Great Lengths Hair Extensions

2.6

on 7/19/2016 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Terrible. I have been wearing clip-in extensions for 6 years and I had done a lot of research on Great Lengths prior to getting. My hair is very thin so I required a full head and had them cut shoulder length. I was so disappointed because the hair didn't even curl!! The Sally extensions I have hold curl better than these. It's also hard to get your roots clean so they became very limp. I had for 3 weeks and ended up pulling them out. Complete waste of money and it took a year to repair the damage.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm pretty surprised by the negative reviews on these - I did ALOT of research into the right salon/extensions and am so happy with the results. They aren't perfect but no hair extension will be - the main downside of these is the price - here are some pros and cons.

Pros
I have had my GL for 3 months and they are still going strong. They look so natural - I got the caramel swirl ones so they are a mix of browns, caramels and blondes and you couldn't see the join in my hair if you tried. I have the hair I've always wanted it and makes me feel so much better! I have lost around 5 bonds throughout the 3 months but my salon puts them back in for free and also trims them for me when i come in for a blow dry.They keep a curl so well - I often wand wave mine and they'll still look great 3 days later. So diff to my natural hair!

Negatives
I don't think these look great when air dried ( you always have to dry off the bonds but sometimes I leave the rest to dry). I find blow drying section by section (takes ages) and then straightening or curling is best, otherwise they can look a little straggly.
Price - mine cost my the guts of £900. They are VERY expensive and if that's out of your budget don't bankrupt yourself getting them in.
When i wear my hair up in a pony you can see the bonds - no getting around it. If you have thin hair you probably will and let's face it you're prob more likely to get extensions when you have thin hair.
You really do have to use a great lengths brush with these - otherwise they can pull at the bonds and damage your own hair and pull out the bond.

Don't get these if you're looking for something v v low main - you have to take care of them, - wear in a loose plait at bed, use the right brush and be willing to return to the hairdresser every month or so to get your bonds re put in.

To Read all 43 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/12/2016 2:21:00 AM

These extensions are terrible. You should check out Jenica Hair Extensions. They are an Australian brand that cater to completely natural hair and omg is the hair amazing or what. No chemicals and no synthetics in the mix. All of my girlfriends have gone bananananasssss voer it hahahahahaha

instagram.com/jenicahair

on 9/24/2015 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was told this was the best hair you could get. Since I had thin hair already, I was pleased to see the thin bonds (stylist even cut mine in half). Had these extensions put in twice. Each time the hair ends stuck together like glue, morning and night, despite my caring for them as directed. I tried a few different sulfate free shampoos, conditioners, etc., but a few minutes after drying, had the same problem. After a few months, I began losing 1-4 strands a day (taking my own already thin hair with them) just from trying to brush them out. I paid over $600 each time. Anyone else experience the hair sticking together? I am going back to a weave with cuticle hair.

I've been using Great Lengths single strand extensions for years - I'm considered an expert amongst my friends .... I researched extentions for 2 years prior to using - I have fine hair and was sick of bad hair days and hair envy. Life is too short to have angst over anything. If you don't have it god given ... buy it --- natural is over rated -

I've used many products and GL gives me the puffy european type hair that matches my own (baby fine and a bit frizzy) -- the colors are a bit dull - but have yet to find better hair that matches my own. I am talking about single strand ( I do not use glue ! -- I use GL with Locs )
I remove the glue with a hair straightener then roll it to fit into a loc ) So much better on your hair. I used glue for a couple years and it damaged my hair terribly.

