Joico K-PAK Chelating Shampoo

(as of 2014): Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Glycol Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Cocambopropyl Betaine, Stearic Acid, hydrolyzed Hair Keratin, Laurdimonium Hodroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Hair Keratin, Hydrolyzed Keratin PG-Propyl Methylsilanediol, Thioctic Acid, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Psidium Guajava Fruit Extract, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Aleurites Moluccana Seed oil, Glycolipids, Hyaluronic Acid, Allantoin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Dimethicone PEG-7 Cocoate, Hydroxyethycellulose, Acrylates/Aminoacrylates/c10-30 Alkyl PEG-20 Itaconate Copolymer, Pentasodium Pentetate, Benzophenone-4, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Aminomethyl Propanol, DMDM Hydantoin, Methychloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance/Parfum.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I got this to use before my usual shampoo a couple times a week since I tend to have an oily scalp. It works amazingly, removing the excess oil along with all of the build up of silicone, hard water, etc. I start with a clean slate everytime I use it, and it does all that without drying your hair!! It also smells amazing. I would definetely recommend this to everyone. It's easily the best clarifying shampoo I have ever used. It is a little pricey for the size (16 USD for 10.1 Oz,) but it lasts forever so it's worth it in the end.

on 8/9/2015 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love it, clarifies without drying . Hair is left so soft.

on 11/20/2014 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I used this on my hair for a few minutes, rinsed and applied Joico K Pak, then I used a silicone-free conditioner (Terax Crema) and my hair felt beautiful and looked SHINY after I air dried it (no styling products applied). My hair almost never friggin' looks shiny. Formerly, my favorite clarifying and chelating shampoo was Redken Cleansing Cream, but this is a close second! Very impressed. Will definitely buy again.

* This product has had a name change from chelating shampoo to clarifying shampoo*

Love this gentle but effective clarifying shampoo. Creamy, foamed well, smelt heavenly, and my hair felt nice after I rinsed, not like it had been stripped the way some clarifying shampoos make you hair feel. I always follow up with a protein/deep moisturizing treatment when I use this once a week. A good clarifying shampoo is a must have if you use a multitude of styling products on your hair like I do.
One thing I don't like is the design of Joico shampoo and conditioner bottles. They are too brittle, the flip up lid snapped off on the first use of this shampoo bottle, which was annoying. I would be cautious traveling with these, definitely decant first!

This is the best clarifying/chelating shampoo ever! I completely changed my haircare routine, so I don't know if this product is the only one that makes my hair so soft and healthy, but it seems to help a lot ! I have very damaged hair, and this product meets my expectations. I use this in conjunction with the the cuticle sealer and the revitaluxe bio-advanced restorative hair treatment and the restorative styling oil from the same brand.

on 11/16/2013 2:28:00 PM

This shampoo is so amazing.

I've been living in an area with extremely hard water for about two years now, and it has been taking a toll on both my hair and my skin. After trying several "normal" shampoos, I looked up my problem online and found out that I needed a chelating shampoo instead. A chelating shampoo, such as this one, works to remove the mineral deposits that hard water leaves in your hair (whereas a clarifying shampoo strips your hair of dirt and oils).

The very first time I used this, my hair was transformed. It was silky, soft, shiny, voluminous and had bounce to it. I hadn't seen my hair look like that in years!

I've seen some people on here say that it was too harsh for them, because they used it once a week. This shampoo, unless you have serious buildup problems with minerals, would be better used once every two weeks, and is optimal when followed by a deep conditioning treatment right after. It also might seem like a lot of money for a shampoo, but think of this as more of a treatment...if you use it once every two weeks, it lasts a really long time. When I used it at that rate, a bottle lasted me for a year. If hard water is wreaking havoc on your hair, try this shampoo. Just don't over do it :)

(OH, and another tip: don't leave this shampoo sitting in your shower, if water gets into the bottle the shampoo will try to remove the minerals and it will get lumpy)

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I wanted to use this specially because I get a lot of build-up on my scalp and not only was it weighing my hair down, but other products were no longer effective. I heard a lot about this product and it is rated pretty much the best in its type (I may try the Redken once after I finish this bottle - which will take forever since I use it pretty sparingly).

First use - I found that it did not lather AT ALL. It was sort of like running conditioner through my hair without the creamy feel. However, it went through my bushy, knotty hair very easily and my hair felt cleaner than it had in ages (the last time I felt the same way I was using baking soda as a hair cleanser for the first time). I applied the L'Oreal Mythic Oil masque after that, but I can't say it was more effective. Not sure whether I can blame Joico for that. Mythic Oil feels great when you're applying but after you dry your hair, there's no difference. I was hoping it would make a difference THIS time.

Second time - it lathered quite well surprisingly. My hair felt dry - as it always does - but less bushy and flyaway.

I only use it once a week max as it contains sulfates (as some others have mentioned, that's surprising in a shampoo that's supposed to REMOVE build-up). I'm going to use it before my next colouring job to see if the colour applies better but I am hesitant to use it after colouring in case it strips colour.

on 4/25/2013 3:20:00 PM

This isn't just for product buildup, but also for hard water buildup. If you have white spots on glasses and in the shower, you have hard water. This can dry out your hair, and really do a number on it. Instead of reaching for the conditioner, give this a try, it made a tremendously good difference in my hair, it's so much softer, but full of volume. I've tried other clarifying shampoos, but I don't think they do anything for hard water. By the way, I think the current version is called Clarifying, but it still has the same ingredients and is still chelating. Highly recommended.

on 10/14/2012 10:11:00 PM

this was a decent clarifying shampoo for once a week. however, maybe i did not need it once a week? maybe i only needed it for once every 2 weeks? because after the second time using it, my hair looked like it was in bad condition haha. it got rid of build up though! also VERY drying, i do not know if this is with all clarifying shampoos? The only non-drying one was the pureology one that i tried....USE a good hydrating conditioner after!

on 8/2/2012 8:42:00 AM

I use an organic/natural shampoo all month long but I have incorporated this shampoo into my routine about twice a month.

I love organic but when I use hair products my hair starts to seem a bit heavy after a while.. I wanted something that would really clarify my hair and this does the trick.

I used to use redkin products religiously but my hair became dry, frizzy, dull and unmanageable. So of course I would add more products to fix those issues without ever stopping to think that perhaps it was my shampoo that was the problem.

I switched to an organic shampoo and even from the first wash my hair already became softer and more shiny. After a week it was hardly frizzy anymore and so smooth. I have been organic for 2 years now and no longer need to use products that add shine and cut down friz and make hair sleek.

After using Joico Chelating Shampoo, my hair is more bouncy and really light. Its also really really shiny. On the down side I need to wash my hair sooner the next time as it gets oily quicker and I had forgotten how much shampoo burns when it gets in your eye.. haha... the worst my organic shampoo can do is make my eye feel minty fresh... it also feels a little drier.

I wouldn't use this product more often as I feel my hair may become damaged again but I will definitely be sticking to this routine for now as it seems to be working for me.