November 21, 2014 | 1713 users online

Shampoo - Alba Botanica - Natural Hawaiian Drink It Up Coconut Milk Shampoo

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by zombiejo89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hair is very important to me so finding a natural shampoo and conditioner is important to me. When I saw that this shampoo was vegan and sulfate free I had to give it a try. I bought the shampoo and conditioner. After my first wash with the shampoo I was already put off by the gel-like consistency of it and after rinsing it out my hair felt stripped and almost "squeaky" clean. The conditioner was very moisturizing though so I continued to use them. overall I would say I felt as though I was playing games with my hair using this product stripping all natural oils and then adding moisture back with the conditioner. I would buy the conditioner again if it were on sale but will not buy the shampoo. I prefer Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

My 3a curly color-treated hair is dry, and my scalp is dry and sensitive. This shampoo irritated my scalp and made it itch, and it made my hair very dry and fly-away. It might be a good shampoo for normal hair, though.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/30/2013 12:18:00 PM More reviews by oldiesgirl

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried this shampoo after reading some of the reviews and because I love anything coconut scented. Unfortunatlely the only positive thing is the fragrence. The coconut scent is lovely and natural, not chemical smelling. My hair is fine/wavy not too dry or oily and this product left my hair dark and dried out. I've used it a few times to be sure and each time was the same.
I guess I will have to continue my search.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2013 9:30:00 PM More reviews by bailokaye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Really liking this shampoo. Isn't drying at all which is great, I have such a hard time finding shampoos that work because I have really dry scalp/seborrheic dermatitis. Smells very sweet and coconutty/pineappley but not strong or headache inducing! Rinses clean too. I just really wish it had a pump bottle. I got mine on iherb.com, you can use this code GWT337 for up to $10 off your order.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2013 1:41:00 AM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am in the search for a new shampoo after Redken All Soft's formula was dramatically altered in 2012, and I have tried many shampoo/conditioner pairs - with no luck so far.

Because I'm entering the desperation stage, when I stumbled upon this at Target in the organics-ranges aisle (not the shampoo/conditioner aisles), I thought I'd give it a try.

Prior to use, because my hair is fine and straight, I expected that this line would probably provide too many oils for my hair.

Because my scalp is really oily (I must shampoo every morning), I also wondered if the lack of sulfates would mean that the shampoo was not cleansing/drying enough for my scalp.

The tropical scent of the products is lovely - reminds me of a holiday in the Caribbean!

The shampoo doesn't lather as much as those with sulfates, but it does provide an acceptable amount of lather, especially if you use twice as much of the product as you might a sulfate shampoo.

After my first wash, when it was air-drying (I usually don't use heat on my hair), my hair felt and looked great. It was soft, shiny, had few frizzies sticking up, and didn't seem to be too weighed down.

At that point, I almost let myself think that I might have found a decent replacement for the old-formula All Soft! Sadly, a couple of hours later, I learned that this product isn't it.

In only a few hours after the wash, my hair went from looking and feeling great to being really oily, lank, darkened from its normal dark-blonde color, static-y (I don't know why products with a high % of natural oils make my hair really static-y even when the humidity level in the air is fine, but they do), yet looking totally fried and unconditioned on the ends (which is another strange effect on my hair of products that have a high % of natural oils).

I decided to try both products a second day, and this time to use less conditioner, keep it farther from my scalp, and to rinse much longer. The result is that my hair is less oily/lank than yesterday, but it has more frizzies and is not as shiny as yesterday. It is still darkened in color and the ends are splaying out like a frayed ribbon.

So, this shampoo/conditioner are a big "NO" for me.

However, I do find a lot of positives about this product, and for people whose hair does very well with using natural oils (like jojoba, coconut, almond, etc.), or who generally wash with conditioners-only but would like a very mild non-sulfate shampoo, I would recommend that they try this. The formula seems to have a high amount of quality ingredients, it's pleasant to use and to smell, and it does not contain sulfates and some other chemicals that some people try to avoid in haircare products.

Note about price: I found it at Target for the list price (which you can learn at the company's site, which also sells their products by mail), but later I saw it on Amazon (with Amazon as the actual seller, which always gives me a bit more confidence in an item's authenticity) for 25% less than list price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I was rec' d this shampoo and it's matching conditioner by an MUAer when I posted about having reactions to certain preservatives in products. It smells wonderful!! It lathers well but doesn't leave my longer than shoulder length hair tangled. It cleans well but moisturizes without weighing my hair down. My hair is fine/wavy/fuzzy/dry and my scalp has calmed down considerably since I switched to these products.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2012 11:49:00 PM More reviews by JessiLovesBeauty

As a former user of Wen, I decided that I wanted to find quality hair products that were cheaper. Turns out... I actually like this BETTER than Wen! This shampoo is 100% Vegetarian, is not tested on animals, smells AMAZING and does not include any artificial colors, parabens, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium myreth sulfate! What more can you ask for in a shampoo? I LOVE this shampoo and would recommend it to anyone!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 2:36:00 PM More reviews by KaelynMarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff!! Once again, I am impressed with Alba Botanica. This product makes my curly hair softer and more manageable. This is my new go to conditioner. Not super heavy, but still moisturizing. No build up. Smells fantastic!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2012 11:30:00 AM More reviews by MBART5

This is my "go to" sulfate free shampoo. I do find that I use a lot of this shampoo (a whole palmfull for my shoulder length hair) in order to get it lather well enough to really clean my hair. I use the matching conditioner but only on the ends of my hair. If you do not like the smell of coconuts do NOT get this shampoo. The scent is lovely and it lingers but I happen to like coconut anything. My only gripes are that I think $10 for such small bottles is a bit overpriced and that if I don't wash my hair the second day it looks pretty lank and somewhat greasy by the end of the day. I am continually trying SLS shampoos but I always come back to this one. I have fine wavy hair and its always bouncy after my shampoo/blow dry and oddly enough I don't have to use ANY other products in my hair to defrizz or add shine. Oh, and another benefit...my hair is SO soft. Try it! You might like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2012 4:52:00 PM More reviews by smarteepants712

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This shampoo is a god send. I have scalp psoriasis and have been hunting for a good shampoo for close to ten years. Some things have worked better than others, not really related to sulfates vs sulfate free, but even the best (Paul Mitchell Lavender and Tea Tree) was never what I was hoping for -- I'd still be itchy and flaky and some were expensive. About a year ago I read how beneficial coconut oil is for hair, so I've been doing coconut oil masks a few times a week since. The days I use it, my scalp would feel amazing. I would leave it on overnight and wash with any shampoo in the morning and the results were stellar. However, it became a bit time consuming and messy to melt and appropriately distribute the oil. Don't get me wrong, it was worth it, but frustrating to have to do it so often and take the 15 minutes or so at night, sleep on a separate pillow case, etc. I began searching for a coconut oil shampoo. My searches popped up this gem. I bought it at Vita Cost for about $6 for each for a 12 oz bottle. This is sulfate free for anyone looking for a non SLS shampoo. It actually lathers wonderfully (due to the palm/coconut oil surfactant), smells amazing, although I don' t notice the scent lingering during the day which I would prefer, and cleans very well. Every time I wash my hair, the way it feels in the shower makes me doubt how clean it will be once dried (I also use very little of the companion conditioner b/c I don't need much with this shampoo). It is always shiny and healthy looking. My only gripe is it weighs my hair down a bit I've noticed (read: not dull or flat, just not a lot of body - which may be a lack of poof from the SLS's I'm used to). However, a volumizing mousse takes care of that no problem. For me, with my dry scalp, the bit of weight is well worth it. If you've got a similar issue, please give it a try!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No