Guerlain Shalimar

Guerlain Shalimar

3.9

I fell in love with Shalimar Parfum Initial first which I think allowed me to love and appreciate Shalimar. At first I just thought it wouldn’t be for me. But how wrong was I. I kept having a hard time getting over the leather note. But as I wore this I noticed such wonderful scents like incense and vanilla. I also love the citrus in Shalimar I think they smell so good. But as this fragrance develops on my skin it just kept getting better and better. I could smell floral but what I love most about this is the drydown. On my skin this smells like heaven! The sandalwood and tonka mixed with the vanilla and incense just blew my mind. I can’t believe this has been around for so long because yes it does smell vintage but at the same time there’s something timeless about it that makes it current.

I do not think this is an old lady scent and I hate that term so much. I think if you like something and it makes you happy comments like that just don’t matter. This perfume is one of my favorites the sillage and longevity are excellent I spray this and I can still smell it the next day as a wonderful skin scent. This is a number one fragrance for a lot of reasons and I’m so happy I enjoy it as well. I think it smells amazing. My signature is Parfum Initial but I will wear this on special occasions or just when I want to smell a piece of history. My sig other loves this on me as well. Amazing perfume I would love to get a vintage bottle or the parfum. Love!

on 12/2/2017 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Shalimar has a bit of a history in my family. I grew up with my paternal grandmother wearing this lovely scent and I have been told that my great grandmother also used to wear it as well. It was given to her as a gift from my great grandfather when he returned from Paris after WWII.

History aside, this is a lovely perfume. It is a warm winter scent with soft amber notes and rich vanilla. Iris and jasmine are noticeable as well. I have tried Chanel No.5 in the past, which is too strong and soapy smelling for my personal tastes, so this scent provides a good balance - the warmness and comfort of a winter scent with the soft addition of vanilla. I would describe this scent as mature but delicately feminine. It's not fruity or floral or girlish, but rather a perfume that exudes a certain elegance and class. That being said, I definitely don't think that it is an "old lady perfume" as others have expressed. I'm 20 and I purchased the Eau de Toilette, which I think is a very pretty and wearable scent for younger people. Or it could just be that it has something to do with me being a bit of an old soul ;)

on 9/22/2017 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Hands down and without hesitation, Shalimar is THE paramount of perfumes; the single greatest fragrance ever created.

on 7/21/2017 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have no idea how to review something like Shalimar. It isn't the kind of thing you can tiptoe around, because it's a pretty well-covered topic and anything you say about it is probably out there somewhere, lurking in a pesky corner of the Internet waiting to be read by anyone who digs it up. But, BUT BUT BUT, I can't just pass up the opportunity to wax lyrical about one of my new loves. Shalimar. I will probably sound like a perfume idiot; I will probably make purfume non-idiots laugh. Probably out loud, rolling on the floor, yadda yadda yadda. But who cares. It's Shalimar we're talking about. So here I go.

When I first heard about Shalimar, I thought it fitted me to the core - musky, a little bit oriental, kind-of-slightly balsamic, with a trail of gourmand vanilla following after it. Well-rounded, too - and vintage. And as I'd been looking for a perfume to wear (for life, not just occasionally - I live in Paris and people here tend to pick a scent and wear it until they're inside their coffins - and probably even then, too) I thought I'd consider Shalimar. I smelled it at the shop and thought, "Hmm...a bit old lady. A bit acidic, a bit too spicy, a bit too warm..." And then I left it for a while, lingering on my forearm. Then I sniffed it again. And again. And again and again and again and again and then I bought the biggest bottle they had. I jumped into the pool of Shalimar and drowned straight away. I drowned and went to heaven.
Shalimar, from a total non-pro, non-expert, non-fancy-schmancy perspective, is one of those perfumes you have to wait to appreciate. It starts off with a very acidic citrus hit (that's the bergamot) and then a subtle spice overtone emerges like an image fade-in. Just subtly - slightly aromatic, warm and yet not stifling, a bit leathery, kind of smoky, and elegant. It lingers and makes way for a little burst of chilli. Then, as it fades and makes way for the dry-down (which, I'll mention now before I forget, lasts all day and much of the night), a beautiful bouquet of vanilla chimes in and blends with the rest of the notes. It's the kind of scent a beautiful woman with a glorious silk scarf might have - mysterious but open, warm but aloof, gentle but not saccharine, kind but not gushing.
On a pyramidal scale, I'd say that the top note is bergamot (citrussy, leaning towards fresh-floral but still hitting oriental), the mid note is spice ( a little aniseedy, piquant, pepperish with a warm glow of tonka, kind of like a very expertly baked fruit cake, but not as sweet), and the bottom notes are vanilla and a second, purer tincture of tonka (powdery but clear, warm, fresh, techically not gourmand but certainly approaching it).

