a water like texture to it. A little goes a long way, and I love how it makes my skin look. It isn't a flat matte either, it has a bit of radiance to it, but in a healthy way - not a glowy look. I have purchased this foundation many times. It works extremely well for my skin, and doesn't look heavy at all. Perfect for summer! Make sure you shake the bottle every time!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

At first, I had mixed feelings about this foundation. This is one of those very watery foundations where you have to shake the bottle and apply it with your fingers. This foundation takes some skill to apply it.

First, use your fingers. You will get a better result with fingers because this foundation is extremely lightweight and when applying it with a brush, it basically vanishes to nothing! With a brush, you will get very sheer coverage.

Another thing to consider is the speed in which you need to apply this foundation. It does glide on amazingly smooth but it dries in lightening speed! I find that this dries so fast, I don't even have time to place dots all over and blend. I have to work in sections. For instance, put two dots on one cheek and blend it out with your fingers. Move to your other cheek, etc.

Another mistake I made was to set this with powder. Because I'm oily, it's just habit to set everything. Some foundations, I have to use two powders to set it to avoid looking like a grease pit. DON'T USE POWDER WITH THIS FOUNDATION. The key word in the name is "Velvet" and I should have picked up on that. I got a crazy cake face look when I used powder to set this. I find this foundation works best if you just leave it be. The problem with that is if you're oily, you will see oils coming through as the day goes by. It's best to use blotting papers or napkins to soak up oil instead of using a powder.

After fixing my mistakes, I started to enjoy this foundation. I would still consider this a light coverage foundation even when applying with fingers. I love using this on casual days when I just want minimal makeup. I would never reach for this for events but if you already have great skin that is normal, I think it will be fine for a night out. I also love that this doesn't oxidize on me. In fact, the color stayed true during an hour of spin!

As for shade selection, Chanel foundations lean neutral cool imo. The only shade that works for me is 40 with all Chanel foundations. It's not a spot on match, it could use a little bit more yellow but it still works. For reference, I'm medium olive skinned/NC40.

Lastly, I do try to experiment with Chanel foundations because it seems to be a safe brand for my skin. I'm very reactive and acne prone to ingredients and Chanel foundations never cause any problems for me.

I've used this foundation on and off since it launched and I love it.
Pros:
-Extremely lightweight.
-Good coverage for something so thin (light to medium I'd say).
-Perfet colour match (very personal but it works for me :))
-Satin finish, so fairly luminous but definitely not dewey.
-Works well over most skincare products I've tried it on, except for oil based ones.
-Package is very travel friendly but still elegant.
Cons:
-it will wear off throughout the day on sides of nose and chin
-clings to dry patches so no good on dry skins.
-Not very good for very oily skins as the formula will break down.

I've repurchased it once and will do so again when it runs out.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

During my recent search for a new foundation I had the opportunity to try Chanel Perfection Lumiere Velvet. Although the foundation went on very nicely, and looked pretty good at first, it seemed to be a bit dry and gave me a little mustache, which I definitely don't need to have. The foundation seemed to accentuate any lines around my eye area and I did wear it all day, so that I could get the full effect. It didn't last long, nor was the coverage very good. It was lightweight and would probably work great for someone in their 20s and 30s, but it's not long lasting.

This gives me a beautiful finish to the skin. It softens the look of texture on the skin, pores and brightens up the skin in a natural way. Coverage can be build up to nearly full with light layers. Lasting power is good, lasted on my combination skin for 5 hours before I see some oil seeping through my T-zone. The foundation doesn't lift off when I blot my face with a tissue paper. Will need to touch up with powder after 7-8 hours as the foundation will gradually wear off. It is overall a nice and lasting foundation, it makes me look fresh for most of the time.