MAC Cosmetics Technakohl in Photogravure

MAC Cosmetics Technakohl in Photogravure

4.4

on 10/28/2018 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

When my Chanel Pomme de Pin was discontinued I turned to this. The colour was not a good but acceptable. I used it to tightline and although it was meant for this purpose it failed horribly. The product broke down into very tiny bits during wear and flaked into my eyes.

on 6/19/2018 7:48:00 PM

I love this eyeliner mostly for the color, it’s the perfect brown-black for those of us who look a bit too harsh with black eyeliner for day-to-day. The formula is nothing special and I find that it smudges a bit by the end of the day, especially if it’s hot. Lasts about 3-4mos for me with daily use.

on 5/27/2018 4:02:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I bought my first MAC eyeliner back in 2011 and have been repurchasing the same one since. Absolute HG!

I've tried quite a few eyeliners (both drugstore and high-end) and they ALL smudge to the point of looking like a raccoon after just a couple of hours. I really can't understand why. Some simply disappear, almost as if I did not draw my eyes.

This stays on all day and night. I apply it at 8am and by 11pm, it's still in place with no smudging. Or very minimal smudge at the very most.

Sometimes I really want to try out cheaper alternatives but I think to myself that the last thing I want is to unintentionally look like a raccoon and waste money at the same time.

So I guess I'll be repurchasing this until they stop producing it.

I love this!! But I'm cheating on my #1 lover HG w Stila Smudgesticks coz during the Ulta 21 days of beauty in March 2016 I got Stila Smudgesticks in Lionfish & Stingray for USD$11 ea. They claim to be H2Oprood but MAC e/l is much better IMO than Stila. Photogravure is a cool brown (Stila Lionfish has a redder tone), good quality e/l that wears like iron. I never do my waterline w brown but here's what I do: use MAC lash curler, apply pale neutral shadow a bit of shimmer (think: All That Glitters or Naked Lunch), use this e/l to tightline top & make a very thin line right next to where I tightlined right on lashline, 2 coats MAC In Dimension mascara top lashes only finish w a MLBB (do the rest of ur face of course fdtn, contour hi lite etc), I'm really in lurve w Kevyn Aucoin Flesh Medium lip pencil as a lip color w gloss over the top (eg TF Lip Injection or Smashbox O), I read this is the best way to do eye MU if u wear glasses according to Loreal.com tutorial. It looks really classy, my go to look when I'm not doing sexy Bridget Bardot sex kitten look (a girl wearing glasses CAN be sexy yes). :-)

on 12/26/2015 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Great, great eyeliner. It's brownish-black so it can be worn with dark brown or black mascara. It's very long lasting! I've used tons of eyeliners over the years, and this one just holds down the fort throughout the whole day. I also love that it's mechanical and not a regular pencil, so you don't need to waste time on sharpening it and it never ends up poking your eye.

on 7/19/2015 8:12:00 PM

Just adding my two cents, this product is pretty fantastic. The colour is the best brown-black I've tried (maybe other than the Origins "Fudge" 02), perfect for pale skin on which black looks too harsh. The texture is a bit waxy, which probably helps it stay on longer but makes it a little less creamy. This is a sacrifice I'm willing to make! However, it's not totally smudge-proof - I do have oily lids/skin - but the smudging on lower lids isn't too terrible and happens after about 5h or so. Packaging is a convenient twist-top and the price is decent (~20 CDN). With everyday use, I run out every 3-4 months or so. I've repurchased this probably about 5 times, and will continue to do so!

on 4/20/2014 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is not a good eyeliner.

I was looking for a long wearing pencil eyeliner that was a black/brown or a very dark cool brown.

I have and love UD 24/7 in both demolition and LE crave, and I love them but they're a PITA to sharpen. I found mac technakohl in photogravure and thought this was the answer to my prayers.

It is not.

This liner drags across the lids. DRAGS. No matter what my line always looks shaky and just unskilled. I'm not an eyeliner expert or anything but I know how to draw a straight line. I cannot with this eyeliner.

The color payoff is mediocre at best so I find myself having to go over the same shaky line again and again and again.

This product does not last on my lids AT ALL. Even with a primer this goes under my eyes on the outer corners and I have horrible raccoon face. Even on days where I'm not out long.

This performs worse than any, ANY drugstore eyeliner I have ever bought. Truly.

Why 3 stars then? The color is perfect. This is exactly the color I wanted.

But everything else is absolutely unacceptable. I'll finish this on days I guess I don't care what I look like (when is that honestly?). But I will not repurchase. Not ever ever ever.

::sigh:: I guess my search continues :(

on 6/24/2013 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

UPDATE: After 6+ months I'm finding it's getting more difficult to get a nice dark line from this product. It seems to be drying up a bit and becoming harder in texture. I will not repurchase. I've switched to Stila Smudge Stick e/l in Damsel, which is softer in texture.

My coloring: NC20, brown eyes/hair.

Photogravure is a neutral, matte, dark brownish black and is the perfect softer alternative to black. There are no red or grayish tones, which makes it flattering for a variety of skintones/coloring.

I really like the Technakohls as they are long-wearing (I don't wear e/l on my waterline), glide on smoothly with a nice point, and don't need sharpening. I love this one so much that I also picked up Brownborder and sadly that one wasn't dark enough and had unflattering red undertones against my eye color.

on 2/1/2013 2:47:00 PM

This is an okay liner. It's no better than any DS liner I've tried, though. I don't think it's worth paying the extra cash. Save your money.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

This was the first MAC product I ever purchased, and once I used it I was hooked. It was the FIRST, and continues to be the ONLY eyeliner that STAYS PUT. I've used so many others and on my oily skin with my small watery eyes they would be all over my undereye area - ugh. This stuff stays put. Will always have one of these in my makeup bag. And I love the colour. I have very fair pale skin, with blue eyes, and black always looks waaay too harsh on me. This is a nice dark brown, and it contrasts my eyes very nicely. I will never be without this :).