July 23, 2014 | 1866 users online

Shampoo - Queen Helene - Mint Julep Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Retrohousewife

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

They need to bring this back. I am running out of my stock pile from right before it was discontinued. This is the only shampoo I have found that is gentle, but effective. It doesn't strip and dry out my hair like other shampoos that are full of sulfates. The mint smell is heavenly and tingles the scalp just enough.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by PAPADSLma

BRING THIS SHAMPOO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am 48 and I have pretty much been using Mint Julep shampoo my entire life. My mother is a beautician and she always told me to use a different shampoo every once in awhile, so I have, but my everyday shampoo has pretty much always been Mint Julep. I DON'T WANT TO USE THE STINKY FRUITY SHAMPOOS FROM THE GROCERY STORE/WALMART OR SHAMPOOS WITH A TON OF CONDITIONERS IN THEM THAT WEIGH MY HAIR DOWN LIKE A TON OF BRICKS!!!!!
If Twinkies can make a comeback, so can Mint Julep shampoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2012 2:04:00 PM More reviews by IrisMartin

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

So sad. I just love this gentle, non-drying, sulfate-free "classic" from Queen Helene...it is unbelievable that they, after all these many, many, years, have discontinued it.

Yup, you read right. I called the company to make sure. They stopped making it, but the customer service rep could not tell me why.

Queen Helene is now owned by Hain-Celestial so I'm sure some out of touch man only concerned with the bottom-line made this groetesque decision.

I can't believe they stopped making it.

If you are as upset as I am about this, call the company and make your opinion known. Apparently, despite my telling them, this company cares not to read reviews on this shampoo from Makeupalley.com or Amazon or anywhere else. If they had, they would have seen how many people, espeically women, love this product.

Here is Queen Helene's number:
1-800-645-3752
Monday-Friday,
7am-5pm Mountain Time

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2012 2:55:00 PM More reviews by xblackxnxwhitex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm not sure why there are so many bad reviews of this. It's a mild, SLS & Cone free shampoo that my husband and I use in place of body wash daily. I love the scent as it's menthol oil not perfumey. I just started co-washing so I will only use this as needed as a shampoo. However my husband and I prefer using it non-diluted, even in the hair. What I like the most about it is the limited ingredients list and for the price it is unmatched. Multi purpose as it makes a great body wash. My hair is on the dry side so using a rich conditioner with this leaves my hair feeling like it soaked up the moisture versus just sitting on it. Give it a try. In the least it makes a good body wash.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2012 10:26:00 PM More reviews by Xceptional96

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm african-american, and I have relaxed hair, and I am trying to transition to my natural hair, so I wanted a sulfate-free shampoo.I bought it for $1.99 . Originally I thought it wasn't going to be about nothing, because it said dilute it with a whole gallon of water. I did just that. It has the consistency of water of course, but it lathers like some really thick shampoo. The first lather did really well more so than some regular shampoo, and usually I would see no type of lather the first wash because thats basically getting the oil or gunk off the hair itself. The second lather was wonderful and lather just as much or more than the expensive shampoos I buy. Thus, it really surprised me. I think it working really has something to do with your hair type, but for mines, it did wonders.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2011 9:15:00 PM More reviews by crazihippichic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a gentle, non-SLS shampoo. This had limited ingredients so I thought it might be easier on my sensitive scalp. WRONG! This stuff is toxic to my hair and scalp. I have only used it twice and won't be letting it anywhere near my head ever again. Yes, I diluted it. I put 2 ounces into 2 cups of water....tthen added a Tbs. of that to warm water in order to shampoo my scalp. So it was doubly diluted. It leaves my hair feeling limp and coated, dries my scalp out and makes it itch and flake, and my hair shed out by the handfuls. I will be avoiding this like the plague.

NOTE: I am sitting here with a horribly itchy scalp as I type.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2011 1:27:00 AM More reviews by In2th3night

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just got this from Sally Beauty supply today...I diluted this into an 8oz. flip top clear bottle - (1oz of the shampoo and then filled the rest with water). I got this because I really love rosemary-mint body products and shampoo and I really wanted to try another sulfate free shampoo. This is GREAT , I love it! This made my hair soft and shiny! It did not make it feel squeeky and dry like L'oreal's sulfate free shampoo does. I have an oily scalp and dry/color treated hair...and I don't wash everyday...maybe twice a week. In my opinion, you must water it down before use...really helps....this does not lather much at all....kinda like Burt's Bees shampoo (pomegranate soy?) I think that is why a lot of people don't like this.Oh yeah , when I shampoo , I scrub gently into my scalp only...and let the product rinse through the rest of my hair naturally(my hair is bra-strap length) Hope this helps in your decision.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 4:43:00 PM More reviews by lithelune

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE IT! I have very long, very straight hair, and it tends to get very flat on top. No volumizing shampoo I have ever used gave me this much volume! You are supposed to dilute it in 1-2 gal of water (I use 1), so it can be a bit of a pain to find an appropriate container, but it is worth it.

This product completely strips your hair of any residue, but it can be hard to work up a lather. I like to use a moisturizing shampoo first, then use this for my second wash. It lathers up much easier this way. You can actually feel how squeeky-clean your tresses get. This also works great as a body wash, though I have not yet ventured to use it on my face. The smell is yummy and lingers throughout the day, so I smell like a walking stick of Wriggly's. Guys love it ;)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2009 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Peskypixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My poor husband is finishing this up. Thought it would be great to get my oily hair clean, disappointing. Never got any suds, does clean a bit better only diluted into a half gallon bottle. Won't repurchase- a bad deal for the $2.79 I paid.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2009 11:45:00 PM More reviews by fetishdolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

EDIT: I did find one nifty use for this product. It works rather well on the face. It seems more refreshing and it's not harsh on skin, than the hair. I think I am keeping it around for a face wash.

I am so sad, as I wanted to love this so much. It smells like spearmint, doesn't lather, and it doesn't seem to clean hair very well. Even though this is mint, it doesn't tingle or anything. It also felt drying to my hair afterwards. I bought it because I thought it would be great to try a sulfate-free shampoo to try. It does fail in hair care.