Conair HotTools Ceramic Flat Iron

3.3

on 9/20/2014 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have stick straight hair naturally but I only wash my hair twice a week. When I sleep I always wear my hair in a messy bun which leaves frizz, wave and kink. I got this out of my little sister's bathroom who has mildly wavy hair and this perfected everything & made my naturally straight hair look refreshed and good to go for the 3rd and 4th day. Didn't burn my hair (but why would it since I use a heat protectant) and heats up really fast which is amazing for days I run late and need to quickly tame my old hair. The barrel is wide enough to be able to straighten large sections at a time which is such a blessing in the morning.

on 5/24/2012 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Conair has come out with so many versions of ceramic flat irons but the one that I am reviewing is the one that has a Turbo setting and heats up to 400 F. Mine is about 3/4 inch and has pink plates. I have had CHI, GVP and Hot Tools but they are 1 1/2 and 2 inches. I have to say that the smaller the plates are, the better they work on the hard areas like the back of your head. This is actually a great product and very inexpensive ($19). It is very light and unlike CHI and Hot Tools does not cause a pain in my shoulder. Also, if I put it on the Turbo setting, the starightening time is much faster than CHI, GVP and Hot Tools. It does a great job in not damaging the hair. I used to have breakage but this really helps. My hair is pretty thick and unruly so I use this with Suave Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner and Kerastase Oleo-Relax serum and then I am all set. I do not like my hair to look needle straight and this can create nice curls. Highly recommended.

on 2/12/2011 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have to preface this by saying I really want a CHI like my hairstylist uses, but I haven't quite convinced myself to spend that much money.

Overall, this isn't a bad iron. The packaging was terrible, though -- that sealed formed plastic stuff that you can hardly even cut through with heavy scissors. The iron itself does a decent job, though. With a little practice, I can get a passable flip or a wee bit of curl. It straightens and smoothes very well. The ceramic plates are not harsh on my coloured, very dry hair. I use it everyday and it's a good little workhorse, but I don't think I would buy it again.

on 11/8/2009 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

i've been using this straightener for about 2 years now and i have no idea whats going on cuz it's not working like it used to. the plates are all scratched with some kind of residue and i can't get it off! when i first started using it, it got really hot and straightened my hair pin-straight. now, it takes me a lot longer than it used to to do what i did before. i don't understand! it's really disappointing because i really liked this iron. i won't buy this again.

on 3/4/2008 1:25:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I have been flat-ironing my Japanese hair forever with a Conair ceramic iron...it always looked good enough to me and I always assumed the reason it never looked exactly like it did when my stylist did it was because I wasn't using the exact products she was. So eventually I bought every product she uses on me - the same Redken shampoo, Tigi S Factor Smoothing Lusterizer Defrizzer & Tamer and Soya Want Flat Hair and I STILL wasn't getting the same results - the only difference was my flat iron so now obsessed I checked out the reviews for the CHI flat iron and decided to make the plunge and bought one. DUH - that was it! The kick is I never splurged on the CHI b/c of the high price and I could have saved myself the $$ I spent on all those styling products and just bought the dumb CHI iron!!!! So while the Conair worked ok for me there is NO comparison to the CHI.

I am not one who likes to spend $$ on name brand/high end beauty products unless they are worth it and I find they usually aren't - 95% of my cosmetics are bought at CVS but the CHI is worth it so if you can afford to try one don't bother with the Conair.

on 8/5/2007 2:04:00 PM

I bought the Conair Tourmaline 2 inch ceramic straightener after my hairdresser straightened my hair, and I loved the results. She uses a very expensive one; I think mine was $39 at Target...and the results are the same. This straightener heats up in 5 seconds. It doesn't hurt my hair at all, makes it shiny and straight. I highly recommend this: It's reasonably priced, covers a big expanse of hair in a short time, and easy to use with fabulous results for even the most inept hairstylist - me.

on 6/22/2006 12:48:00 PM

My first Conair flat iron worked beautifully, but after a year, the plates broke off. The company must have tried to "upgrade" this product, because the second time round, the iron only heated up to lukewarm after a half hour. Switched to Chi, love it.

on 6/11/2006 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I don't have this model, but I do have a hot tools straightening iron. I tried out my cousins when she came to our house for vacation, and I had to buy one. It makes my normally wavy, thick hair stick straight. It cost a lot for me, because I ordered it online, off an American website, and I'm Canadian, so the shipping was huge amounts of money. But I must say, it was well worth it.

on 3/3/2006 8:17:00 PM

I don't flat iron my hair every day, so I wasn't about to spend over $100 on a flat iron. I wanted something ceramic that would do the job and this one does it beautifully and quickly. It heats quickly and I've had no problems with drying or frizziness, but I use a heat protectant. I have very thick hair with a little bit of natural wave and this iron cuts through it in no time. This is a great product for someone who isn't ready to commit to a high-end iron.

on 11/16/2005 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Buy a conair (formally jilbere) before you buy this. It doesn't fry the hair . . . but that is because it doesn't straighten it. I'm returning and buying the HAI -- well worth the extra 35 dollars!

Top Rated Conair Products