Weleda Skin Food

4.2

Water,Sunflower Seed Oil, Lanolin, Sweet Almond Oil, Alcohol, Beeswax (Cera Flava), Glycerol Linoleate, Hydrolyzed Beeswax, Fragrance*, Viola Tricolor Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Cholestrol, Limonene*, Linalool*, Geraniol*, Citral*, Coumarin*. * From natural essential oils

By far my new favourite skin product. I purchased this after reading reviews stating that people used it under their eyes. As a busy woman who doesn't get much sleep, I was keen to try anything to moisten the dry, crinkly skin under my eyes for a good price. Being 25 I didn't want to have to start using heavy duty eye cream yet, because quite frankly, I spend way too much money on my skin already. It feels lovely on the skin - it sinks in very well if you apply only a small amount (a little goes a long way) and wait a few minutes - go and make a coffee. I use it on top of my tinted sunscreen and its enough to keep my eyes soft and juicy all day long - I don't put makeup on over the top so I'm not sure how it would go with concealer. My skin no longer feels tight and uncomfortable by the end of the day. I also chuck on a big goop at night and it sinks in pretty quickly.

BUT by far the most maaaagical use I have found for this is pimple scar reducing!! I have a very bad knack for attacking my face when I receive a hideous giant pimple that won't flipping flip off. This all started when I had a facial that used just one too many exfoliants on my sensitive skin. My skin was bright red and hot and since I was away with my girlfriends and had a few drinks I thought it would be a really smart idea to pat a small amount of skin food all over my face. I am well aware that this could have resulted in tiny pimples all over my face or a reaction but whatever, YOLO. The next morning I woke up to find that my skin was not only plump and normal coloured and soft and not at all hot any more, but my an old pimple on my face looked much less big and red and scabby. For the next few nights I applied the cream just on my pimple and it was gone in a week. I have never had this before. Normally the stupid red dot stays for weeks and weeks mocking me for giving in to temptation and picking at it, but ha ha, not now! I don't think I would use this all over my face every night as I am a bit wary of clogging up my pores with too much product, but I do use it when my face needs a little TLC and its great. Please try this if you have sensitive skin or very dry skin. Its cheap and if your face doesn't like it then chuck it on your feet and make them beautiful (tip: don't have baby soft feet when you just buy new shoes - you will get blisters).

As far as the smell goes, I like it! I don't think its strong at all and my boyfriend just goes "mmm, lemony". There are plenty of other skin care products which smell MUCH worse. Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream anyone? BLEUGH.

The best natural moisturizing cream I've used - EVER - and I use it solely on my face. Other reviewers have commented on the smell which I agree is not the best but I've smelled far worse and it's tolerable. A bad citrus scent is better than most other bad scents if that makes sense. I really like it, super moisturising and makes the skin feel soft and plump. If you have dry and/or older skin you'll love the thickness but if you don't like heavy creams, you probably won't. Can't say anything bad - except the foil?/aluminium?/tin? tube it comes in (I'm showing my ignorance but I don't know what it is) as it's a little hard to squeeze it all out but such a minor thing for a great cream. Oh, and because the cream is so thick, takes just a touch longer to apply so best to dab small dots around the face but the result is definitely worth it.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Cool

I love this stuff. I normally use it as a hand balm and on occasion put it on my face if I have a dry bit that needs overnight fixing. Don't love the smell but it fades quickly and it's worth it for a product that is super rich and comforting.

I love it even more after a recent allergic reaction that caused my face to dry up and peel. Very tight skin, stinging and uncomfortable. Everything else I tried caused stinging (Eucerin, Aloe Vera) so I put a layer of this on and it has been the only cream that causes no stinging and lasts for a decent amount of time. My skin is drinking lotion so I have had to reapply regularly, but it is brilliant stuff.

