October 20, 2014 | 1951 users online

Moisturizers - Weleda - Skin Food

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2014 4:10:00 AM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great moisturizer for very dry skin (body) like for elbows or hands. It is not a moisturizer for face. It is way too scented, rich and oily for that purpose. I think that the packaging (metalic bottle) is very uncomfortable to use and ugly. Hard to get out the last bit. Costs $18.
Some pople worry about the Lanolin as an ingredient. But according to their website:
Lanolin -
This hydrous wool wax is a natural component of the wool of sheep. It is obtained when the sheep’s wool is sheered. The wax is compatible to the skin due to its oily sebum makeup, comprised of cholesterol like that found in human skin. It possesses the unique ability to absorb twice its own weight in water, protecting the skin against moisture loss. * The sheep that provide Weleda with its Lanolin are not harmed in any way. The Lanolin is extracted from the wool as part of the natural wool-sheering process. Only hypo-allergenic lanolin is used by Weleda, the pesticide residues having been reduced to levels below those for food limits.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2014 12:15:00 PM More reviews by Slone07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been battling dry under eyes this year. I've applied layers and layers of serums, oils, creams, balms...I've increased my water and EFA supplements... The rest of my skin looks fabulous thanks to these product lines (currently Clarins Super Restorative, but I've gone through CeraVe, Laura Mercier, and others this year), but my poor under eyes are looking a little rough. Well, they were until I started using this under my eyes! I've been dabbing this on over my Clarins Super Restorative Eye Concentrate this week at night (which is not particularly hydrating, but better than others I've tried) and my eyes look years younger! About 95% smoother, hydrated, and dewy (not greasy, just fresh) all day long, when I'm not wearing it! I apply quite a bit (at night) and tap in in all around my eyes (and even into my lashes to condition them, as I use Latisse and it can be drying) until it's translucent, but still thick and shiny. It does sink in overnight, but not completely, which is pretty awesome for us side/tummy sleepers. The mosaic crepey lines have vanished and I'm excited to see if there is any further improvement over the next weeks. It's also worth noting that I apply this as far down as the tops of my cheekbones and I have not broken out whatsoever from this product. I am, quite frankly, very surprised by that, as I have very hormonal, temperamental skin that is prone to milia/whiteheads and big, hard blackheads.

I also use this on my lips. I am highly prone to blackheads on my lip line and am limited to using lighter products there. I can't use pure lanolin or anything of that consistency or thicker (like Blistex lip balms or anything really waxy like that), and even some lipsticks affect me. This doesn't taste good, so I try really hard to avoid licking my lips, but it works beautifully overnight to hydrate my lips and the area around (trying to avoid those lip lines!) and I need nothing else the next day until evening when I apply this again. Sometimes, I do apply it during the day, but not out of necessity...I'm just really enjoying it and it leaves a nice, healthy sheen. I will definitely be repurchasing this once my itty bittie little sample size tube is gone!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 5:08:00 AM More reviews by ishkae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

...It's about time I wrote a review for Skin Food! This has been, without a doubt, my most faithfully carried-around moisturizer. Ever.

Hands: I am a rock climbing instructor and a part-time landscaper. My hands are calloused due to these factors, and when I do not use Skin Food, they dry out, crack, and bleed. They would be so disgusting without Skin Food. Seriously, I have tried soooo many intensive gardening hand creams, it is stupid. Yet, Skin Food moisturized better than any of them!

Body: I get eczema on my elbows, and this helps it heal! If I ever notice it getting bad (lets be honest, how often do people notice the skin on their elbows), I use this and it is *poof!* smooth and supple within the week! I use it on my knees, and I use it on my heels before sandal time. I use this on my legs if they are dried out from shaving, and they glo like a freakin' goddesses. The. Best.

Face: I have hereditary dark circles around my eyes, so have used heavy concealers around them since I was 13. Since concealers are REALLY drying, it's made me have fine lines under my eyes long before my time (I first noticed them when I was 22). I started putting Skin Food around my eyes (under sunscreen and the concealer) and *BHAM!* they are hydrated, my eyes lines vanish- at least for a little while. This is pretty close to a miracle cream, but you know, it's a cream not a silicone, so I have to reapply every six-eight hours. NBD. I use it on the rest of my SUPER sensitive SUPER acne-prone face when it gets dry patches (I have combination skin- but it seems to be extreme combination? Oh why can't I have normal skin...) and it moisturizes without breaking me out. I have only used this on my face in times of emergency, so can't say if I wouldn't break out with continued usage. I would say not an all-over everyday kind of facial moisturizer.

On Planes: I travel a lot. Planes are like tepid deserts. This WILL moisturize yo face and hands and whatever else is left parched while flying (maybe even your throat? The ingrediants at Weleda are always edible, so... I mean, I wouldn't. But do what you need to).

Fun Fact: A good friend of mine just did a study in Mongolia for the UN on how the seabuckthorn (that's what's making that delightful citrus scent in yo Skin Food) helps reverse desertification by afixing water and nitrogen into soil. This is a whole plant function, not merely fruit function (which is the only part of the plant in Skin Food), but it does seem like moisturizing is the seabuckthorn's purpose for being!

