Fresh Mangosteen

3.1

Sampled this a bit ago, and while I wanted to love it, all I could do was like it. It smelled a bit grapefruit+flower like to me. Blast of fruit, then a clean drydown. My response to the whole thing was "eh". While I do like it, I don't think I could spend the $$ Fresh wants for this. Maybe at a discount or a decant, but for what it is, I could find something similarly fruity at a bath and body store.

Lovely smell that actually lives up to the brand's name -- it's incredibly fresh!
Unfortunately, like all the Fresh products I've tried, it's gone from my skin within 3 hours.
Wear it if you want to smell deliciously pretty on your way out the door. It's a fruity floral that's not girlish or boring.

To Read all 17 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/16/2009 2:11:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

As I've had plenty of mangosteen, as well as several other kinds of "exotic" fruit, courtesy of NYC Chinatown fruit markets, I have got to say that there is no "mango flavor", appearance, or aroma to mangosteen fruit; their similarity is in name only.

Bad mangosteen fruit lacks sweetness, and tastes like flat beer to me, while a good mangosteen tastes like a mild blend of peaches & strawberries, with a hint of vanilla ice cream.

This fragrance does not SMELL the way a good mangosteen TASTES, but it is reminiscent, IMO, of the scent of the fruit, especially just after the initial bright, fruity blast calms down. The problem is, I prefer the initial fruity blast which smells of citrus zest, fresh peach juice, and clean florals. This, however, only lasts a few minutes before the fragrance begins to smell a bit like stale beer and corn chips.

on 4/6/2009 1:45:00 AM

I love the way the soaps and lotions smelled so I decided to get the matching perfume to go with it. I find the scent to be overwhelmingly sweet for me when first sprayed on, but dries down to a fruity and floral scent with a hint of musk, with sweet overtones that resembles cotton candy. It stays on all day for me, but I find the scent to be too overpowering and I hardly ever wear it. It also gives me a headache sometimes. Plus the price was a bit hefty (I managed to find it on eBay) and the packaging leaves something to be desired (it comes with a screw on cap that you have to remove and screw on the sprayer, but the sprayer doesn't have a top to it, bad for traveling). Since I tire of scents easily, I definitely won't be buying this sticky sweet concoction again.

on 3/27/2009 3:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wanted to like this but was so disappointed by the lack of mangosteen in Mangosteen. I agree with the previous reviewer who guessed that Fresh assumed that their market would not know the pungent, heady scent of mangosteen, a treat to be had only in the land where they grow. The only thing I could compare that lacking note to might be the sticky-sweet smell of strawberry that lingers on my baby's skin after he's had a bowlfull. On the other hand, the generic, fruity mess that is Fresh Mangosteen could easily be compared to bathroom potpourri.

The first thing this fragrance reminds me of, is shampoo. I guess that's a good thing....it's a pretty generic fruity combo, but I still like it. :) This scent reminds me of Estee Lauder Pleasures Exotic and is perfect for spring/summer. The price is fair, $75 for a 3.4oz. I removed a lippie because (as other reviewers have mentioned) the lasting power isn't great and you can't seal it with a cap once the sprayer is in. The bottle originally comes sealed with a cap and a separate sprayer. So you would have to put the sprayer in, and toss/save the cap. You cannot put the cap on once the sprayer is in, it just won't fit. :( I love this fragrance for now, but I can see myself tire of this very quickly. Otherwise, lovely fragrance...and I'd wear this in the spring/summer and around people who aren't too fond of perfume, as it's never overwhelming.

on 6/8/2008 7:13:00 AM

I like this and the Lychee however they both have no staying power. This scent you can definetly pick up the mango essence and its a bit sweet and flowery. Something I don't normally like, but I do in this one.

I got a sample of this, and I think the scent is lovely and fresh, great for spring/summer- however, it has zero staying power. I can't smell it at all within an hour of putting it on. I know some would say to just use more in the first place, but then you stink of too much perfume - and who wants that?

I went to a local fragrance boutique, originally looking for the Kai fragrances because I love gardenias, but walked out with this instead (the Kai was too heavy for me). It starts out almost overwhelmingly sweet, in a bright, not a cloying way, but this fortunately fades away almost immediately to a light, warm, citrusy scent that seems to me perfect for Southern CA springs and summers (I know the weather is pretty much the same year-round here compared to other places, but a girl can pretend). Other reviews have compared this to Bath and Body Works scents, but I don't agree. Those, to me, are very flat and harsh, and this manages to both mild and bright. I don't think I would pay the full $75 price tag for this, but it was on sale for $45, and at that price I'd probably pick it up again.

on 2/12/2008 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm generally picky with fragrances, and I think this one is lovely. Not overly-sweet, not headache inducing. Fruity without a hint of spice. Almost slightly tropical, even though I usually despise tropical. Great lasting power; stays on me all day with only a spritz or two on my wrists or hair. My BF loves it. :)

Popular Fragrances