If you are in Florida -- there is ONLY 1 girl I will trust to do my hair. She is an artist - does all kinds of extensions - lace front wigs, cancer patient pieces etc. Seriously she does a better job than any of these movie star stylists -- Her name is in Denise (Margate Florida) Find her you will love her -- true artist - reasonable pricing, never found anyone that can place extensions like her --

Sady .. I tried GL TAPE INS --- Horrible ... gluey sticky don't stay in. I use them in the back of my head to keep it full and less ropey. USE HOT HEADS ( bad hair but stay in and full ) put GL single strands around your face and sides ... Use tape ins in the back -- looks natural and full not strandy. Put HOT HEADS TAPE INS underneath your own hair in back the hair is not GL quality but they stay in and you get a bigger bang for your buck. GL gives you NO HAIR on tape ins. NOT worth the money. Plus the glue is a mess. Makes your hair slimey.

If you have thin fine hair. I am an expert . Take my advice. If you have thicker hair I would go with Boheem (cheaper and good hair ... but too heavy for my head )

on 12/9/2014 11:08:00 AM

Horrible experience . My great lengths extensions have been replaced twice in less than 8 weeks , 1600 dollars later and my hair looks horrible . Beware of anyone who insist you sign a waiver holding them unaccountable should the hair fall out ... Red flag number one ... I would not recommend this product the price and quality do not coincide ...

on 12/4/2014 4:21:00 AM

I am urging anyone PLEASE do not put these in your hair. You will end up with severe damage to whatever hair you have left. I did my homework, research and paid high dollar for GL's. The hair at first seemed pretty. Was it completely natural, no. You could tell it was heavy and dull, but pretty and put in, what I thought professional and nicely cut. She layered it to look natural. Then itching started. My stylist said no worries. Then after a couple of months they started slipping out daily w/ hair attached to them. Sometimes 5-7 a day. They were ratted at the root area. I took care of these by the book too. Special shampoo, braided when I slept and brushed 3 times a day. Here was my girls BS, immediately She knew my hair was falling out and I wasn't putting them back in, so her game, "you look stressed. Are you stressed?". "You know stress causes hair loss" I knew immediately what she was doing... Of course I was stressed my hair was falling out and I paid 2000.00 for it! She had a scam set already to tell woman they're stressed and hey, it's not her fault. When they came out I died. The hair that was left on my head was pathetic. Never in my life did I expect to look like I did. I still am ashamed to be seen in public. It should be criminal for what they are doing. I guarantee you eventually this will catch up with them. There should be a law suit over what these things do to our hair. If anyone reads this and you think for one second you'll get away with it please DONT! It's not worth it. I wish someone warned me. One more thing. Will my hair grow back? Please anyone that went through this please let me know.... I'm so panic stricken that this is permanent.

on 10/29/2013 10:23:00 AM

Had these awful things put in a month ago & boy was I sorry I even started with these! I had to get them taken out the next morning because they were killing my scalp & not to mention the lady who put them in did a terrible job! She didn't even do the back bottom half because it was a little short & it looked like a hair curtain hanging over my head! I was so disappointed too cause I couldn't even wear it up if I wanted to & that's what that's things are supposed to do too, look like your own hair! This woman/hairdresser did a terrible job in the first place & ruined my hair even further when she gave me a free color for having spent all that money that I sinfully wasted in the first place! She turned my own hair orangey when my hair was hair was highlightened blond & brown in the first place! Do yourselves a favor, if you are considering having these things done, check check check the hairdresser's work & credentials & ask to see photos of it! I'm sorry I didn't do that! Also grow out your own hair & don't waste your money, I'm sick over $1,000 I threw away!!!

on 9/8/2013 9:23:00 PM

Had Great lengths. Still cringe when I look at the pictures. Went to see Del at Hair Biz Extensions Victoria and never looked back. Way more natural, awesome placement, and they LAST forever. I've now had them for 4 years. Luv!!

on 3/28/2013 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am finding a similar problem with GL extensions as some have already noted. I have been experiencing pieces falling out and assumed that they were slipping. Well to my horror I looked at the last piece that came out to find that the piece did actually rip out my hair at the root. I have no health issues(which they asked me about) and I feel that the weight of the extension is to blame for my hair being literally ripped from the root . I will be going in tomorrow to have them taken out and to asssess the damage and hair loss:(

Popular Hair Products