Weleda Skin Food

4.2

Water,Sunflower Seed Oil, Lanolin, Sweet Almond Oil, Alcohol, Beeswax (Cera Flava), Glycerol Linoleate, Hydrolyzed Beeswax, Fragrance*, Viola Tricolor Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Cholestrol, Limonene*, Linalool*, Geraniol*, Citral*, Coumarin*. * From natural essential oils

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Cool

I love this stuff. I normally use it as a hand balm and on occasion put it on my face if I have a dry bit that needs overnight fixing. Don't love the smell but it fades quickly and it's worth it for a product that is super rich and comforting.

I love it even more after a recent allergic reaction that caused my face to dry up and peel. Very tight skin, stinging and uncomfortable. Everything else I tried caused stinging (Eucerin, Aloe Vera) so I put a layer of this on and it has been the only cream that causes no stinging and lasts for a decent amount of time. My skin is drinking lotion so I have had to reapply regularly, but it is brilliant stuff.

Tube is sturdy btw, for those concerned about the packaging. Travelled with it, thrown it the handbag, still going strong.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I used to hate the smell, but I've gotten used to it. Great for winter dry skin.

on 3/1/2015 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Weleda was on sale at our local Whole Foods so I picked up the large tube (2.5 oz.) of Skin Food (the small one was sold out) for $11 - instead of 19. Meanwhile I am not in love. Smells odd - not bad but not great. (The Pomegranate Body Lotion smells great.) Texture is thick and STICKY and does not drink in easily - that said the ingredients are great (lots of safflower oil in there) and useful as a foot treatment (sticky feet at bed time) wrapped in socks.

There is no way I would use this on my face.

Will not re-purchase.

on 1/25/2015 7:27:00 PM

I love this product so much. It's perfect for applying to make up free skin before a run to protect your face from the elements. Otherwise, underneath your foundation for a dewy glow. My only concern is the metal tube seems very easily bent and therefore could split and cause the product to escape!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love Weleda products and this is my favourite face cream at the moment. Perfect as a night cream or as a winter protection day cream. It is very thick, but I love how soft, plump and radiant my skin looks afterwards. For my evening routine I sometimes even pair it with 2-3 drops of rose hip oil to add a little bit of extra nourishment. The smell is herbal and I must admit it took some time to get used to, but now I am totally comfortable with it.

on 12/7/2014 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This cream smells exactly like the stale air in an airplane.

on 9/20/2014 4:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Great moisturizer for very dry skin (body) like for elbows or hands. It is not a moisturizer for face. It is way too scented, rich and oily for that purpose. I think that the packaging (metalic bottle) is very uncomfortable to use and ugly. Hard to get out the last bit. Costs $18.
Some pople worry about the Lanolin as an ingredient. But according to their website:
Lanolin -
This hydrous wool wax is a natural component of the wool of sheep. It is obtained when the sheep’s wool is sheered. The wax is compatible to the skin due to its oily sebum makeup, comprised of cholesterol like that found in human skin. It possesses the unique ability to absorb twice its own weight in water, protecting the skin against moisture loss. * The sheep that provide Weleda with its Lanolin are not harmed in any way. The Lanolin is extracted from the wool as part of the natural wool-sheering process. Only hypo-allergenic lanolin is used by Weleda, the pesticide residues having been reduced to levels below those for food limits.

on 8/31/2014 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been battling dry under eyes this year. I've applied layers and layers of serums, oils, creams, balms...I've increased my water and EFA supplements... The rest of my skin looks fabulous thanks to these product lines (currently Clarins Super Restorative, but I've gone through CeraVe, Laura Mercier, and others this year), but my poor under eyes are looking a little rough. Well, they were until I started using this under my eyes! I've been dabbing this on over my Clarins Super Restorative Eye Concentrate this week at night (which is not particularly hydrating, but better than others I've tried) and my eyes look years younger! About 95% smoother, hydrated, and dewy (not greasy, just fresh) all day long, when I'm not wearing it! I apply quite a bit (at night) and tap in in all around my eyes (and even into my lashes to condition them, as I use Latisse and it can be drying) until it's translucent, but still thick and shiny. It does sink in overnight, but not completely, which is pretty awesome for us side/tummy sleepers. The mosaic crepey lines have vanished and I'm excited to see if there is any further improvement over the next weeks. It's also worth noting that I apply this as far down as the tops of my cheekbones and I have not broken out whatsoever from this product. I am, quite frankly, very surprised by that, as I have very hormonal, temperamental skin that is prone to milia/whiteheads and big, hard blackheads.

