November 26, 2014 | 1627 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - Ion Shine Instant Heat Hairsetter with Ceramic

rated 1 of 5 on 8/22/2010 7:42:00 PM More reviews by bigb00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have naturally wavy hair & i bought these to be a "nicer" thing to do to my hair instead of always flatironing or curling with high, high heats. Well These did NOTHING. They came out & put a few ripples in my hair but no curls and no waves. I though maybe my hair just doesn't work with the lower heat, so I gave them to my mom - who has Curly hair. She got the same result- They straightened her hair! made her have these weird little flip and the end of her hair and thats about it. Returned them to walmart - where they were 50$. Which i found to be very expensive for a conair product. The packaging and the fun things that came with it were nice.. But couldn't do the job.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2009 9:39:00 AM More reviews by JudgeJudy41

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have the Clairol ION Shine roller set, but mine must be the original. It has the 12 large size rollers and it comes in a purple hard plastic case. It only has an on and off switch - no settings. I bought this set about 4 years ago and use them continuously. Leaves my hair silky smooth and that is because of the ion technology. I gave it 4 lippies, because of the inabilty to create different hair styles. If this set ever plays out, I will buy another Clairol Ion Shine set, but it will have a better variety of rollers = different hair styles. Overall, I've been very satisfied with my set. A+

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2009 10:47:00 PM More reviews by Chirper

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought the Conair jumbo and superjumbo roller set (the 12 roller purple pack) as my first and so far only hair roller product, so I have nothing else to compare this to. I have used this a couple of times, but the results were only VERY temporary. However, perhaps this is due to my very straight, Asian hair, or I am just not preparing my hair correctly since I don't like to use too much hair spray before and after the curls are done, and I don't use gel or mousse at all.
I notice that it can get unbearably hot when placed for long periods of time (I usually try to keep them on for about 15-30 minutes depending on how much time i have) around the ears but otherwise I don't ever burn myself. Since the roller is covered in fuzz, this prevents me from burning my fingers when i set it in my hair or take it off. I really like how heating the curlers is pretty fast and convenient. The results are gorgeous when the rollers come off, but after say 10-15 minutes, my hair loses the curls and becomes slightly wavy or pretty much flat with dents. I have noticed that if i really want longer lasting curls, the curling iron is the best way to go in terms of time and results.
Note: Originally my Conair curlers came only with these really thin purple clips to hold the curlers in place. Those are worthless! You'll need to buy the Conair Super Clips which are these white claw clips (which came in a set of 10 only) that cover the entire Curler and effectively holds it in place in your hair.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2009 10:20:00 AM More reviews by soraya69

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I may have gotten a defective product from WalMart, because these rollers do absolutely nothing to my hair. First of all, I have thin fragile hair, and the rollers are way too heavy for it, I feel like they put unwanted tension on my hair strands, and that's the last thing I need.
Secondly, they barely heat up (on highest setting). So, the best result I could get from them was my hair being still straight but with some shapeless volume. Unfortunately I lost the receipt so I'm stuck with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2009 4:00:00 PM More reviews by nikki_nikki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I decided to purchase this at my local Walgreens for $30 based on the reviews here, plus I don't want to use curling iron because it could damage my dry hair. I bought the Conair clips instead of using the pins it came with. My hair is dry, thick, wavy and after using this, the curls on my hair were shiny and bouncy. I use this when I'm having a bad hair day, it's quick fixer. It takes a few minutes to heat up and I leave the rollers on for about 10-15 minutes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2009 6:54:00 PM More reviews by jatkins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have the two year old version in purple. I love it. I don't use it very often, but when I want soft curls, I go to this. They get really hot, almost too hot on my ears. These are the best hot rollers that I have ever used.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2009 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Amykakes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just HAD to buy this after reading all the reviews. I used to use a curling iron but it didn't do much for me so I thought what the heck, I will just give this a try, can't hurt. My hair is really long, thick, and layered so basically nothing ever works with it. But this actually did! I was really surprised. I am not an expert on using hot rollers, actually I have never used them before in my life until I bought this and the curls STILL came out beautifully! The only mistake I made was that I should have used hair spray, that is a MUST when curling hair. I did not realize it until about 5 hours later and all the curls came out. But they still lasted a few hours without anything in it which is pretty good IMO. Love this product and it's affordable too!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2009 8:54:00 PM More reviews by Steph0891

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i was excited to try this after reading all the rave reviews. i went to target and got it for $30+. i don't know if i got a dud but this only slightly curled my hair. it did however put super curls on my daughter who has shoulder length, thin, fine hair. i have thick long hair. i feel it didn't get hot enough. it only very loosely curled the front sides of my hair and the back didn't look like i did anything to it. and the curls that i did get only lasted for a few minutes. i didn't put any hairspray on it afterwards which i probably should've done. i was hoping this would work...sad it didn't. glad it worked for everyone else. returned it right away the next day.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2009 5:07:00 PM More reviews by acp534

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i was so excited to purchase this seeing as everyone loved it. I tried it as soon as i got home and was dissapointed. Unfortunately its too time consuming in my opinion, the clips are annoying to use and to top it off the curls didnt stay in my hair for more than 30 minutes. I have long layered straight hair, and my hair does not hold curls well. I also didnt use hairspray so it could have been my fault.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2008 10:14:00 AM More reviews by AnnaMaria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I hate to break this product's perfect score, but I'm giving it a four because of the changes Conair has made in the packaging. I've used this hairsetter for many years -- I'm on my second one because the lid finally wore out on my first. I use it almost every day. It's my favorite hairsetter -- works well, the rollers don't get too hot (I've had some hairsetters that heat up so much the rollers burn your fingers and head) but get hot enough to make great curls, I like the velvet cover on the rollers, and I like the blue color which blends well in my bathroom. BUT this hairsetter used to come with blue plastic clips that work beautifully and really are what make this hairsetter extraordinary. Unfortunately Conair has done away with the blue plastic clips and now include metal ones instead. Thankfully, the two hairsetters I bought included the plastic clips, and I'm so glad I thought to keep my clips when I tossed my first hairsetter, so I have enough plastic clips to last me forever even if I have to get a third Conair hairsetter (as I will buy this one again if my current one wears out like my last one). Another MUAer wisely suggested buying other plastic clips to use with it, and I agree with her great idea. But the blue clips Conair made that were designed for this set and originally included with this set are much better than the white ones you can now buy separately online. The blue ones look like a big clothespin with a space big enough to wrap around the curler and your hair. I have no idea why Conair quit including these clips (maybe cost, but it would be worth their charging more to include the fabulous clips), but that's why I'm deducting one lipstick. This set simply is not as exceptional without the clips. I hope Conair will go back to their old packaging.