CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

CHANEL Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15
Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15Perfection Lumiere Velvet Smooth Effect Makeup SPF15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 3.1% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isododecane, Hydrogenated, Polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Alcohol, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Celluslose, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Propanediol Dicaprylate, Stearakonium Hectorite, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Fragrance, Talc, Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Lysine, Timethylsiloxysilicate/Dimethiconol Crosspolymer, Magnesium Chloride, BHT, Tocopherol, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Hydrated Silica (may contain) Ultramarines, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

on 1/17/2019 11:18:00 AM

I am going against the grain here. However, I can see why some people will LOVE this foundation. Due to hormonal changes and age, my skin went from combo oily to pretty dry. My somewhat HG foundation has been Shiesdo synchro skin but I have always had to add a little creaminess to the foundation with Borjouis because I started to notice that my skin was further being dried out by synchro skin alone. However, my last purchase of the Borjouis healthy mix was awful and I realized they changed their formula. Boo. I am obsessed with recommendations from Hot n'flashy and this is her go to foundation. She does mention that this may not be suitable for dry skin and she is right.

I tried the color 30 for my NC 25 to 30 (on the neutral side) skin. At first, the match looked PERFECT. But by the time I got to work, it started to oxidize badly. This foundation is NOT for dry skin. While it looked like perfection from far away, up close you could see EVERY pore which normally is not noticeable on me. Another thing I don't like is the fact that you can't really conceal over this foundation. IT would let you blend and that has never been a problem for me. I tried to give it another shot by mixing it with my Shiesdo and it was definitively better but still not worth the price tag. If you have normal to combo to oily skin and need medium coverage and can find a shade that works, I would say go for it. But if you're like me where you need buildable coverage, have dry skin and need to conceal, I would steer clear. I may try the aqua in this but am afraid there won't be a color match as the 30 in that version seemed really orange-y.

Welp. After a LONG and painful search for a “holy grail” foundation for my poor, abused skin I’ve finally fallen head over heals for this stuff!!! I usually have combo/normal skin. About a NC15-20 range. But having Lyme disease and treating with all kinds of drugs means your face/skin (ok my whole 42yr old body) gets slammed. My face that never needed more than powder now has spider veins crawling all over and my once mostly normal skin is an oil slick somedays and dry wheat field the next. I have tried YSL (every foundation they offer since they have SPF) and Mac Studio Fix (powder and liquid) and every cheap drug store foundation out there and I can whole heartedly endorse THIS FOUNDATION for the rest of my life!! Or. Until I am off the meds and can IPL my face and be done with foundations😂 But honestly- it doesn’t really matter what I put under it (more to follow) it still looks like MY SKIN but better! I thought the YSL cushion was good (it did make me shinny after a few hours but coverage was amazing without being heavy) but THIS STUFF! SNAP! I have tried the Chanel Hydra Beauty Gel under it (does ok- not horrible-not my fav) and it lasts pretty good but does nothing to control shine. I have tried the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer under it (the worst for me- broke up after 6 hours- wiped off) I’ve tried NO primer just face and it was pretty good! If I ever travel again I’d probably just take it and some SkinCeuticals SPF and be fine. BUT THE BEST COMBO YET is the YSL Blur primer under this (don’t use a ton!! A tiny bit goes a very long way!) and then just dot the foundation on and smooth it in with my fingers (don’t be grossed out- I have tried a brush and blender too but I felt like fingers made me use LESS of the product and for the price I need to use LESS;) I like to set it with the Chanel loose translucent 2 and I am good to go all day. Which is a frickin miracle for this girl. I must say even my husband commented on the fact I wasn’t wearing any foundation (Hahahaha) and my kids said my face was looking better;) MY $50 little secret weapon! I have had dry patches and it doesn’t settle in them- I have an oily-ish...let’s say shinny T zone and it doesn’t cake up/break apart/layers beautifully with powder (I use the YSL compacts in tanslucent and also #3) and I don’t have a ring of foundation on my turtle neck (it’s cold. My body is cold. Always. Lyme sucks) I can’t say enough about this. I’ll be buying it til I don’t need foundation! (You can see I like the YSL compact powders. They last FOR-EV-ER! And the Chanel setting powder is a much better fit for me than the Hourglass setting powder (which I liked! But didn’t hold back any shine;) Get a sample of this foundation!! The little packet did my face and neck twice! LOOOOVE IT enough to skip a nap and write a review;)

on 1/4/2019 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I purchased this almost a year ago, and it went to the back of my foundation drawer for awhile. I pulled it out again a few weeks ago and finding I like this quite a lot.

There is a bit of a learning curve with this...your face needs to be recently exfoliated and lightly moisturized. I find too little or too much moisture throws this off a bit...but, when I get that right, the finish is pretty spectacular.

As I am getting older, foundations have become a real challenge. Most formulas feel too thick and sit in pores and lines. This feels like a dream! It's so soft and extremely lightweight...and gives a nice medium coverage without looking heavy. I also find it applies and wears better without a primer, which is ok as I really don't like primers. My skin wants to breath and the less layers I have on, the better.

I find its best applied with the fingers...which is great for me...I really dislike brushes and sponges...I feel my clean hands are the way to go. It blends quickly, but it's very forgiving.

