November 21, 2014 | 1798 users online

Polishes - Nailene - Sensationail Color Gel Polish

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by sharonbethd

I started out with shellac nails from the salon. Beautiful but too expensive and I find it hard to have the time for an hour and a half every two weeks for a manicure....forget the 30+ dollars and tip.
I bought that system first and was happy, but, was concerned about all the buzz about cancer. I read that LED was much better, so, went on a search and found Nailene. It is so easy to do and my nails look great. Its better to start off shorter. The polish does hold up better when your nails are short. I have been able to keep the light color for almost 3 weeks. There was some wear on the tips but not too bad.....and no breaks!!
The darker color starts to wear on me (Miss Behave) at about 8-10 days, but I make it last for 2 weeks. You can put other polish on top if you want. Try to use cutical oil whenever you think of it.

The hardest part is the removal. I have tried many ways and this is what works best for me...and the least amount of damage.

1. Take a file and rough up the top so the acetone can get thru easier. I use a cotton ball or round (no fuzz) and cut to fit nail and wrap with tin foil. It "bakes" for about 20 minutes and when I use their metal removal tool, it comes off really easy. If it doesn't come off easy, you haven't kept it on enough or didn't use enough acetone. It can burn a little bit but I just live with it. There hasn't been any damage and my nails are very strong.
The damage comes if you peel it off yourself without using the acetone.

2.Use cuticle oil whenever possible and keep your hands moisturized.

3. If you want to remove it easier, just put the primer around the edges and the tips.

4.I usually remove the polish at night when I am watching tv and then apply int the morning. It takes me about 45 minutes to take off and then 45 minutes to put on. The color selection is just ok. I haven't tried to mix brands.

I decided to stop using for a few weeks. My nails slowly chipped and broke....put it back on last weekend.....so happy. I use a computer a lot and they stay so nice. I am on my 10th day and don't plan to redo until this weekend. I hope they come out with some new colors. So far I like Miss Behave and the champagne for a summer color. I used an extra coat on the champagne.

I do my thumbs first and then my left and then right hand. I usually keep the last coat in there for an extra minute to make sure and then wipe with alcohol.....beautiful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by alyssa18o6

I was tried of having to paint my nails every other day. I did some research and decided to try out this system. I got the starter kit for a great price at Walgreens, and grabbed 2 polishes as well since they were a great price too. The first color I tried was the dark purple (can't remember the name right now!) i've had it on for about a week. I have some chips on the tip on one finger because I broke the nail and a bit of tip wear on two other fingers. However it is not noticable at all. You'd only notice if I showed you.

The overall process wasn't difficult at all, and didn't take very long to apply. This is only the second time i've had a gel manicure but im hooked and will definitely keep doing them at home. I haven't removed this yet so i'm not sure about that process but i'm assuming it'll be simiarly to removing acrylic nails.

I have super thin nails that break very easy and I love how the gel is thick and keeps my nails from breaking. I can't wait to try out another polish!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2014 4:24:00 AM More reviews by millenababy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My nails are very soft and brittle, they exfoliate at the tips and no nail polish survives longer than 24 hours on me. I've had the Sensationail on for a week already (Scarlet Red) and no chip in sight! Shiny as the first day i applied it. Very easy to use, applies evenly and the overall procedure takes less than 15 minutes.

I'd like to leave it on for as long as possible to see how well it lasts, but I have purchased 3 new colours and I am dying to try them, so I think I will remove the red today.

Very satisfied with this product, I should have tried it earlier!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2014 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Burma76

I bought the kit in raspberry wine recently and the French manicure polish. I have the raspberry on by toes and had a crack at the French mani on my fingers.

I really love it. It's in between a standard nail polish and a gel mani that you'd get at a salon. I don't get a full 2 weeks wear - more like 7-10 days. But as I'd usually chip in 24 hours I'm pretty happy. I'm also still perfecting my technique - it's important to clean up any gel on your cuticles because that will cause it to lift quickly.

I recommend using the white polish rather than the strips - they break and are difficult to apply. For a first attempt I'm pretty happy with the French Polish.

Super shiny, super smooth. Very happy with this purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2014 8:51:00 PM More reviews by houlen89

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I am writing this review and also hoping to get some answers to questions, that i have as well :) I am a NEW user of the gel manis & must say that so far i LOVE them! I had one done in the salon and i was pretty impressed, then that gave me the idea to try doing them on my own. A couple days later, i bought the Sensationail starter kit and WOW! i did great and it was all done BY ME. SOLD!!! lol. But this particular color (pink chiffon) itself, was a bit sheer for my tastes. It says 2 coats, which i was unhappy with the outcome. It was a bit streaky i found. Can a 3rd coat be done? or not? i didn't dare try as i didn't want to mess up the process-as it seems to be pretty strict on what is needing to be done & how, ect... But feel like a 3rd coat, would have been what was needed to make it PERFECT. Other than that, what a great system! HIGHLY RECOMMEND XOXO

Can u ladies help me with a few additional questions, that i have about Gel mani's- in general possibly?