To wind up this rambling jibber, I'll just say that Shalimar is the most beautiful fragrance I have ever worn or smelled. Provided Guerlain continue to make the stuff (please do, Guerlain! Pretty please) I think I can safely say that I will wear it happily for the rest of my life. It isn't old ladyish, and it isn't acidic. What it is, to me, is a beautiful vintage scent with a plethora of complex tones, and to appreciate it fully, you have to wait and listen and allow it to transport you on a journey from the beginning of the story to the end.

on 5/19/2017 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

The first time I smelled Shalimar I was in high school. I was in love. I never smelled something so heavenly. I saved up my after school job paychecks and bought my first bottle. I have loved this ever since. I wear it on special occasions or when I need a feminine pick me up. because it is expensive but worth every penny. A true oriental. I love the amber notes and complexity. It lasts a long time and so does the memory.
I had an old boyfriend that I haven't seen in 30 plus years and he remembered I wore Shalimar after all this time. He loves it. I was the only person he has ever known who wears it. (I wasn't wearing it at the time). It is sophisticated, sultry, and feminine. If you don't like orientals you won't like it. It's like opera you like it or you don't.

Skin: Normal, Deep Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

So this perfume is very unique in its self. As others have said, its either you love it or hate it. its no between. It's grown and sophisticated. It's not typical .its actually very womanly. So if you like Thierry Muglers Angel or Alien perfume than you will really enjoy this. This is like old school Tubu perfume. But if you opt for something a little more sweeter than run far away from this perfume. This perfume is very strong when 1st sprayed on but it does settle and it lingers. It reminds of old Hollywood glam with big sunglasses. This not for the childish, but for the woman who knows how to make an entrance.

on 1/17/2017 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've smelled this once sprayed on a paper strip in a store and went HELL NO. Then I read about it online and went back. I was so fascinated by its history that I was ready to brave a round of perfume-induced headache for it. This time, I sprayed it on my arm, put my sleeve back down, and waited for 20 minutes. This resulted in me having an out of body experience in the middle of a fish market on an otherwise unremarkable Friday afternoon.

Flowery dramatic language aside, this is astounding. I've never before smelled a perfume that was such an incredible mix of cheerful elegance and pure sophistication and was still positively dripping with sex. I managed to continuously talk myself out of buying it (the price is absolutely ridiculous, although not that higher than what I'll usually pay every couple of years for my perfumes - 73 euros for 30ml of eau de parfum) for about two months before caving. I now own this and I get a fresh round of delighted giggles every time I put it on. I don't know anything about perfume notes, so in total layman's terms: this goes on with a burst of sweet spicy lemon and then kinda evens out into vanilla/caramel/smoky leather, but that lemon continues to hang around and keeps all that heavy sweet scents from getting cloying. I'm especially happy that this comes without that raspy sour headache kick that heavy old-fashioned perfumes usually have for me.

If I return back to flowery poetic language: to me, this is writhing around on gorgeous hardwood floors of a beautiful oak-panelled library, dressed in silk and making out with a gorgeous person, while sunlight streams over us through the windows. Absolutely over-the-top ridiculously glorious. It makes me feel like a film star. The bottle is beautiful, even the box is beautiful, so I keep it in the box, it's better to keep perfumes out of the light anyway. This was worth every cent and I'll absolutely buy it again.

EDIT: I'd like to add two things. For one, this is a proper old-fashioned perfume with multiple notes. It's crucial you try it sprayed on your own skin before deciding to purchase; users report a variety of different experiences, because it depends on your own skin chemistry and your own nose which notes will be the most prominent on you. And it is a very strong scent, so you'll either love it or hate it; I think it's impossible to be just 'meh' about it. Secondly, if your frangrance taste tends towards clean, citrusy, soapy scents, don't even bother with Shalimar. You won't like it. A reviewer on NSTPerfumes wrote that it comes from a time when a 'sexy' scent was more closely associated with filth than with freshly showered skin. Obviously, as a perfume Shalimar doesn't smell actually filthy, but it is a very prominent, very particular scent, and impossible to ignore. It's not coy or fresh; it's opulent. I've had my own bottle at home for about a month now, and while I stand by everything I wrote above and still adore the scent of it as much as I did the first time I smelled it properly, it's now clear that it's really not a perfume for everybody. Make sure you try it and do not, I repeat, do not blind-buy this.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I consider many classic perfumes a work of art that anyone can wear, and I have a lot of respect for women who refuse to wear what is trendy in perfumes. Many people who give Shalimar a bad review will go on to give a perfume that smells like cotton candy in a dumpster (on fire) five stars. While we all have a different sense of smell, I can't help but laugh at that. There are perfumes that belong on sixteen year old girls, and perfumes that belong on grown women. Shalimar is the latter. I've never met a woman wearing it who wasn't pulled together, confident, chic, and accomplished.

on 10/25/2016 6:09:00 AM

I bought this online 90ml for 59.50 euros compared with 130 in the shops, The bottle is very beautiful but it´s not a perfume for the faint hearted as it is not a perfume for anyone under 35. Definatly for an older woman who likes a strong lasting perfume for the cold winter months. Im´, nearly 51 and it´s getting cold so it´s perfect for me. It reminds me a bit of Chanel no 5 or Van Cleef and Arpels First. It´s not at all sweet or floral but is a pefume with a lot of personality.Very Oriental smelling so may not be everyone´s cup of tea. Goes on quite strong but tones down as the day goes on. Is the kind of perfume that has great staying power and can be smelt on clothes or jackets days later. You either love it or hate it. I´m kind of in the middle with this one. Very expensive if you don´t get a discount but online you can find some great deals .

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Exquisite, instantly recognizable and a delight.
I loved it ever since the first time I tried it and now I think it's must-have regardless of age. And just a little bit of it goes a long way.
I understand how some might find this a more "mature" perfume, but that's really not the case.

Popular Fragrances