Smell: Citrusy and delicious, thanks to the aforementioned seabuckthorn berries. Yum!

Texture: Thick as my grandma's middle. This works well for all purposes, except for general coverage of the face. In that case, apply Skin Food evenly to hands, pat hands on face until desired amount is absorbed. Do this while rubbing your tummy (jk).

Packaging: I have had my current tube (my third!) for one year. I have used it daily and it has lasted. I have thrown it into every purse and backpack I have carried during that time, and it has accompanied me to four different countries without exploding, praise the lawd! I love that the tube is metal, so that when I start running out of Skin Food, I can roll it to get more product. The green colour of the tube is unique enough that I can find my Skin Food at the bottom of the most disorganized pack while rumaging with a headlamp. In a sandstorm.

Buy Again: forever and ever, ahem.

42 out of 42 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2014 1:48:00 PM More reviews by akmann

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have acne-prone skin that I treat with prescription Differin (Adapaline), and Weleda Skin Food has been a miracle product for me. The Differin (and winter) dries me out and dehydrates my skin, and the Skin Food replenishes it without breaking me out. In fact, I feel like it helps the Differin do its job of acne treatment and prevention. I've read here that a lot of people don't like the lanolin in the product, but it doesn't seem to bother my face at all, and for some reason seems to help me. My skin has never looked better. I use it as a night cream every night and when I'm feeling particularly dry I sometimes use it as a day cream under makeup (in this case giving it extra time to sink in because it's so emollient). I also use it on my elbows, heels, cuticles and hands. I keep a tube at work. I love the fragrance, and the price is unbeatable!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 6:38:00 AM More reviews by nickys79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

Finally.. something for my incredibly dry, lifeless skin, I use this on my face every 2nd night and on my very flaky calves every day, it has changed my skin DRAMATICALLY it's absolutely incredible, I tried it after hearing someone on youtube say they use it whilst travelling as airplanes suck the life out you! I immediately bought 3 tubes after I saw the difference and I keep them in my office/ living room/ bathroom and practically bathe myself in it, love love love it!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by valerian

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love skin food, its natural and feels and works great. Ive read some reviews and it seems that some people are underwhelmed with it, the same way I was when I tried Dr Haushskas Rose cream the first time until I learned how to apply it correctly. (both this and skin food are very similar in texture)

When applying either cream to the face, neck and decolletage, never apply it like a traditional moisturiser. It will feel thick, gloopy and not nice.
After cleansing, toning etc, get a pea size blob between fingers, spread over the palms of hands and press/ pat on the areas you wish it to be applied to. Keep pressing and you will find that within a few minutes, skin will feel moisturised but not oily or shiny.

Applying either skin food or Haushka rose cream in this way will mean that it can be used before make up in the daytime and wont overload the skin when used as a night treatment.

Hope this helps anyone who may have tossed this great product aside, and also note, this is how I use oil blends when applied to the facial skin, it lets the skin absorb the goodness without leaving an oil slick situation.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 3:23:00 AM More reviews by Missconsistency

Wow the Weleda skin food really got the job done of actually softening and healing my roughened damaged skin from washing a lot dish with Ajax Lemon Dishwash liquid soap without gloves!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/1/2014 11:28:00 PM More reviews by Flurby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't get what everyone sees in this cream. I have very dry hands and elbows, so I wanted to try this for this purpose, but no luck! Does not sink in, smells horrible, does not moisturise anything. It basically just sits on top of the skin and does nothing. Will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2013 12:06:00 AM More reviews by KSchumann

I received a tube of Weleda skin food several years ago. At the time I didn't understand the hype but enjoyed the smell on rough winter hands. Years later my skin has changed to extremely dry. Where once I would never have considered putting this on my acne prone combination skin, times have changed. Since I'm nearly 50 I've noticed my skin drying out. Residual retin a use has left me with severely dry and flaking skin. My skin care routine has changed. I now incorporate several emboli ants in an effort to balance my skin. Lately that has included Cereave Hydrating Cleanser and Moosturizing lotion. I remove the days makeup and grime with coconut oil followed by the cerave products. I then tap a small amount of the skin food over my facial skin. On the residual burned area I apply 40% zinc diaper cream to hear the small burned patches. A final tapping on of the cerave, or coconut oil or skin food keeps my skin hydrated all night. The way it feels when my estitician has given me a moisturizing treatment. A year ago I would never have thought I would be dousing my acne prone skin this way, but it is working. I love the healing feel of the Weleda Skin Food as well as the scent. I also use it on my hands and cuticles as well as rough patches on my body. I love it most out of all my skin care products.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by linkd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The only thing I do not like about Weleda skin is that is has lanolin as an ingredient. I do not want to put that stuff on my face. However, it feel nice to patch on my elbows, legs and whenever needed now that is winter where I live. I like that it comes in a tube and the smell is fine.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No