Alba Botanica Natural Hawaiian Drink It Up Coconut Milk Shampoo

Not tested on animals

I love using tropical scented items in the summer and I have used Alba products before so I tried this shampoo. The summer sun and swimming dries out my hair and leaves it looking damaged (and I almost never use a hair dryer), so I needed something to give it a moisture boost. It smells wonderful, like natural pina colada, but did not seem to live up to it's "mega moisture" expectation. It did cleanse fine, but I will not repurchase if I need a shampoo to help heal my dry hair. The list of ingredients sounds great, but it just didn't perform for me. I also feel like it is way overpriced.

I am perplexed by the negative reviews on this product. I was looking for Sulfate-Free shampoos and found this one. I am in love with this product. It takes a bit more shampoo to really get your hair feeling clean, but it's worth it. It does not strip the natural oils in my hair, it moisturizes it. I have naturally greasy hair (when it's not frizzy and dried out after traditional shampoos), so for this product to work for me, it must be truly great. My hair is not only soft, it is also shiny. It feels and looks so healthy and beautiful. I highly reccomend the shampoo and conditioner to anyone whose tresses get frizzy and parched after shampooing with traditional shampoo. This is the best experience I have ever had with a hair product.

on 4/20/2015 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Meh. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It smells very nice, but that doesn't last. It's moisturizing if your hair isn't very dry or damaged. For the price (about $10 a bottle) I just can't justify buying it again for something that doesn't really wow me.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

When I bought this shampoo, I was buying it for the smell (yum, pineapples!) and the ingredients (no sulfates, one silicone halfway down the list). Its got its cleansers in it, followed by coconut and macadamia oils, aloe juice, and then some extracts.

I usually use this shampoo on the days my hair isn't too greasy and in need of some extra moisture. With this shampoo I get a good amount of moisture and plenty of cleaning action. However, I took one star off the rating because I kind of have to use a lot of shampoo to really feel my hair getting clean.

If you wash your hair daily (which is bad, but a habit for some) this shampoo could really help with moisturizing your hair.

on 4/23/2014 11:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

My hair is very important to me so finding a natural shampoo and conditioner is important to me. When I saw that this shampoo was vegan and sulfate free I had to give it a try. I bought the shampoo and conditioner. After my first wash with the shampoo I was already put off by the gel-like consistency of it and after rinsing it out my hair felt stripped and almost "squeaky" clean. The conditioner was very moisturizing though so I continued to use them. overall I would say I felt as though I was playing games with my hair using this product stripping all natural oils and then adding moisture back with the conditioner. I would buy the conditioner again if it were on sale but will not buy the shampoo. I prefer Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner.

on 8/9/2013 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

My 3a curly color-treated hair is dry, and my scalp is dry and sensitive. This shampoo irritated my scalp and made it itch, and it made my hair very dry and fly-away. It might be a good shampoo for normal hair, though.

on 6/30/2013 12:18:00 PM

I tried this shampoo after reading some of the reviews and because I love anything coconut scented. Unfortunatlely the only positive thing is the fragrence. The coconut scent is lovely and natural, not chemical smelling. My hair is fine/wavy not too dry or oily and this product left my hair dark and dried out. I've used it a few times to be sure and each time was the same.
I guess I will have to continue my search.

on 6/6/2013 9:30:00 PM

Really liking this shampoo. Isn't drying at all which is great, I have such a hard time finding shampoos that work because I have really dry scalp/seborrheic dermatitis. Smells very sweet and coconutty/pineappley but not strong or headache inducing! Rinses clean too. I just really wish it had a pump bottle. I got mine on, you can use this code GWT337 for up to $10 off your order.

I am in the search for a new shampoo after Redken All Soft's formula was dramatically altered in 2012, and I have tried many shampoo/conditioner pairs - with no luck so far.

Because I'm entering the desperation stage, when I stumbled upon this at Target in the organics-ranges aisle (not the shampoo/conditioner aisles), I thought I'd give it a try.

Prior to use, because my hair is fine and straight, I expected that this line would probably provide too many oils for my hair.

Because my scalp is really oily (I must shampoo every morning), I also wondered if the lack of sulfates would mean that the shampoo was not cleansing/drying enough for my scalp.

The tropical scent of the products is lovely - reminds me of a holiday in the Caribbean!

The shampoo doesn't lather as much as those with sulfates, but it does provide an acceptable amount of lather, especially if you use twice as much of the product as you might a sulfate shampoo.

After my first wash, when it was air-drying (I usually don't use heat on my hair), my hair felt and looked great. It was soft, shiny, had few frizzies sticking up, and didn't seem to be too weighed down.

At that point, I almost let myself think that I might have found a decent replacement for the old-formula All Soft! Sadly, a couple of hours later, I learned that this product isn't it.

In only a few hours after the wash, my hair went from looking and feeling great to being really oily, lank, darkened from its normal dark-blonde color, static-y (I don't know why products with a high % of natural oils make my hair really static-y even when the humidity level in the air is fine, but they do), yet looking totally fried and unconditioned on the ends (which is another strange effect on my hair of products that have a high % of natural oils).

I decided to try both products a second day, and this time to use less conditioner, keep it farther from my scalp, and to rinse much longer. The result is that my hair is less oily/lank than yesterday, but it has more frizzies and is not as shiny as yesterday. It is still darkened in color and the ends are splaying out like a frayed ribbon.

So, this shampoo/conditioner are a big "NO" for me.

However, I do find a lot of positives about this product, and for people whose hair does very well with using natural oils (like jojoba, coconut, almond, etc.), or who generally wash with conditioners-only but would like a very mild non-sulfate shampoo, I would recommend that they try this. The formula seems to have a high amount of quality ingredients, it's pleasant to use and to smell, and it does not contain sulfates and some other chemicals that some people try to avoid in haircare products.

Note about price: I found it at Target for the list price (which you can learn at the company's site, which also sells their products by mail), but later I saw it on Amazon (with Amazon as the actual seller, which always gives me a bit more confidence in an item's authenticity) for 25% less than list price.

on 2/14/2013 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I was rec' d this shampoo and it's matching conditioner by an MUAer when I posted about having reactions to certain preservatives in products. It smells wonderful!! It lathers well but doesn't leave my longer than shoulder length hair tangled. It cleans well but moisturizes without weighing my hair down. My hair is fine/wavy/fuzzy/dry and my scalp has calmed down considerably since I switched to these products.