3.9

package quality

price range

Reviews

5 months ago

after hating flip flops the first 2/3 of my life, i've found my havianas to hit that perfect sweet spot of functionality, fashion (as much as cheap rubber flip flops can be fashionable), and comfort. i own one pair and i have owned them for six years. here and there i'll get blisters (this mostly occurred within the first month i wore them), but every summer without fail these come out and get WORN (except for two years ago when i couldn't find them in my closet). these have been on my feet for long walks (hours worth of walking time), in and out of water (i believe it is important to wear some kind of shoe at the beach), indoors and outside, and they show no signs of wear. also, while definitely not orthopedic shoes, these don't damage your feet either. i think the quality justifies the price and if you buy one pair in a basic color (mine are black) they will literally be all you need for years to come.

About reviewer (185 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

2 years ago

These feel and wear like 99c seaside-drugstore flip-flops. SO UNCOMFORTABLE! I take it they must spend a lot on advertising or something? i can't imagine how this brand would have ever been known otherwise. Often when footwear isn't quite right for me, it goes in a box for my daughter to root through when she's my size. These weren't worth saving. Would really recommend trying to dig up a pair of Sensi flip-flops -- comfy, and they wear like iron. Also comfy, and easier to find: LL Bean's.

About reviewer (30 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBrunette

EyesBlue

4 years ago

I've owned several pairs of these over the years - I like to be as close to barefoot as possible at all times, which means flip flops. Havaianas are the best balance of attractive, supportive, comfortable, secure, and affordable that I've found. I always choose the flashier straps, namely metallic and multichromatic ones. They don't fall apart over time, nor does the strap suddenly break while you're crossing the street/running down the stairs in a subway station/carrying a hot drink. A word of warning: some designs have a layer of very thin fabric on the sole, while some are bare rubber. The bare rubber combined with the signature "rice" texture attracts dirt and dust like you wouldn't believe. Try to buy in person, if you can, to make sure you're getting fabric-covered soles, or your feet will be very grungy very quickly.

About reviewer (209 reviews)

5 years ago

I used to think I hated flip flops; all the ones I'd tried were uncomfortable because the strap and thong bit into my skin; they never fit quite right, and the sole was always flimsy. In '10, I bought a pair of Havaianas online in a moment of whimsy, and I haven't looked back since. They're as cute as flip flops can be (I like the metallic straps), comfortable (the Top more so than the Slim), and very secure-feeling (ditto). They're also as supportive as flip flops can be, although they don't compare to a good pair of proper shoes by any means. I don't recommend doing any significant walking in them; as cushy as the thong is, it still starts to chafe after a while. They're also very well-made - despite daily wear for a good 4/5 of the year, the first pair I bought back in 2010 still looks pretty much as good as new, other than a little dirt on the insole. As someone who'd be barefoot all the time if she could get away with it (and likes to show off her pedi), Havaianas are indispensable!

About reviewer (150 reviews)

from

6 years ago

I prefer Ipanema. Had a pair of navy Havaianas that broke after several months for no obvious reason. They're pricey ($20-$30), flimsy flat, and not great quality. Awful customer service too - I ordered 2 pair off their website, they sent me the wrong size, then would not take them back! I called them 4 times about being sent the wrong size and they kept saying they would have someone send me an email asap about sending me the correct size. 6 weeks later when I called, they said they didn't know why no one had responded to me and they couldn't help me with an exchange. Wow. Ipanemas are similar, but better quality. They have a great black platform sandal that is super comfie. I'll stick with them!

About reviewer (139 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinOily, Olive, Warm

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

2.0

6 years ago

Not impressed! I bought a pair of Havianas at Christmas for my vacation to Fuerteventura, they were black with Mickie mouse patterns on. The first time I wore them on my vacation they were fine and really comfortable, as a few days went on, the mixture of wet feet and sand started to rub the color off. Also I was walking down some rocks and the toe seperator gave way so my foot slid out of the flipflop and I nearly skidded down the cliff! They did this multiple times. By the end of the week all the colour had rubbed off and I was left with tacky, worn-out flip flops. I am not one to complain or feel the need to write a bad review about anything, but after paying £20 only for them to be broken in a week, is very disappointing.

About reviewer (12 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Medium

HairBlond

6 years ago

I think its bullshit to spend so much on a pair of flip flops with the word 'havaianas' on them. at the end of the day, they are flip flops... How good could they get?! such a waste of money.

About reviewer (16 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

from

7 years ago

I just bought my 1st pair of Havaianas from Ricky's when I saw how good the Freedom thong sandal looked on a young girl. Before now I'd never heard of the brand before (though I've always seen the flipflops in the store, I never tried them on or took note of the brand). I was stunned to see the $32 price tag for a pair of foam & rubber (albeit high quality), but was willing to try them...I've been searching for comfortable minimal sandals that weren't flipflops but give some cushioning, which is HTF. I wear size 7.5-8, so 37-38 (US 7.5W-8.5W) fit well for me. Could maybe use a little extra 1/4" foam sole length at the back of the heel but this is fine too. The flexible straps are comfortable & not tight & I love that the ankle strap is adjustable for a custom fit. The foam sole is firm yet flexible & provides surprisingly nice cushioning on concrete streets, which I haven't been able to find w/any other flat shoe except sneakers/athletic shoes. I hear this brand is durable so I hope my pair will last a long time. IThe gold color I wanted was sold out in my size everywhere, so I got silver which looks really great & now I prefer it over the gold (after having tried on gold in a wrong size just to see how the color would look on me). Now I'm thinking about getting black. As w/any open sandal, my feet tend to slip in them when they perspire (for some reason it always happens @ work but never outdoors, maybe because of high A/C), so I may add Foot Petals ball-of-foot foam cushions to keep my feet anchored properly in the sandals & prevent slipping. Comfortable casual sandals that are bare & fashionable - love them!

About reviewer (709 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinDry, Medium, Warm

HairGrey, Kinky, Medium

7 years ago

Is it an orthotic shoe? No. Is it an orthotic shoe compared to US$5 flip flops from Walmart, or even $20 flip flops from Roxy? Yes. For a flip flop, it's extremely supportive - I have a bum ankle, and despite this, I'm comfortable all day in my Havaianas, even going up and down the stairs several times. The thong is well-padded and comfy, too. The "Slim" (thinner strap) design isn't quite as comfortable as the "Top", but either is fine as long as you're not taking a walking tour or somesuch. My only quibble with Havaianas is that they're currently not making many "Top" designs that have both the metallic strap and an interesting footbed pattern - I would pay double or even triple the original price for a new pair of my graphite Pois, which are a black footbed with hot pink and gray shaded retro mod dots, plus a dark gray metallic "Top" strap.

About reviewer (72 reviews)

8 years ago

Talk to a podiatrist about flip-flops (or thongs as they are called in here in Australia) and they will tell you how terrible they are for your feet in the long run. They cause clawed toes along with a whole host of other issues. One MD writes: "The truth is many of our favorite flip-flops can be sending us feet first into serious injuries to our feet, ankles, knees, hips and even our back. Over time these injuries can lead to serious bone, tendon, and joint damage." (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-whyte-md-mph/flip-flops-hurt-feet-_b_844981.html) Also, they look awful, so tacky... at least that's my 2 cents. I don't know why anyone would risk their health for them.

About reviewer (42 reviews)

Age25-29