Here they are!:

1) Since i have all the fixens for the Sensationail kit, like their top coat, base, their light, ect,..

BUT Am I able to buy just a different polish?-as long as it is a gel one? If so, what is another good brand to try out?

I ask this b.c. this brand seems to have such a limited color selection it appeared... :(

2) Is a 3rd coat ok to do? i have 2 polishes from this brand, & each says only to apply 2 coats?

3)Are these removal wraps really worth it? and what all do they entail?
i bought that metal removal tool and didn't find it to be that much more helpful, that the wooden stick that was provided!

Also, what is the orange stick that everyone keeps mentioning on here?

4) Can you use this system on your toes too?> or just hands?

5) Is there a better/bigger curing light? and if so (& if it happens to be a different brand), can i use all of my current Sensational products,with this new light or doesn't it matter?

6) hand designs.... i wanna do some and was told that you can use normal (non-gel) polish for this & that it will NOT effect the gel mani in any way? is this true?
how do i remove that? what type of nail polish remover is needed? acetone still?
any good sites to check out? im looking for something SIMPLE & EASY ONLY LOL

I know that this is quite the list of questions BUT any help would BE GREATLY APPRICIATED FROM U LADIES OUT THERE!

Hope to hear feedback soon! Thanks soo much....:)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2014 8:44:00 PM More reviews by rosebud264

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've just finished using the Sensationail introductory kit and wanted to share my experience. A few days ago I had a very average Shellac manicure at a salon and thought 'I can do better than that' so put my money where my mouth is...or nails are, as it were!

I bought the kit with Scarlet Red, which is a little different to the red on the box - once applied it's a bit more jellyish and orange-based, but still a good primary red that should suit most skin tones (kind of like OPI Big Apple Red but leaning more orange). The kit contains an LED lamp, 'gel cleanser' (isopropyl alcohol), gel primer, base/top coat, bottle of colour, orange stick and buffer. Not bad for $AU89, but the bottles are pretty tiny TBH - 3.5ml for the colour and base/top coat. The kit also contains instructions for application.

Here are some tips that helped me:

- Read the instructions! Seriously! I'm fairly nail savvy but still read the instructions carefully and even watched a couple of YT vids before proceeding with application

- Do both your thumbs first (prep, base, colour, top, wipe), to get them out of the way.

- Work. Slowly. At least for the first time you do DIY gel polish.

- Thin coats are a must - apparently thicker coats can wrinkle during curing - however, I took this a bit too literally and didn't have enough polish on the brush so that I had to go over sections of my nail repeatedly. After curing it looked a little uneven. You want your coats to be thin, but try to have enough polish on the brush to cover your whole nail (my nails are a tad on the long side).

Pros:

- Beautiful shiny finish

- No dry time after curing and wiping (which gets rid of the sticky layer) - no chance of sheet marks!

- The lamp looks tiny but it's the perfect DIY, desk-top size, and realistically you can only work on one hand at a time anyway

- I did a much better job than the salon I went to lol!

Cons:

- Removal is time-consuming, probably at least half an hour for both hands. If you go too fast or pick at the polish you risk nail damage

- The colour I used was a little sheer, even after 3 coats. However, that may have been due to the aforementioned too-thin coats I used. I plan to purchase another colour and try application again

- Requires a steady hand and takes practice.

I'll be back in a couple of weeks to report on wear time. :)

rated 1 of 5 on 5/4/2014 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Rcarr6569

I am so disappointed with this gel. I presumed because it was more expensive than the other gel colours I use (all from bluesky) I'd get a better colour. I find this lasts half the time to bluesky and peels away easily! I normally keep my gel for 1 week and reapply simply because I like to change it up but this didnt even last the week. Ive tried three colours much to my bank accounts dismay and theyre all awful. I think for the price you get such a small amount of product and I found this just awful. Bluesky have such a huge range of colours and the prices are so much fairer! Totally disappointed with this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 9:42:00 PM More reviews by Lexieloveee

Life changing !!!!!!! Everyone should buy!! Watch youtube videos

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by Heyheytaytay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

These are so buttery and smooth! Applies flawlessly compared to their other gel line "fuse". I have island oasis which is straight up teal green to me... Will be purchasing more!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2014 12:02:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

This is the first gel polish I got. I also have one from OPI, which is much thicker than the Sensationail one - I like Sensationail better. I will also soon get some cheap ones from ebay

THE COLOUR

The colour I have in Sensationail is Scarlet Red. It is a bright, true red. The colour is very opaque, even in one thin layer.

