Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Makeup
Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder MakeupDouble Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Makeup

3.7

Talc, Isostearyl Palmitate, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Methicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Boron Nitride, Methyl Methacrylate, Crosspolymer, Polypropylene, Phenoxyethanol, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Carmine, Chromium Hydroxide Green

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Updated:

I think we are twins with previous reviewer.
I'm buying this foundation since 2008, always the same Pebble color and using it occasionally. Before EL reformulated Double Wear in 2014 I was able to use this powder almost all year around, except summer holiday / post-holiday period when my face gets tanned. Now the shade looks good on me only in wither months, when my medium skin is more pale. Also I've noticed that undertone is not yellow, like before, it's cool grayish pink.

Pros:
- light to medium buildable coverage
- fast application (easy to do on the go, I use brush to apply it and my application is finished in 1 minute)
- almost invisible (I don't know any other foundation / powder that looks as close to skin as this one), my face looks like a slightly photoshopped version of itself not like a made up completion UPDATE - NOT TRUE FOR PICTURES, SOMEHOW IT ACCENTUATE ALL UNEVENNESS OF SKIN SURFACE
- long lasting (on my normal dehydrated skin it lasts true 8 hours)
- doesn't brake out my extremely sensitive skin, now I wear it every day when I wear makeup (I used to love Double Wear light foundation, but after latest reformulation finally understood that this product causes my breakouts)
- doesn't dry out my skin and doesn't feel like a powder

Cons:
- I don't like that after each reformulation EL messing up with their shades and undertones, you have to know when something got reformulated to be sure that the product will match your expectations
- I can't even find shade that perfectly matches my skin anymore, they either have wrong undertone, either too light or too dark
- not modern photo friendly finish, good for real life, but not for pictures

Won't repurchase, won't recommend.

on 2/24/2017 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been for years a faithful user of this powder foundation, mostly because the shade Pebble matched my slightly tanned complexion like anything else in the world. The case lasted me almost 8 years with an average of daily usage for 3 months a year, as it was generous 16g. The only gripe I had was that it was not so long-lasting on my combination skin, but used on top of Perfectionist serum and/or a primer (Bare Mineral) it lasted quite well.

I have decided to finally buy a new one, also because the new case has an extra space for a sponge or a small brush, which is very useful for touch ups on the go. I remembered having read that since it has been reformulated 2014 the colours are not longer the same, so I asked to the SA if the new Pebble was exactly like the old one. She said yes, and I also compared the new one to the old one there at the counter and so far they looked pretty much the same.

When I applied the powder the next day though I noticed a few differences: the new colour doesn't correspond to the old one. The new Pebble is much lighter and neutral, almost ashier then the old one. I can wear it right now because I'm only slighlty tanned but as soon as I get darker I will need a new shade and I really don't know which one would match my skin. I welcome EL improving the texture of foundations but I really don't understand why they always mess with the shades, keeping the same names and codes.

Also the texture has changed. The old one was creamier, more moist, so the brush would pick up more and I would achieve a good coverage much faster. In comparison the new is dryer, more like a powder and you need to layer more to achieve the same coverage. The overall effect is indeed very natural and smoothing, I also think that it lasts longer than the older version.

What I didn't like is that after two weeks of usage using a brush it has built a bit of a stain on the surface that I had to remove with a tissue and the golden ring around the pan is easely scratched, which never happened with the previous model. And finally I have noticed that the amount of product has diminished, there are now only 12g.

I'm not sure if I will buy it again, it depends how long I can wear this shade, as for now it seem to be more of a transition shade, and I'm scared of having to start experimenting again to find the right shade for me and considering that it is not cheap I guess that I will start looking for more affordable but equally good brands.

Used the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Powder Makeup for over a year.

Why I like it >

= Very handy, portable powder. Easy for when I'm on the go at work and out in the evenings. Packaging is great quality.

= Had no irritations / breakouts, and I'm VERY sensitive to spots and breakouts.

= Good for building up coverage.

= Doesn't dry up my skin.

= No fragrance.

And why I don't like it >

= It doesn't have the staying power it claims when I use it alone.

= Face looks unnatural / heavy when I use this as a finishing powder over liquid foundation.

My opinions based on product claims:

"Compact powder with 8-Hour wear" >
= As my only makeup base, the Stay-In-Place powder doesn't last for 8 hours on me ... doesn't even last for 2-3 hours. When used as a finishing powder over my Double Wear Light foundation, it did the job of making my makeup last, however my face looked heavily made up and not as natural-looking as I wanted.

