October 21, 2014 | 1645 users online

Polishes - Butter London - The Black Knight

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2014 4:48:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

First I have to say I was underwhelmed on how this looked on my nails. I'm very picky about my black polishes...this just didn't wow me.

As for this polish: applies very easily for a glitter. Nice jelly black base which is fully opaque in 2 coats. Wears okay for a glitter, 1 got 3 days out of it. Very fine teal, magenta and silver glitters. I feel I could have gotten the same effect with fingerpaint's black and china glaze fairy dust.

I just prefer my DL Cleopatra in New York.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2014 9:47:00 AM More reviews by Georgia8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

One of my favorite glitters, it doesn't thicken or clump and one coat is enough to get a really cool galaxy effect. It has specks of purple, black and silver which makes it a really nice color that i enjoy wearing on my fingers and toes. It dries quickly and lasts a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 8:36:00 PM More reviews by Jayblab

This is somewhere in my top 3 polished of all time. Quite possibly top 1. I love the color, love the name, love that one coat is enough, love that it looks like the universe/galaxy which I'm into. All butter London polishes are overpriced but they are really good quality.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2014 2:18:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The Black Knight is probably one of my favorite blacks! I guess I'm not surprised by the negative reviews, this polish does have some negatives, it's a bit thick and the finish tends to be rough, but I still love it! I use a ridge filling base coat by Nailtek, 2 coats of TBK, the first coat thin the second thicker, then a heavy coat of Sally Hansen Insta-Dry. Sometimes the polish will still feel a little rough so I will add another layer of top coat and it smooths right out. TBK dries super fast, I can polish my nails 15 minutes before I get in bed and won't have any dents or sheet marks the next morning. I have none of the flaking and wear issues other reviewers are complaining of. I get 4-5 days of chip-free wear and that is pretty much average for me with all brands of polish. I also love Butter's rather small and short brush, I feel like I get great control with it. As for removal, I use the acetone Up&Up brand Dip It jar from Target (if you don't have one, go to Target and get it! Now! Run!) and the polish comes right off, glitter and all. Overall, TBK is a great polish and I would happily repurchase in the future.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/15/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by TickTockAlice

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Alright...Butter London....listen up. I've been avoiding writing this review but, the time has come. I just can't take it anymore. I have purchased only 3 Butter polishes and 1 Lippy and I am dead serious when I say that I will not be repurchasing anything from this brand ever...again.

I love this color, I do. I love most of their colors tbh. The packaging really shows the colors off, makes them look almost good enough to eat. You see them...you want to buy them ALL.

However....the quality SUCKS. Hard.

Every single time I attempt to wear one of my Butter polishes (I have Disco Biscuit, the Black Knight, and No More Waitie Katie) I regret it quickly after. Their formula applies worse than 99 cent store polish. You seriously have to use coats upon coats to get close to the color it looks like in the bottle. Make sure you use a base coat because if you don't and you apply one that has any glitter in it, you're gonna have a bad time, I can promise you that.

What's WEIRD about that is that removing it with polish remover is about the most difficult task I have ever encountered, yet their polish doesn't just chip off...it PEELS off...in large chunks. You'll find em all over your house, in your hair, in your bed. Im not kidding. Every single color has done this and I've tried them all in every way I possibly can...base coat, no base coat, top coat, no top coat...under or over other polish....doesn't matter. After maybe a day of wear after using so much of the bottle to achieve the color it's "supposed" to be it just...pfft...flakes off...leaving a trail of $14 glitter in its wake.

I have NO clue why these are so popular. Yes, the colors and the sparkles are very pretty, but dude...$14 for a bottle of crap polish is absolute insanity. Don't even get me STARTED on the tiny stiff brush...

Their Lippy (which I bought in Trout Pout) was the most DISGUSTING smelling, feeling, looking thing I've put on my lips. Ever. Planet Beauty wouldn't take it back. I might as well have flushed $17 down the toilet. So nasty, I tossed it.

Butter London is a total rip. I've talked to a lot of people who feel the same way and have similar experiences with their products. I honestly feel they are straight up ripping people off under the guise of cute packaging and fine glitter.

I'm anti-Butter.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2012 11:32:00 PM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is an absolutely gorgeous polish to wear! The color is rich and the glittery sparkles so fine that it's like stardust on your nails. It took 2 coats to cover evenly and I used Seche Vite top coat to seal it all and give it a nice smooth glassy finish. The downsides, and sadly there were a lot: the polish was thick and gloppy and didn't flow on evenly and had to be worked to get a mostly even layer of polish on. It dried very quickly so I had to work fast. The brush handle/cap was small and hard to hold onto. The brush itself was small too and had stray bristles that kept a perfect application from occurring. The polish dried gritty and had no shine. And worst of all, by the end of day 2 I had a lot of chipping and they weren't small ones either! Such a gorgeous polish, but it's some work to get the desired results as they aren't going to come straight out of this bottle. I love the way the cornered bottles nest together and take up so little space and are so convenient for storage, but the brush is such a disappointment and frankly for $14, I expected a much better quality overall in this polish. I have 1.99 Wet n Wild polishes that outperform this $14 disaster. I'd buy this again as I love the color and the way it looks on once you get it finished, but I couldn't recommend this to a friend. Buy it only if you really love the color because that is all it has going for it. It would be great for a special occasion or date night, but don't expect it to last as long as your manis usually do. It's not going to happen. It was hard to say if I would buy it again. At $14, absolutely not, but if it were on sale then I certainly would as I am still sitting here looking at my mani even with chipped polish it is soo beautiful and I love this color. every little movement and my nails come alive with dancing lights. I have had many compliments on this mani.

*EDIT* You want a dupe for this for less than $2? Private Show by Pure Ice Seriously. I tested them on my own hands. Skip Butter London's cute package and buy the Pure Ice. Save yourself $ and hassle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2012 4:00:00 PM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This polish is gorgeous but it takes a bit of work for it to look flawless and awesome. I have heard some had luck using a bit of thinner in it right off the bat and also putting gelous base coat over it (before topcoat) to deal with the gritty texture or doing one coat of TBK over black. I like the polish so much and also really into BL a lot so I don't mind it taking some extra TLC...but it's also pretty chippy. More so than other BL polishes...I just think it's soooo pretty.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2012 6:39:00 AM More reviews by DiscoverBeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I understand why some people won't like this polish, but I still love it! It does apply a little goopy, dries matte, and is gritty once dried, but Seche Vite fixes it all. I used 3 medium coats and finished off with 2 coats of Seche Vite top coat. It was a sparkly, smooth, and spectacular manicure. Love it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2012 8:28:00 PM More reviews by Jade716

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Bought this and saw that the glitter in this is the same as Sally Hansen's Rockstar Pink that I already owned. So I returned the Butter London since I can simply paint a coat of Rockstar Pink over a black polish and save $14. I am dying to have a Button London in my collection but they continue to disappoint me. :-(

rated 2 of 5 on 4/29/2012 1:03:00 AM More reviews by 18psu55

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have tried two Butter London glitter polishes and I am so disappointed with both of them. This looks gorgeous in the bottle, but when put on the nails it is a very different story. It was opaque in 3 coats, but it was a very rough texture that not even a super thick top coat could fix. It actually dried to be a bit matte as well. And it chipped about two hours after wearing it! I've heard such great things about this brand but every polish I have tried has not lived up to any hype. I will be returning this polish for sure.