July 23, 2014 | 2000 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - Conair Satin Finish, Instant Heat Ultra Slim Straightener, 3/4 inch

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 12/27/2009 4:59:00 PM More reviews by booyaga

I got this for $30 around 3 years ago. It still works occasionally. It stopped heating up. It really does snag hair like crazy, and it's a burden to use.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2009 10:41:00 PM More reviews by krumrill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is by far the worst straightener I've ever used. I've been using straighteners since I was about 14, maybe 15, and since then I've had three. This was the second one I purchased. I was new to the hair-styling-beauty-tools world, so I didn't know what to look for in a styling product. All I was concerned about was the price. This was the cheapest at Walmart ($15) so I went with it. It was a huge disappointment, even for a rookie. I have semi-thick, wavy hair that's never been a hassle to work with, but this just made it a nightmare getting ready in the morning. First off, the plates didn't get anywhere near hot enough to do anything. I had to go over each [extremely small] section at least three to four times to get it straight, while the iron snagged my hair, leaving me with terrible split ends and strays everywhere. I guess in this case you really get what you pay for. Every iron I've owned was by Conair (currently I have the Infiniti, which is excellent). They make great products, this just wasn't one of them.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2008 7:59:00 PM More reviews by mochasplash

depending on my cousin to pack my babyliss ceramic straighter before heading to new york, i really depended on it. to no surprise he didnt pack it. fortunately my other cousins girlfriend had this conair straighter. i was skeptical about using it because i wasnt sure if it was actual ceramic or if it would even truly straighten my hair. to tell the truth i'm not even sure if the babyliss itself is 100% ceramic. upon using this, i was pleasantly surprised at how fast and how hot it got. it straightened my hair very well, pin straight. it was pretty much up to par with my babyliss straightener. babyliss cost me just over a bill and the conair is a good fraction of the price of the babyliss. once my babyliss dies, i will switch to this conair straightener. my hair didnt get trapped at the sides of the plates like the babyliss does. as it states, it's ultra slim and easy to handle and use.
* i was just on conairs website and saw that this iron is ceramic COATED, underneath is probably some kinda metal, not true ceramic, no wonder it's so damn cheap. im still going to buy it!
for people who have this iron and it stop working, if u have the receipt, it comes with a 2 year warranty! i'm definitely keeping my receipt, i dont completely trust this iron to last me too long.
a reviewer mention her hair not gliding through the plates smoothly, i do agree! it baffles me that people think this iron doesnt get hot enough, especially on the highest setting!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/20/2008 4:58:00 PM More reviews by missprisspink

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I first received this,I fell in love with it!
It worked amazing on my thick,wavy poofy hair.

After a montf use,it didn't get as hot,it didn't straighten my hair.

So,not I just use it for styling my bangs.

=]

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2007 3:36:00 PM More reviews by SanjaV

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First of all, all hair irons damage your hair, ok? there is no way around that, sorry to burst your bubble but if you don't want damage, don't iron your hair! It is also possible that you are using it at a too high setting. This hair iron is pretty good, but just like with anything else you have to know how to use it. I have long, thin, dry, slightly wavy hair. I first blowdry with a BRUSH, pulling down straight. When the hair is almost dry I leave it for about half an hour (just personal preference, trying not to kill it too much). Then apply a heat defence/straightening spray all over which will minimize the damage and help with the staightening (L'oreal pink bottle is a good one). Separate the hair into SMALL, THIN sections - what I think people are doing is getting impatient and taking too big hair chunks - this will take time people! - and slowly and gently glide down. Like I said before, make sure that you are using an appropriate heat setting - too low and the hair wont be straight, too high and you'll burn it too much. Try and practice. For myself, I just iron the ends to get that nice staight look and my front. I love it, but keep in mind what you want when you're buying it - it is really small so if you have thick, bushy, currly hair it might take you whole day to do this properly and you probably would want to look at a bigger straightener.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/3/2007 10:09:00 AM More reviews by sarahviolett

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have fine yet wavy hair, and this iron was acceptable in regards to straightening, but the flippin thing broke after 3 months of use! I am personally done with Conair products.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2007 10:20:00 PM More reviews by SuummerL

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The worst, it doesn't even staighener your hair!! Never will I buy this! It's the worst!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/11/2007 5:48:00 AM More reviews by EccentricGeni

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this straightner, but ONLY for what my big straightner leaves behind. I honestly can't afford a $100+ straightner, so I use 2 cheaper ones. For the little hairs that want to be difficult, this works great, to straighten all my hair though, is a bit different. I tried once, and within 2 hours my hair was a curly mess.

**Update** It stopped heating up about 8 months after I bought it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2007 12:57:00 PM More reviews by allsmiles123

I was desperate for a hair straightener so I purchased this on a whim, mostly due to the price ~$13 at Target. I was EXTREMELY disappointed with this product, it's awful. There are two main problems with it: 1) The straightener didn't glide easily through my hair, it tugged at my hair and felt like it was breaking my hair; 2) Although it heated up quickly, it didn't get hot enough to straighten my fine, medium-length hair, it took several passes over my hair to look like it was doing anything. I took it back and will continue my search.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2006 11:13:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Super cheap and does what it says. Heats up fast and straightens hair well. As with any straightener, combing the hair first makes a HUGE difference in the result, just FYI. I also set mine on the highest setting, as my hair is very coarse and thick. This iron is very easy to maneuver due to the small size, works on even the shortest hair and is perfect for creating flippy styles. I have a chin-length bob and this works pretty well. Edited 12/10/2007: After nearly 2 years of using this straightener, it has lost its lustre. It doesn't appear to heat up as much, and even on the "turbo" setting, I have to keep going over and over my hair to get it truly straight. And then - it doesn't last! My hair is wavy again within hours. If it is at all humid outside, forget it! My hair is very coarse and thick with a lot of natural curl, so fine hair may fare better than mine. Also, the iron is more damaging than the more pricey ionic irons, which I plan to purchase myself for Christmas. The bottom line is that this is a good cheap iron if your hair isn't tough to straighten, and is in good condition, but even in those cases, plan on replacing it within a couple of years. This makes a great starter flat iron.