I also use this on my lips. I am highly prone to blackheads on my lip line and am limited to using lighter products there. I can't use pure lanolin or anything of that consistency or thicker (like Blistex lip balms or anything really waxy like that), and even some lipsticks affect me. This doesn't taste good, so I try really hard to avoid licking my lips, but it works beautifully overnight to hydrate my lips and the area around (trying to avoid those lip lines!) and I need nothing else the next day until evening when I apply this again. Sometimes, I do apply it during the day, but not out of necessity...I'm just really enjoying it and it leaves a nice, healthy sheen. I will definitely be repurchasing this once my itty bittie little sample size tube is gone!

on 3/15/2014 5:08:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

...It's about time I wrote a review for Skin Food! This has been, without a doubt, my most faithfully carried-around moisturizer. Ever.

Hands: I am a rock climbing instructor and a part-time landscaper. My hands are calloused due to these factors, and when I do not use Skin Food, they dry out, crack, and bleed. They would be so disgusting without Skin Food. Seriously, I have tried soooo many intensive gardening hand creams, it is stupid. Yet, Skin Food moisturized better than any of them!

Body: I get eczema on my elbows, and this helps it heal! If I ever notice it getting bad (lets be honest, how often do people notice the skin on their elbows), I use this and it is *poof!* smooth and supple within the week! I use it on my knees, and I use it on my heels before sandal time. I use this on my legs if they are dried out from shaving, and they glo like a freakin' goddesses. The. Best.

Face: I have hereditary dark circles around my eyes, so have used heavy concealers around them since I was 13. Since concealers are REALLY drying, it's made me have fine lines under my eyes long before my time (I first noticed them when I was 22). I started putting Skin Food around my eyes (under sunscreen and the concealer) and *BHAM!* they are hydrated, my eyes lines vanish- at least for a little while. This is pretty close to a miracle cream, but you know, it's a cream not a silicone, so I have to reapply every six-eight hours. NBD. I use it on the rest of my SUPER sensitive SUPER acne-prone face when it gets dry patches (I have combination skin- but it seems to be extreme combination? Oh why can't I have normal skin...) and it moisturizes without breaking me out. I have only used this on my face in times of emergency, so can't say if I wouldn't break out with continued usage. I would say not an all-over everyday kind of facial moisturizer.

On Planes: I travel a lot. Planes are like tepid deserts. This WILL moisturize yo face and hands and whatever else is left parched while flying (maybe even your throat? The ingrediants at Weleda are always edible, so... I mean, I wouldn't. But do what you need to).

Fun Fact: A good friend of mine just did a study in Mongolia for the UN on how the seabuckthorn (that's what's making that delightful citrus scent in yo Skin Food) helps reverse desertification by afixing water and nitrogen into soil. This is a whole plant function, not merely fruit function (which is the only part of the plant in Skin Food), but it does seem like moisturizing is the seabuckthorn's purpose for being!

Smell: Citrusy and delicious, thanks to the aforementioned seabuckthorn berries. Yum!

Texture: Thick as my grandma's middle. This works well for all purposes, except for general coverage of the face. In that case, apply Skin Food evenly to hands, pat hands on face until desired amount is absorbed. Do this while rubbing your tummy (jk).

Packaging: I have had my current tube (my third!) for one year. I have used it daily and it has lasted. I have thrown it into every purse and backpack I have carried during that time, and it has accompanied me to four different countries without exploding, praise the lawd! I love that the tube is metal, so that when I start running out of Skin Food, I can roll it to get more product. The green colour of the tube is unique enough that I can find my Skin Food at the bottom of the most disorganized pack while rumaging with a headlamp. In a sandstorm.

Buy Again: forever and ever, ahem.

on 3/9/2014 1:48:00 PM

I have acne-prone skin that I treat with prescription Differin (Adapaline), and Weleda Skin Food has been a miracle product for me. The Differin (and winter) dries me out and dehydrates my skin, and the Skin Food replenishes it without breaking me out. In fact, I feel like it helps the Differin do its job of acne treatment and prevention. I've read here that a lot of people don't like the lanolin in the product, but it doesn't seem to bother my face at all, and for some reason seems to help me. My skin has never looked better. I use it as a night cream every night and when I'm feeling particularly dry I sometimes use it as a day cream under makeup (in this case giving it extra time to sink in because it's so emollient). I also use it on my elbows, heels, cuticles and hands. I keep a tube at work. I love the fragrance, and the price is unbeatable!

Popular Moisturizers