NARS Cosmetics Velvet Matte Lip Pencil

4.5

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have this in Cruella (from a Sephora birthday set) and I bought Walkyrie. The formula is matte without the drying effect that so many matte lippies have and it almost feels like I'm not wearing anything on my lips. Walkyrie is a gorgeous color that has some brown, orange and brick red. It's hard to describe but it is a gorgeous color!

I tried this in Let's Go Crazy. The color is a bright magenta Pink. The color really isn't for me BUT i'm really surprised at the great reviews for this pencil in general. The color wore off super fast. It did go on really smooth and creamy but it faded too fast for the money....

What can I say! Love this product. I have it in two shades, Cruella and Rikugien. Cruella is a rich rich red and Rikugien is a soft rosey pink. Both shades would be close to universally flattering.

No smell. and it goes on buttery smooth. It lasts forever! I can get through a whole night of drinks and it's still on. Sandwiches and heavy foods, not so much. I usually have to reapply after eating, which is fine because this product doesn't smear or budge. It also doesn't bleed, so applying right on top of it again is totally ok.

As far as wear, you can feel for the first little while that you are wearing lipstick, because of the matte texture and it makes your lips ever so slightly tight. But very hydrating compared to other matte lipsticks, and it never dries me out.

You do have to waste a good bit of the product sharpening it, but buy the Nars sharpener, I've found that it works the best.

For a more economical purchase, buy the Sonia Kashuk Matte Pencils. They are 1/2 the price, and the exact same thing. Less colors available, but the Rosey Pink is almost identical to Cruella (it is a little less brown, and actually I find it to be a nicer color for daytime/universal wear). These lipstick smell a little funny compare to Nars, but the lasting power and application is all the same.

I have several of these lip pencils and they are probably my favorite lipsticks ever. I am a big fan of a matte lip and these go on so smoothly and all the colors I've tried are flattering. I received a sample of the Nars satin lip pencil and that is nice too, but I don't like it nearly as much as I do the matte version.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I need to preface this by saying my view on these pencils is controversial. Everyone I know loves these. I hate being the voice of dissent. However...

I have one in cruella and one in sex machine. Both the colors are absolutely gorgeous. Cruella is this beautiful bright fuchsia red with a little bit of orange in it. The other is a lovely "my lips but better" shade on me. Terms of color range, these pencils cannot be bested.

But in terms of lasting power, they have none. In all fairness, very few lipsticks last long on me. But I bought these because everyone had told me that they lasted the entire day, even through food. I couldn't get them to last an hour ingesting nothing. Moreover, they transferred onto everything.

If you're looking for pencils that are spectacular in color, I do recommend these. but if you're looking for something that really does last all day, I recommend finding a stain instead. Save your money.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Stains easily. Definitely eat proof but not kiss proof. The color is beautiful, got it in a deep red. Makes your lips look flawless and pouty, guaranteed matte. Was sad my sample ran out. Definitely going to make a trip to go buy the real deal. It is worth the $$$ IMO

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

I got these in the shades Never Say Never (pink lilac) and Pop Life (shows up coral on me). I love these pencils so far because they are long lasting, wear off evenly, do not seem to dry out the lips and don't feel like anything is on your lips. The colours are great too - I will get the beautiful Damned colour for the fall!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

My new love is Walkyrie. Shade is so perfect for me, most flattering color I have had for a while. It is good for office, it is good for evenings out. Color is on a warm side, quite neutral coral-rose, dark enough to show (I'm Gobi/Deauville NC15/20), red without being too outstanding red. I really like how modern this lip pencil is; lips look very well lined but no need for liner, super-fast, wears a little dry but is satin smooth. (Lips need to be in top condition for all mattes, yes) Wears really well, hours without re-applying. I also got Dolce Vita, which is brighter and more coral, but Walkyrie is my goddess. I recommend to try out NARS lip pencils. My friend who doesn't wear lipstick got Rikugien and loves it too.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love the NARS velvet matte lip pencils for the comfortable matte finish (doesn't leave your lips feeling like the Sahara as some matte lippies) and for the density of the color. The only thing I don't like is they seem to bleed just a little when compared to regular lip pencils. Could be it's just because they're chunkier than regular pencils. The color lasts a long time too and they're great under NARS lip glosses.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have this pencil in Sex Machine. I wasn't expecting much out of a "lip pencil" when I got it....but I love it! It's the perfect soft but kinda bright pink to lighten up a look.