I can get a solid 6 hours from this, without retouching. But, even with long wear foundations, a little touchup is needed at the 5-6 hour mark. Even when this wears off, it doesn't look awful...it just kind of fades. I simply blot and add a little more were needed.

I love the packaging...it's so great to travel with. The only drawback is you can't see how much is left.

The scent...it's pretty strong, and I sometimes wish it wasn't in there...but, so far, it hasn't irritated my skin.

I find myself reaching for this everyday, pairing it with the Chanel Soleil Tan...it's very easy to apply and my look is so polished.

on 12/20/2018 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Got a free sample of this which was lovely, however the retail price is prohibitive for me. In any case shade #30 was also too dark. Smooth and easy to apply and a gorgeous finish that minimizes pores, fine lines and surface flaws. Retails for $50.

on 12/6/2018 12:13:00 PM

For the price they could add a pump. Even though it says its for normal to oily skin the application was nice at first but after a few hours I was oily in the T-Zone. Coverage is sheer to medium. I applied it with my clarisonic makeup brush head even though it says to use fingers. I really don't want to go back to applying foundation with my hands. C'mon Chanel, women use brushes or sponges. I was also disappointed alcohol which can be so irritating was high on the ingredient list. Regret this purchase and back to my holy grail, Guerlain.

on 11/23/2018 8:17:00 PM

I, like many, wanted to try this because of Angie of Hot and Flashy's recommendation. After researching extensively, decided on #10 for my NC15 complexion, and loved it immediately! After deciding it may be a little too drying for my combination skin, I add a drop of complexion oil to the 3 or 4 drops of foundation in my palm, and apply over moisturizer and /or skin primer. After working 12+ hours, it looks fairly decent by the end of the day. I am on my second bottle, and intend to continue to purchase.

on 11/19/2018 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

For now, I can say this is my number 1 foundation. I am not a makeup artist, but have spent a good deal trying out different foundations, mostly high end. This includes some rather obscure but highly regarded brands. I am NC25-ish and shade 30 works well for me. It gives a real medium coverage, buildable to some degree. I like this, as I believe in most cases, medium is sufficient. The finish is satiny matte, which renders it skin like. The lasting power is great - I use this at work and never find the need to re-apply, though I blot out excess oils in my oily t-zone area mid-day (my skin is naturally combination- oily). No shifting, no piling up on creases. Truly a great performing foundation - definitely outperforms even newer foundation releases. And I get the same outstanding result regardless of how I apply, though I like applying with a wet sponge best. Definitely highly recommended.

on 10/29/2018 9:55:00 PM

This is my new HG foundation, love the way it looks - very natural and light while at the same time fully covering any acne scarring or spots. I use the shade beige 20 and it’s the closest shade I’ve ever found in a foundation for my skin tone. When I first started using it I anticipated major breakouts due to the very perfume like scent, but to my surprise I did not breakout which is a miracle!! I apply it with a brush and it blends seamlessly & it’s buildable as well - what else can you ask for? You only need a tiny bit, it lasts forever which is another bonus. I still have to try this foundation which contains sunscreen (usually that is another trigger point for breakouts for me), but I’m hoping that it will continue to be my HG. Will update this review after I’ve tried it.
Oh - one more thing, in the winter months it can be a bit drying and too matte looking, to combat that I lightly spray the new “Hangover 3-in-1” from Too Faced after I’m done with my full make-up application and my skin looks absolutely perfect!!

on 10/12/2018 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I really wanted to love this foundation, especially after reading reviews, but I was dissapointed. I bought this in no.30 (medium light tan skin with yellow undertones, usually NC30) color match was great. It applied silky and had a soft finish, smelled amazing and it made my skin look nice at first. I would say medium coverage at most. I even used the Chanel Les Beiges Sheer Glow powder to set it, however within a few hours at work in an office desk job my makeup had worn off in areas and looked somewhat patchy. I tried it another day, and by noon I looked in the mirror and my face looked oily and shiny- I don’t even have oily skin, so that was really strange. Sadly it’s going back.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I put off trying this foundation for a long time because of the fragrance. I don't like the heavy old lady smell of most Chanel products although this foundation has less scent than others by Chanel. I finally broke down and gave it a try and it has replaced my beloved UD Naked Skin foundation. I usually use 3.25 in UD Naked Skin so I bought the Lumiere Velvet in 22 which matches my light cool/neutral skin perfectly. It does contain alcohol but it does not dry out my skin at all. It also wears even better than the UD Naked Skin.

I love that this is a lightweight foundation. It offers sheer to medium coverage but it does not build up really at all. I don't mind this because I only like a medium coverage foundation because anything heavier will accentuate the texture on my skin. I just use a concealer where needed and it blends seamlessly.

It wears well for up to 12 hours on my normal skin. In the summer I get slightly oily but using a blotting sheet takes care of that. During the winter it wears very will without any need to touch up. I do set it with a loose tinted translucent setting powder to just smooth the t-zone a little.

I do wish there was a cheaper dupe but honestly there is nothing like this available in the US. I have seen a L'Oreal Magic Nude Powder foundation compared to it but that is not available here. It might even be discontinued by now. But seriously there is nothing like this lightweight foundation for smoothing out texture and giving older skin an evened out natural appearance.