Tube is sturdy btw, for those concerned about the packaging. Travelled with it, thrown it the handbag, still going strong.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I used to hate the smell, but I've gotten used to it. Great for winter dry skin.

on 3/1/2015 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Weleda was on sale at our local Whole Foods so I picked up the large tube (2.5 oz.) of Skin Food (the small one was sold out) for $11 - instead of 19. Meanwhile I am not in love. Smells odd - not bad but not great. (The Pomegranate Body Lotion smells great.) Texture is thick and STICKY and does not drink in easily - that said the ingredients are great (lots of safflower oil in there) and useful as a foot treatment (sticky feet at bed time) wrapped in socks.

There is no way I would use this on my face.

Will not re-purchase.

on 1/25/2015 7:27:00 PM

I love this product so much. It's perfect for applying to make up free skin before a run to protect your face from the elements. Otherwise, underneath your foundation for a dewy glow. My only concern is the metal tube seems very easily bent and therefore could split and cause the product to escape!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love Weleda products and this is my favourite face cream at the moment. Perfect as a night cream or as a winter protection day cream. It is very thick, but I love how soft, plump and radiant my skin looks afterwards. For my evening routine I sometimes even pair it with 2-3 drops of rose hip oil to add a little bit of extra nourishment. The smell is herbal and I must admit it took some time to get used to, but now I am totally comfortable with it.

on 12/7/2014 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This cream smells exactly like the stale air in an airplane.

on 9/20/2014 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Great moisturizer for very dry skin (body) like for elbows or hands. It is not a moisturizer for face. It is way too scented, rich and oily for that purpose. I think that the packaging (metalic bottle) is very uncomfortable to use and ugly. Hard to get out the last bit. Costs $18.
Some pople worry about the Lanolin as an ingredient. But according to their website:
Lanolin -
This hydrous wool wax is a natural component of the wool of sheep. It is obtained when the sheep’s wool is sheered. The wax is compatible to the skin due to its oily sebum makeup, comprised of cholesterol like that found in human skin. It possesses the unique ability to absorb twice its own weight in water, protecting the skin against moisture loss. * The sheep that provide Weleda with its Lanolin are not harmed in any way. The Lanolin is extracted from the wool as part of the natural wool-sheering process. Only hypo-allergenic lanolin is used by Weleda, the pesticide residues having been reduced to levels below those for food limits.

on 8/31/2014 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been battling dry under eyes this year. I've applied layers and layers of serums, oils, creams, balms...I've increased my water and EFA supplements... The rest of my skin looks fabulous thanks to these product lines (currently Clarins Super Restorative, but I've gone through CeraVe, Laura Mercier, and others this year), but my poor under eyes are looking a little rough. Well, they were until I started using this under my eyes! I've been dabbing this on over my Clarins Super Restorative Eye Concentrate this week at night (which is not particularly hydrating, but better than others I've tried) and my eyes look years younger! About 95% smoother, hydrated, and dewy (not greasy, just fresh) all day long, when I'm not wearing it! I apply quite a bit (at night) and tap in in all around my eyes (and even into my lashes to condition them, as I use Latisse and it can be drying) until it's translucent, but still thick and shiny. It does sink in overnight, but not completely, which is pretty awesome for us side/tummy sleepers. The mosaic crepey lines have vanished and I'm excited to see if there is any further improvement over the next weeks. It's also worth noting that I apply this as far down as the tops of my cheekbones and I have not broken out whatsoever from this product. I am, quite frankly, very surprised by that, as I have very hormonal, temperamental skin that is prone to milia/whiteheads and big, hard blackheads.

I also use this on my lips. I am highly prone to blackheads on my lip line and am limited to using lighter products there. I can't use pure lanolin or anything of that consistency or thicker (like Blistex lip balms or anything really waxy like that), and even some lipsticks affect me. This doesn't taste good, so I try really hard to avoid licking my lips, but it works beautifully overnight to hydrate my lips and the area around (trying to avoid those lip lines!) and I need nothing else the next day until evening when I apply this again. Sometimes, I do apply it during the day, but not out of necessity...I'm just really enjoying it and it leaves a nice, healthy sheen. I will definitely be repurchasing this once my itty bittie little sample size tube is gone!