NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine

NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine

4.3

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 2/14/2016 8:17:00 PM

I tried this on at Sephora and whether it was the lighting or what, I don't know... But it looked very different when I tried it on at home and really different outside in natural daylight.

All that said, I still like it, but in a different way than I did in-store ;) It softens the color of my red lips, without looking like I'm blatantly wearing something that is softening the color of my lips. I like that. This shade gives me a naturally, sweet and flirty look I wasn't expecting, that I may save for when I go out, as opposed to at work (which is what I originally bought it for).

I do find it a bit drying and feel like a well-exfoliated lip would hold this better. But over all I like it as a shade for when I'm attempting the subtle, "I look cute but I'm not trying to look cute" look ;)

on 7/17/2015 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Dupe please !

LOVE COLOR hate packaging

Bought (2) from Sephora at about $24 each, for summer lips. I just press into lips, do not use much

PRO
1). The color - I LOVE IT. It is subtle enough, yet wakes up my lips and goes nicely with a sheer wash of Bobbi Brown Blusher in Pale pink

CONS
1). The 2 pencils are already used up, yes you heard me, gone due to the packaging. When you sharpen these, you will go through at least 1/3 of the product. On several occassions, the pencil sharpened and caught inside so I had to dump the product and re sharpen - SO

2). It ends up being a VERY expensive, probably the most expensive lip pencil / lip stick product you will ever buy

FIND A DUPE

To Read all 75 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/16/2015 7:12:00 AM

The color is good a nice blue-based pink, doesn't turn orange on me but otherwise I'm disappointed with this product. Over-hyped and overrated! The pencil has no staying power, needs to be sharpened often (and wastefully), and is poorly designed so that the top pops off randomly, like a rocket. Way overpriced for what you actually get.

on 9/4/2014 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Super amazing color, perfect for NC 30 skin types, i have never found such a beautfiul perfect pink dusty rose for my skin tone. However I hate the packaging, i waste alot of the product when i have to sharpen it. other than that its great, the texture is amazing. It is a little pricey but i'm willing to pay for the perfect color. !

on 8/25/2014 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this color. It's a very interesting shade, and hard to describe. I would say it's primarily a pink, with brown, mauve, and even purple tones in it. On close inspection it also has some very fine glitter in it, but nothing too gritty or noticeable really. It is a very wearable, mature shade, and quite matte, which means it will stay on for a decent time. It reminds me of Kylie Jenner's 90s lips, only less brown.
The formula is dry, but while applying it is creamy and smooth. After a couple hours I do use a balm over it, but it's nothing too terrible, and I have dry lips. The fact that you need to sharpen this product is the only thing that bugs me, as you lose a lot of product that way and it is another cost to consider, on top of the 25 USD..

It is on the expensive side, as well as slightly drying. However, the unique color and longevity make up for this and, in my eyes, this lip pencil is still worth checking out!

on 5/22/2014 7:36:00 AM

I had a SA recommend this to me as a great daily lippie. At first I thought, no...to brown toned. Then I tried it and it was a lovely MLBB dusty rose plum type shade but surprisingly looking pinker toned under the cosmetic counter lighting of Nordies, kind of like MAC Plumful in this lighting. I even checked this out in the mirror of a passing store and was surprised how the color seemed brighter than I expected. Then, I got in the car...in broad daylight...and it was like scary scene from a horror movie. I froze for a second as I noticed that my lips literally looked like a raisen now. Lines I didn't even know were there were visible. It was like this lip product was sucking all moisture from my lips as the minutes went on. Also now in broad daylight, it looked much more brown toned. When I got home and did a closer analysis, I quickly realized this lipstick is just sitting there. It is doing nothing for me. I was doing all the work to make this texture and color work. So on me the color was "eh", but a great MLBB color for many. The texture...I wanted matte, not spongelike dry suck. This was supposed to be a quick easy lippie, and it was far from that for me. I love the concept but it just didn't work for me. (I am NW20 (with a tendency to pull orange brown out in shades), brown eyes, almost black hair, mauvey lips, deep winter.)

on 5/21/2014 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I didn't like the formula at first since it feels very drying on its own. But with a light lip balm underneath it's much more comfortable to wear, though it doesn't wear as long as it does on bare lips. On my very pale skin it's a medium, rosy cool-pink that's really pretty and a bit sophisticated due to the matte finish. When I apply it directly it's very opaque and covers my fairly pigmented lips easily, but I tend to dab it on with my fingers since I prefer a softer effect with this color. The wear length depends on how I use it, and because it really only feels nice with the balm underneath I get a couple hours before I have to reapply. Otherwise this really goes the distance.

A few issues I have with this is the poorly fitting cap, which doesn't seal correctly and tends to pop off at random times, especially if it's tossed into my purse. I have Dragon Girl and that also has cap problems, which drives me a little crazy. So these aren't ideal for me to carry anywhere. Also, sharpening it involves a lot of waste. I've put it in the freezer for a bit to make it easier to sharpen but that causes crumbling sometimes. So the convenience of the pencil form isn't as simple as I'd like.

I'm on the fence as to whether I'd repurchase but it's a lovely color and I do like it. So for now I'm going with yes, I'd buy it if I ran out. I don't think I'll be interested in exploring other colors though apart from the two I already own.

I LOVE this colour! Perfect and versatile, sweet blushing pink for my NC 25/30 skin. Used it on my wedding day and it stayed on pretty much the whole time. On my 3rd pencil now :)

on 12/11/2013 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This mauvy/rose colour takes my pigmented lips to the next level. It is a matte texture which makes this look even more naturally enticing however I prefer a clear balm underneath it since it seems to accent lines. Sometimes I do Bobbi Brown's white lip gloss over it and it stays a reasonable time. I have a mixed assessment about the package because it is convenient but awkward to sharpen and a lot of the product gets wasted. The name is very inspiring!

on 11/27/2013 6:24:00 PM

I don't often wear light colors on my lips. I'm more of a red or deep wine girl, but I really like this color for my less "dramatic" days. It seems to last all day. My only complaint is it's difficult to find a sharpener to fit it. The NARS sharpener is too small.