August 31, 2014 | 1608 users online

Nail Tools - French Tip Dip

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Shelly129

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i absolutely Love my French Tip Dip. as with any new product it does take some time to get the hang of but once you get it down the possibilities are endless. not only can you do the classic french manicure, you can also use it with your choice of polishes so you're free to mix and match base and tip colors to create a bold look thats sure to get noticed..
in some other comments people had mentioned that its hard to bend the tool to the shape of your nail, i also noticed that, and i've found an easy solution to the problem, all you have to do is hold it under hot water for a few seconds and the plastic becomes much more pliable. also a few drops of nail polish thinner in the bright white polish totally corrects the gooeyness. and simply applying vasalene around the edges of your nails before you paint makes cleaning up any mistakes a breeze.
i've been using my FTD for a while now and when i ran across this review page i just thought i'd make a few suggestions and share some of the things that i've found to be helpful. it does get easier with practice and the results are totally worth it. i use this product a lot more than i thought i would and i'd definitely recommend to anyone. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2011 7:15:00 PM More reviews by kdramaex3three

I bought mine for ten dollars of ebay. Kind of pricey for a piece of plastic. It takes a lot of tires, but once you get it it's fine. It is hard, but once you get it it looks great! My french manicure has never looked better, ever! I would buy it again (although hopefully i wont need to) because my nails do look great even though it takes me forever. The longer your nails are the easier it is to apply. Anyway I like it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2010 12:06:00 PM More reviews by dcoulon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I actually rather enjoyed my French Tip Dip set. It's definitely not the easiest thing to use, but with a bit of practice it's easier for me than free-handing (although I am not that great at free-handing, either). My only complaint is with the size/shape of the tip tool--the arm that I use to get the correct curve is too wide for my nails, so I always end up with white polish on the skin by my nail tips that I have to clean up at the end of the manicure. HOWEVER, despite that, I actually do enjoy my kit. I use it fairy frequently (although less, recently, as my nails tragically had to be cut very short) and I do enjoy the french manicure look that it gives me. The polish is basic but I didn't notice the white polish being too thick as the other reviewer stated (perhaps a different batch? Or different application?). All in all, I'm happy that I bought it and I would recommend it to someone if they were willing to play around a bit to find the best application technique for them.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2010 3:04:00 PM More reviews by sparklehead

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I ordered the basic kit after seeing it in a tutorial and reading reviews online. It's marketed with the slogan "The fastest french manicure in the world?" I was attracted to the idea of a fast french manicure because I've been giving them to myself for years (either free hand or with the Sally Hansen pen) and had gotten pretty good but it still takes longer than I like. So far I've used the French Tip Dip 3 times and each time they didn't look as good as when I do it free hand and it took the same amount of time to get it right. This kit is probably great for people who aren't able to do thier own french manicure otherwise, but it is NOT fast if you are particular about the end result.

The kit is a little over $20 and comes with the French Tip Dip tool, 3 small glass dip jars, 1.12 fl.oz. white polish, .54 fl.oz clear polish, .28 fl.oz. sheer polish, 2 files, orangewood stick, refillable remover pen, and a plasic storage box.

First, the French Tip Dip tool itself is just a little piece of plastic with four different-sized plastic "arms". The plastic is flimsy, supposedly so you can bend it to fit your nail, although I don't find that it holds the shape I bend it into very well. Once you've found the size you want to use, you dip it into the white polish and then touch the polish covered plastic to the end of your nail to transfer to polish, creating a french tip. In theory this should be easy enough. In reality I find it very hard to get the rounded tip I want because I can't bend the plastic into the right shape! Either the middle ends up too far from my nail once the sides are touching creating a sharp pointed look to the white tip, or, if I try to flatten it out, the sides of my nails don't get anything or they get a hit-and-miss shape. If I try to press down a little more on the plastic once it's over my nail to get it even, the white polish goops out from under the edges. I have managed to complete a manicure with the tool, but it took a long time as I kept having to re-do nails. Also, it would be better to have four separate tools for each size, rather than one with all four. I have to use three sizes (one for my pinky, one for my thumb, one for the rest) and unless I completely cleaned each size after I used them, which is difficult to do when you have wet nails, I would get the white polish all over my hands once I switched sizes since the used size would be next to where you grip the tool.

As for the polish, the white polish is certainly opaque with one coat but it is too thick. I feel I may have had a much easier time with the tool if the polish weren't so gooey. It is thin enough to pour out of the bottle into the dip jar, but it's still thick enough that the tool picks up too much, even after I wipe some away on the side of the dip jar.

The sheer polish comes in a jar so tiny it's hard to use. It's pretty standard, similar to the Sally Hansen french manicure polishes. If I try this again I'll just use my own sheer polish.

The clear polish seemed pretty pointless. It took way too long to dry and didn't seem to add anything to the manicure. If I try this again I'll just use my own top coat.

I do like that, although not the easiest fit, it comes in a plastic case which is convenient.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No