THE APPLICATION:

See the pamphlet supplied with the polish.

The polish is very thin, so do not apply a lot - I need to wipe the brush at least twice before I get the right amount. Do NOT cure this if you have gotten some polish on your skin or cuticles! There are several reasons for this: 1) you will have a hard time getting the polish off again 2) it will not look nice - it will have an edge that is sticking upwards when your nails begin to grow out 3) when you have an edge that is sticking up, the polish will loosen at that edge because of air/moisture/oils getting in, under the polish. You can use a small, angled brush and alcohol for clean-up. I would suggest to either NOT pushing your cuticles back or cut them - you don't want the cuticles to move downwards while you're applying this.

ONE DRAWBACK WITH SENSATIONAIL

Although I would like to do all of my nails, then cure, then next layer of polish, then cure, this is NOT a good idea! Basically, after you've applied the base/top coat and then apply the colour, the colour will kinda pull back if it's not cured fast enough. This is annoying at the tips, but easy to fix. It is worse when this shrinks from the sides. The good thing is: the nail polish will not dry before you apply UV/LED light - this means you can work with it as long as you wish. I think it's easier to just apply a second coat of polish to cover the areas where the polish have pulled back. Also: when applying the colour, just cure it for 30 seconds first, on all nails, then put all of your nails under the UV/LED for 30 more seconds - that way you won't need to do each nail individually - it saves a lot of time.

Although you might think the application of this won't take that long, especially when you're used to applying several layers of regular nail polishes... I found this not to be true. Unless you've done it before, you need to try out how the polish works, this might take some time, especially if you get the nail wrong and have to take the polish off again (which takes some time....). After I kinda got an idea, I think the application still took 1-1,5 hours. It went a little faster the second time, but still, it took about an hour.

THE LOOK AND FEEL

The finish of the polish is very smooth and glossy - way glossier than a regular polish! The glossiness seems to not disappear during the wear time, at all! :) Unless you scratch them with something really sharp. Some people said that the glossy finish get finger marks often *I guess they don't know how polished surfaces work*

TIPS

- Wipe your nail with the gel cleanser/alcohol before applying the polish to take off oils. Wait till all of the alcohol has evaporated, or else you might get uneven application
- The polish is very thin and might run a little if you apply to much - might even pull upwards, even when you're holding your hand fingertips down, so don't take this too far up the nail
- The coloured polish shrinks if not cured fast enough
- Start painting the colour on at the tip first, then middle of nail, then outwards to the sides - then you will get a feel of the consistency
- Your nails will be sticky after curing until you wipe them with the gel cleanser
- Always cap your tips (meaning cover the edge of the nail in some of the base/top coat)
- Only use the lint free wipe when wiping your nail - if you get cotton fuss in your nail, you might end up with BUBBLES/uneven surface. In general, be careful not to get hair, dust, or anything else stuck in the polish before it's fully cured and if you do, wipe your nail down with the gel cleanser before you continue

WEAR TIME

Usually, a regular nail polish lasts me 2-3 days without shipping/wearing off (in case of liquid sand polishes). The obvious advantage of gel nails here is that when they're cured, you don't need to worry about touching something and ruining your manicure. One recommendation though: do not scratch yourself right after curing - you might push the polish upwards a little and create little fold - this is definitely not a a big problem though - this rule isn't really difficult to follow. So how long does this last? On me it DOES last two weeks, but I have had small accidents before and scraped up the polish (on metal lock - I'm happy the polish was protecting my real nail!) or cut a tiny part of the tip of the nail. In any case - if anything happens, it's very easy to fix: gel cleanser -> colour + base/top coat or just base/top coat (if the problem is the tip or area near cuticle) - and the nail is as new! Or, at least, with the red colour it works VERY well :) And to those that say they can pick this off: if you pick on it, you will partly get it off. If you want to not be able to pick the polish off, get acrylics instead. One important thing though: I take the dishes with gloves on. But I vigorously massage my hair while showering, so maybe it weighs it up slightly

REMOVAL

You need pure acetone or gel nail polish remover if you're not planning to just pull the gel off (with the topmost layer of your nail). Regular nail polish remover won't do! I mean: you will get SOME polish off, but a lot will stick very well to the nail, which will not look good. Always remember to buff the whole surface of the polish off - otherwise you will have a harder time removing the polish. In any case: the polish IS hard to get off. DON'T apply bonder to the whole nail if you want to be able to take the nail polish off - only to the free edge and tip. Where there is bonder, the polish is almost permanently stuck.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No