September 16, 2014 | 1837 users online

Skincare - Face - Merle Norman - Miracol creamy formula revitalizing cream

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2013 7:47:00 PM More reviews by freyasfeathers

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my favorite mask. It offends/stimulates the senses like no other. Its highly scented-like strong pinesol and suntan lotion mixed together. Makes me want to scrub a beach house somewhere in my bathing suit.
It (almost) hurts. This mask gets tight! Dont smile, frown etc for 15 mins or it will crack your face. The best part is that is actually works. I know its just egg white and a couple other things, but it does work. This was part of Merle Normans original “Three Steps to Beauty” of Miracol, Cold Cream and Powder Base. I have all 3 and it is my favorite routine. I found an old pamphlet on how it was originally used and its a little different than the instructions now.
Original instructions from the 50's:
1)Apply cold cream in generous dots to face and neck. Leave on a few seconds and tissue off. Reapply cold cream to same area, do not tissue off before using Miracol
2) Apply Miracol evenly over face with fingertips. Avoid hairline, eyes and lips. Leave on for 15 mins or until dry. Rinse with cool water or tepid water. Pat dry
3) Apply a thin layer of Powder Base after using Miracol. Always apply Powder Base after Miracol.

I actually use it this way exactly and I get the best results, I think using the cold cream and leaving some on and then applying the miracol makes it hurt less and draws out more gunk. Kinda like OCM in theory. The Powder Base is emollient enough that I do not have to use a moisturizer first and because it has zinc oxide (and alot of it) it keeps oil breakthrough in check and acne at bay. Of all the trial and error I've done, who would have thought a regime from the 1930's works best....and the current Merle Norman shops don't even advertise this, which is a shame.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by mmizell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Awesome for any skin age! To prevent sagging and to make skin refined, pores disappear, and the look/feel of glass like skin is awesome! And one of the original products of Merle Norman.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2013 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Silva101

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this at the mall just to get rid of pimples and make my skin more healthy looking. I had no idea what I was buying. I got home and used it, and instantly my face was clean and smooth! I tried some on my grandpa and it even removed some of his wrinkles! My mom kept bugging me about why it was pink though. It smelled nasty. This was definitely worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2012 11:07:00 AM More reviews by sassylass

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If this product is a play on the word "miracle," I understand why. After my first use, my skin was bright and blemishes were diminished. I use it as a spot treatment for blemishes when they start to appear. I love this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2011 11:58:00 AM More reviews by dalirumi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this since i was a teenager (about 30 years ago) and it's fantastic in every way. I started using it as a way to control acne and probably had a total of less than 20 zits from 13 to 24. Now that I'm older I have larger pores and this product works instantly and shows long-term improvement when I do use it regularly - about 1x a week.

This product, in my opinion, is a must try if you're searching for an acne or pore solution.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2011 10:01:00 PM More reviews by jessicaflox

I really wanted to try this product, due to my large pores and generally oily skin. Being in Australia and Merle Norman not selling their products online, I have been unable to, please take this into account when reading my review. I did want to post though, in response to trixie1803 very helpfully listing the ingredients*. I decided to see if there was a similar product and did some research into the ingredients. Albumen is obviously egg white, which is great, and have been doing eggs white masks, which have been fanastic for tigthening pores, at least temporarily. I figured my results weren't as good as what I had read here, so I decided to see what the other ingredients were and how they might have an effect. Sodium Hydroxide, is caustic soda, which no doubt has an exfoliating effect, but there is no way I would knowingly put this on my skin. Sodium borate is Borax, which is naturally occuring and a great household cleaning product, however it is extremely drying (hence it is great for killing mould). I would have thought Borax would be overdrying for the skin, and could lead to premature ageing. I assume the sodium hydroxide and sodium borate are in very small quantities, as most people seem to love this product. This does explain how the mask would be refining, as borax tends to whiten and caustic soda would remove dead skin cells. However I'm less keen to try this product now I know how it works. I'm going to buy some powdered egg whites today to see if I can avoid cracking an egg very time I want to do an egg white mask, I will review how this goes. Hope this review helps, and sorry if I've put a negative spin on a product which a lot of people love.

Edit:
*These are the ingredients listed by previous reviewer: Water, dextrin, albumen, sodium borate, fragrance, sambucus nigra flower powder, red 28 (CI 45410), diazolidinyl urea, yellow 5 (CI 19140), sodium hydroxide, trisodium edta 120905.

I can't confirm whether these ingredients accurate or not, so apologies if it is not. Dextrin is a thickener, sambucus nigra flower is elder flower (may be worth looking into), diazolidinyl urea is a preservative, trisodium edta is a kind of binder that preserves the consistency of products, very common.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2011 12:02:00 AM More reviews by vinte90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product!! I have huge pores and often get blackheads and the occasional zits. This product really tightens your skin (in a good way). It was an instant change that I noticed. I put the mask on for about 20 minutes, and when I rinsed it off after having only used it once my pores were so much smaller and my blackheads seem to have disappeared with them! I will definitely buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2010 11:48:00 PM More reviews by kristalblair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this product in 2008, and it is going on year 2011 and I still have a fourth a tube left. I may still be relatively young, but I do have hyperpigmentation however small, but a few spots that are darker than my skin nonetheless. I love this product in combination with Bio Oil. For me, I find that it has a face lift effect, without ever having to actually get a face lift! Ha! It also clears my pores, evens my skintone, and clears up spots! What more can you ask for?

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 5:23:00 PM More reviews by sazzygurl

This is one of my favorite masks. I use it once a week or so for 20 mins. I have large pores on and around my nose and this mask helps minimize them. It makes my skin feel baby smooth after using. The smell is strong and isnt too pleasant but I have smelt worst mask then this one. Also the people who noted it was difficult and painful and needed a chisel to remove, this isnt a peeling mask! You wash your face with warm water to remove the mask (as said in the instuctions) and it involves no pain at all. I will defiantly re-buy once I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2010 11:43:00 PM More reviews by MGGWNelson

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

20 years ago I had an acne problem and started using Miracol everyday. My skin got worse for the first two weeks. For the first time in my life I stuck to something even when it seemed to be going bad. The people at Merle Norman convinced me to keep using it. The next two weeks after that it started to get better and after a total of 6 weeks my skin looked great for the first time in a long time. There is nothing else like it on the market...it was truly a 'miracle' worker for me. It works great as a spot treatment at night. You have to try it to believe it. Both of my children have used it...my son didn't even mind the pink b/c it worked! Miracol is a deep pore cleanser that is great for any skin type and you will feel the difference in your skin the first time you try it :)