December 20, 2014 | 1712 users online

Polishes - Essie - Shine of the Times

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2014 6:22:00 PM More reviews by emmiemc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is one of my favorite cheats when I don't have the time to redo my nails, but am bored of my current color. Throwing a layer of "Shine of the Times" on top pretty much revives the polish and you can get an extra few days out of it before you're bored again, haha.

It gives the effect of a speckled robin's egg to your nails, if that robin's egg were red and green iridescent. However, this ail polish is reflective, not pigmented, so I think it requires at least a mid tone base, and darker is often better. It can be quite insipid on light nails.

Very easy to apply. Get enough on your brush and it will only take one coat to get the sparkles evenly distributed, and it dries quickly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by SapphireRoses80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'll be the first to admit I have an addiction to buying nail polish and out of all the hundreds I've collected over the years, Essie's shine of the times is by far my most used and loved. I've already gone through 2 bottles and have 3 left in my backups. I love to layer this on top of Sally hansen's save the date. It looks like dragon scales, I can't even count how many times people have stopped me to ask what I had on my nails. I also love this over creamy beige and sea foam minty green nail polishes. It ends up looking like opals when layered with beige and a mermaids tail over the minty greens. It also looks gorgeous over black, deep dark emerald, and blue. This is the best formula in terms of application, every brush stroke distributes product evenly. I only wish Essie would put this in their permanent range because I know when I finish my last bottle, I'll be very sad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by niclyf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Shine of the Times is one of Essie's best polishes! This definitely isn't for those looking for a natural manicure.. It's loaded with orange, red & green flakies and looks absolutely stunning over darker vampy shades! It's a clear base, so it's not a polish that's meant to be worn alone. If you're looking for something to jazz up a darker shade though, this will definitely do the job!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 4:26:00 PM More reviews by AmyMendoza

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really love this polish! I've tried it over several different polish colors but my favorite was over Essie Clambake! It really brings out the orange in the polishes. I just love how thick it is, which gives it great coverage with one coat!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 3:30:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Essie's Shine of the Times is one of the coveted nail polishes on the drugstore level. I'm, not even sure if this was limited edition, discontinued, or just rare. This polish is a flaky glitter top coat meant for layering. Essie describes Shine of the Times as a "scintillating opalescent aura". Damn, Essie, look at that vocabulary. I'm not very familiar with Essie polishes, this is actually my very first one, sent to me in a swap with my friend Stephanie. Essie polishes are DBP, Toluene, and Formaldehyde free. Essie nail lacquers contain 13.5 ml (.46 oz) and retail for between $5-9, depending on where you buy them. I'm unsure if Essie is cruelty free or not, I see a lot of conflicting information, so please do your own research before buying.
Essie nail lacquers come in a square glass bottle topped with a white plastic cap. The Essie logo is embossed on two sides of the bottle. The logo makes a third appearance on the label, along with the product name. It's a weird thing to mention, but the two ball bearings in this polish's bottle seem twice the size of the ones in your average polish. I've always been partial to Essie's packaging. The brush is pretty average in length, flat, with no splayed bristles.
Shine of the Times is a pretty thin nail polish, which surprised me because it's completely packed with glitter. I was kinda doubtful about this polish, I've previously had a bad experience with flaky polishes. The other one I tried was awful,I had to fish out each glitter flake, which didn't lay flat on the nail and eventually fell off. Shine of the Times applies very smoothly, the glitters are plentiful in each coat and they stick to the nail. Shine of the Times dries in about a minute, maybe a little less. This polish suffers from shrinkage, so it doesn't wear quite as long as I'd like.
Essie's Luxe Effect in Shine of the Times is kinda beautiful. Essie hit the nail on the head when they called it "scintillating" and "opalescent". Each flake of the multi-chromatic glitter catches the light so well. Shine of the Times looks different over every polish it's layered over and in every angle its viewed from. The flakes in Shine of the Times (the base is clear by the way), mainly flash red and gold, but it'll also show green, pink, orange, and blue. This reflective top coat looks best over dark colors with cream finishes, but let's be honest, a polish this prismatic looks beautiful no matter how its used.
I love Essie's Shine of the Times! This truly is the most gorgeous of all glitter polishes. I urge Essie to put this shade back on the shelves. I'm kinda rationing my bottle, hoping to find another somewhere. If I could repurchase it this polish, I would without question. I can't recommend Shine of the Times enough, if you see it, you have to get it! I imagine most fans of flaky polishes already have it; it definitely changed my mind about flakies. I would pair this top coat with any polish in my collection.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2013 4:22:00 PM More reviews by Shaz809

My friend has this...was going to get it but found a dupe by Essence called 'Night in Vegas' which is great quality at a fraction of the cost. Google the two side by side and you will see. xx

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 10:24:00 AM More reviews by 8erica8

Looks magnificent layered over black!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2012 6:09:00 PM More reviews by Morganox

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really love this polish. It looks so amazing over black polish! It makes it look like the dying embers of a fire and looks great for halloween or just fall. It stays on well and distributes evenly.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2012 3:49:00 PM More reviews by TheCritics

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

a pretty, glittery fall shine

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2012 7:21:00 PM More reviews by brinel

Walked into Harmon and this polish turned my head. Didn't intend to buy polish, but couldn't control myself (thx to other MUA reviewers and my iPhone). Put on OPI DS Classic and layered this polish over it. It blinded me with awesomeness. Super sparkly, gritless, red-orange-green glow. So happy.