"Feels/stays on comfortably without feeling dry."
= It does feel comfortable, not heavy at all. Not drying at all (I have normal/combo/oily skin).

"Looks natural, even through nonstop activity" >
= It has a matte finish for me. Just a shame it doesn't have the staying power I want!

"For a continuously flawless look, without touch-ups."
= I wouldn't say it gives me a complete 'flawless' look, just a matte look. And definitely need to touch up after 2-3 hours.

Conclusion >
= For me it's not a HG face powder, but it's a good powder I can rely on that won't cause me breakouts. But I'm still on the hunt for my HG powder ...

3.5/5 STARS

///

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I tried the liquid version of Double Wear back in 2010 and quite liked it, but I've never used the powder version until 2014. I started trying powder foundations since I began my clinical internships, with night shifts coming like avalanche and I don't really feel like spending time to doll myself up every morning. I was so shut out from the world that I haven't heard of things like tinted moisturizers and BB creams back then, so I resorted to powder - which is easier to slip into your purse compared to liquid foundation bottle.
I am currently using Tawny (3W1), just as my liquid version. It's best used with damp sponge for better coverage. When used dry, it also serves as a good touch-up powder - just be light with applying it. It stays on for about 4 hours before I need to touch up, and it helps controlling shine in my T-zone as well. Unlike some other powders I tried, this one hasn't broken me out.

on 7/13/2016 8:20:00 PM

This is now a must have product for me. whilst I was happy with the finish double wear liquid foundation gave me without any powder, I wanted a more flawless look. I can achieve that with this. I use the sponge applicator provided with this powder foundation and apply it over my liquid foundation. The finish is great and i feel so confident whilst wearing it. i have oily skin and unfortunately it does nothing for long term oil control as after 3/4 hours I have to use blotting powder. However I feel that is more down to my skin/primer/work environment. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again.

on 3/2/2016 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have this powder in 2C3 Pebble for Winter and 3C2 Soft tan for Summer. I love it. I like that it evens out my tones when dry and gives such ultimate coverage when moistened. I have the new formulation which I have not had any problems with in regards to oxidizing. I was told they reformulated this last year. I always apply this after my high SPF day cream and it gives me coverage all day. I spot conceal then press DW pressed powder on with a stippling brush lightly. Then flick any excess off with a flat powder brush. It does not settle into lines nor have I noticed it clinging to my facial hair. I just get a soft focus effect which I love.

on 2/25/2016 9:58:00 PM

I use this powder as a finishing powder with a velour puff underneath a minimal amount of the double wear foundation. This gives me a beautiful soft focus, full coverage, smooth. hydrated, long wearing finish. I have combo-oily skin and it was just perfection.

on 12/29/2015 5:37:00 PM

Despite its name, it does not provide a long wear finish. It is pleasantly scented, easy to apply, provides decent coverage and natural finish, but it makes my T zone shiny in less than 2 hours which is also when the colour starts to disappear. In less than 3 hours, it is completely gone from my nose and my forehead and is impossible to touch up quickly. I must remove it first with a tissue/cotton pad and then reapply. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Really enjoyed Estee Lauder's Stay-In-Place foundation so I decided to buy the matching Stay-In-Place powder. Not worth the $80 I spent.

- Doesn't control oil (T-Zone becomes very oily)
- Powder sticks to hairs on face
- Looks very cakey and ashy
- Darkens throughout the day

Had high hopes for this product. Don't recommend buying it.

I had never used an Estee Lauder product before, but I'd heard good things about their Double Wear line so I was excited to try this. My mom had purchased this powder and realized that she bought the wrong shade, so she let me have it. It's a perfect color match on me.

Although it's a powder foundation, I never use powders by themselves. I always use them to set my liquid foundations and combat shine. This stuff worked perfectly for that purpose. I use this over my BB cream or medium coverage foundation to get a little more coverage. One application is good for the day and I never have to reapply. It gives me an airbrushed look, too. I fell in love with this stuff immediately!

I love the texture of it. It's very fine milled and goes on so smooth. It comes with a sponge, but I prefer to use a kabuki brush because it gives a nicer and more even finish. I like that you can build this up to achieve fuller coverage without looking too cakey. A few other people seem to have issues with it oxidizing, but luckily I haven't had that problem and I've been using this powder for quite some time.

This is a great product! I am so happy that my mom passed this along to me instead of exchanging it, because it has become a staple of my makeup routine. It's a little pricey, but I can definitely see myself repurchasing this in the future. Now I'm curious about trying the infamous Double Wear liquid...