MAC Satin - Era

MAC shadowsMAC - Moon's Reflection & Era -

4.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Era is one of those eyeshadows that's been on my "back burner" - in that category of "I might pick it up one of these days..." but not something particularly exciting or "limited edition that I felt I urgently had to have. But I got an email last week advising me that MAC was permanently lowering the price of their pro pan shadows (my preferred format anyway) and that was enough for me to head out and grab this beauty. As others have said, it may not look all that exciting in the pan but there's a reason it has such a high repurchase rating here on MUA. It is a beautiful neutral light brown/dark beige that isn't yellow or red. It has a "Satin" finish and it has just the right amount of "glow" so it doesn't look flat or dry on my lids. A swipe of this with something like Wedge in the crease and something a bit darker (Brun, UD Vengeance or KvD Solas or Sytry) in the outer V gives a perfect, very finished and elegant looking eye look. Worn all on its own, with some dark brown or black liner and some rich black mascara also gives a really beautiful, quick look that is appropriate for just about any situation. I'm so glad I finally purchased this shadow, about which I'd been kind of "ho-hum".

on 10/23/2015 8:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Great color if you have issues with colors pulling too warm or cool on you. It is light, but is one of those shades for a barely there color that makes a huge impact. Great on the lid, great as transition, I have zero complaints with this.

To Read all 155 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/28/2015 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This is one of my favourite MAC eye shadows. I use it as a lid colour, with wedge as a transition colour and cork to slightly darken the crease. A perfect everyday natural look. I love satins, as a more mature woman, I find that they work beautifully to add dimension to a look without looking too glittery. I use a primer or a paint pot, it lasts well, adding a subtle colour to the lid. I use a 239 to pack it on, it's very buttery and smooth. I think it's a very versatile shadow, in that you can use it with lots of other colours. I also like to use it with saddle or swiss chocolate. I find it pretty and practical - a definite must have.

on 3/3/2015 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

For reference, I'm very pale, but my eyelids are dark. This color did not show up on my lids even with attempts to build the color. Patina is better for me when I want a taupe with a golden sheen.

on 2/22/2015 5:50:00 PM

I'm in love with the shadow, Era. It doesn't look like much in the pan, but on the eyelids - oh my.. It's beautiful! It's perfect for everyday use. I use it with a bit of smudged brown eyeliner almost every day - and with a darker color in the crease, when I'm going out! Perfect shade!

on 10/17/2014 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this eyeshadow. If you're medium skintoned (I'm NC30) and need the perfect crease colour that looks like a natural contour then this eyeshadow is your best friend. Its super blendable, just great. I apply with a 217 and blend it out with a 224. Its foolproof, I highly recommend it.

on 2/28/2014 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have repurchased this shadow at least four times so far. I love it. I am fair with olive undertones (NC/NW 20), and I struggle with colors that are either too warm or too cold. Era is perfect for me. The texture is wonderful. I use it as a base for a brown smokey eye, as a crease color for a nude eye look, and swipe it all over my lids for an easy everyday look.

on 2/27/2014 11:21:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Love this eyeshadow! I've been trying to use up what I have and this is one that I overlook. I've used it everyday this week and just love how it looks on my brown eyes. I've been putting this on my lid with espresso in the crease. Highlight the inner corner with phloof and line with either black or dark brown pencil. It is so pretty and the best part is it stays on my lids all day without a primer.

on 12/2/2013 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

My absolute favorite MAC neutral eyeshadow. This is the easiest color to work with for everyday looks. I usually use it on the lid, with charcoal brown as a transition color and brun for the crease and outer corner. I am very, very, very pale (paler than NC 15 most of the year) and the slight golden tones are not overpowering in this. It's a lovely, taupe-y satin color with the perfect amount of shimmer. You can also use this as a blending out shade because the blend-ability is ahhmazing. You really can't go wrong with this shade!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Like another cool-toned reviewer below, I find Era to be rather unflattering against my fair skin. It makes me look tired, and emphasizes my dark circles. It's just a tad too warm--too golden--to complement my wintry NW10/15 complexion. Two lippies because it blends well, and the texture is lovely.