Guerlain Shalimar

Guerlain Shalimar

3.9

on 5/19/2017 9:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

The first time I smelled Shalimar I was in high school. I was in love. I never smelled something so heavenly. I saved up my after school job paychecks and bought my first bottle. I have loved this ever since. I wear it on special occasions or when I need a feminine pick me up. because it is expensive but worth every penny. A true oriental. I love the amber notes and complexity. It lasts a long time and so does the memory.
I had an old boyfriend that I haven't seen in 30 plus years and he remembered I wore Shalimar after all this time. He loves it. I was the only person he has ever known who wears it. (I wasn't wearing it at the time). It is sophisticated, sultry, and feminine. If you don't like orientals you won't like it. It's like opera you like it or you don't.

Skin: Normal, Deep Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

So this perfume is very unique in its self. As others have said, its either you love it or hate it. its no between. It's grown and sophisticated. It's not typical .its actually very womanly. So if you like Thierry Muglers Angel or Alien perfume than you will really enjoy this. This is like old school Tubu perfume. But if you opt for something a little more sweeter than run far away from this perfume. This perfume is very strong when 1st sprayed on but it does settle and it lingers. It reminds of old Hollywood glam with big sunglasses. This not for the childish, but for the woman who knows how to make an entrance.

on 1/17/2017 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've smelled this once sprayed on a paper strip in a store and went HELL NO. Then I read about it online and went back. I was so fascinated by its history that I was ready to brave a round of perfume-induced headache for it. This time, I sprayed it on my arm, put my sleeve back down, and waited for 20 minutes. This resulted in me having an out of body experience in the middle of a fish market on an otherwise unremarkable Friday afternoon.

Flowery dramatic language aside, this is astounding. I've never before smelled a perfume that was such an incredible mix of cheerful elegance and pure sophistication and was still positively dripping with sex. I managed to continuously talk myself out of buying it (the price is absolutely ridiculous, although not that higher than what I'll usually pay every couple of years for my perfumes - 73 euros for 30ml of eau de parfum) for about two months before caving. I now own this and I get a fresh round of delighted giggles every time I put it on. I don't know anything about perfume notes, so in total layman's terms: this goes on with a burst of sweet spicy lemon and then kinda evens out into vanilla/caramel/smoky leather, but that lemon continues to hang around and keeps all that heavy sweet scents from getting cloying. I'm especially happy that this comes without that raspy sour headache kick that heavy old-fashioned perfumes usually have for me.

If I return back to flowery poetic language: to me, this is writhing around on gorgeous hardwood floors of a beautiful oak-panelled library, dressed in silk and making out with a gorgeous person, while sunlight streams over us through the windows. Absolutely over-the-top ridiculously glorious. It makes me feel like a film star. The bottle is beautiful, even the box is beautiful, so I keep it in the box, it's better to keep perfumes out of the light anyway. This was worth every cent and I'll absolutely buy it again.

EDIT: I'd like to add two things. For one, this is a proper old-fashioned perfume with multiple notes. It's crucial you try it sprayed on your own skin before deciding to purchase; users report a variety of different experiences, because it depends on your own skin chemistry and your own nose which notes will be the most prominent on you. And it is a very strong scent, so you'll either love it or hate it; I think it's impossible to be just 'meh' about it. Secondly, if your frangrance taste tends towards clean, citrusy, soapy scents, don't even bother with Shalimar. You won't like it. A reviewer on NSTPerfumes wrote that it comes from a time when a 'sexy' scent was more closely associated with filth than with freshly showered skin. Obviously, as a perfume Shalimar doesn't smell actually filthy, but it is a very prominent, very particular scent, and impossible to ignore. It's not coy or fresh; it's opulent. I've had my own bottle at home for about a month now, and while I stand by everything I wrote above and still adore the scent of it as much as I did the first time I smelled it properly, it's now clear that it's really not a perfume for everybody. Make sure you try it and do not, I repeat, do not blind-buy this.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I consider many classic perfumes a work of art that anyone can wear, and I have a lot of respect for women who refuse to wear what is trendy in perfumes. Many people who give Shalimar a bad review will go on to give a perfume that smells like cotton candy in a dumpster (on fire) five stars. While we all have a different sense of smell, I can't help but laugh at that. There are perfumes that belong on sixteen year old girls, and perfumes that belong on grown women. Shalimar is the latter. I've never met a woman wearing it who wasn't pulled together, confident, chic, and accomplished.

on 10/25/2016 6:09:00 AM

I bought this online 90ml for 59.50 euros compared with 130 in the shops, The bottle is very beautiful but it´s not a perfume for the faint hearted as it is not a perfume for anyone under 35. Definatly for an older woman who likes a strong lasting perfume for the cold winter months. Im´, nearly 51 and it´s getting cold so it´s perfect for me. It reminds me a bit of Chanel no 5 or Van Cleef and Arpels First. It´s not at all sweet or floral but is a pefume with a lot of personality.Very Oriental smelling so may not be everyone´s cup of tea. Goes on quite strong but tones down as the day goes on. Is the kind of perfume that has great staying power and can be smelt on clothes or jackets days later. You either love it or hate it. I´m kind of in the middle with this one. Very expensive if you don´t get a discount but online you can find some great deals .

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Ahh Shalimar, it feels like you've been around since the dawn of time..your bottle looks classy, timeless, sophisticated and grown-up. I expected the same from the actual fragrance, but instead, I get an immediate headache and the scent hits my nose in a really bad way. I had first sampled Shalimar in my early 20's, and back then, I thought 'old lady perfume'..now, some 25 years later, I decided to try this bugger out again. I mean, it's been around forever, it has to be decent, right..? No. It again hits my nose in a bad way. This is one fragrance I have not grown to love or appreciate, sadly. The scent reminds me of a bubble bath my crazy old aunt used to use back when I was a little kid, oh how the smell of that bubble bath lingered in the entire house for hours afterward. That bubble bath, from what I remember, smelled very much like..pine, maybe..? It was an overly-strong 'clean' smell that was mixed somehow with pine, and that is what Shalimar reminded me of in my 20's, and sadly, in my 40's, that is still what it reminds me of.

But putting that all aside, I still got a tester of this. I figured even though the initial application might be 'too much,' I thought maybe the dry down, etc, might be better. For me, on me, this dries down very intensely. Within an hour my headache is so sharp I can't even concentrate. In looking at the notes on fragrantica, I can see why this just hits me in a bad way. The notes, while it appears there are many, to me they seem to (obviously) clash in a bad way. I just don't get how this has been around forever or why so many women rave about this, but to each their own. And I realize fragrance scents are so personal and subjective, but imho a good fragrance does not induce such horrible headaches, regardless of price point. If I had to guess, I would guess it is the incense (which I am normally okay with), the leather, the cedar mixed with all of the other notes that net this as very unpleasant for me. So, having said that, even if I did like and enjoy this perfume, I would not wear this around groups of people or where I will be around the same people for any length if time. Too many (intense) notes in this one to be a crowd-pleaser and it is quite heavy and strong. I would classify this as a spicy Oriental type of fragrance, and imo, those type of fragrances are ones you either love or hate. Sadly for me, this is not a love. I do like some spicy Orientals, but for me, this just has 'too much going on' to be pleasant. Even writing this review, I swear I can 'smell' it, and I feel a twinge of a headache creeping on..it is powerful stuff. Those who love this, great!! But for me, it is way too strong, way too intense, and just way too much of too much. But if you like it, it will last all day, so there is that!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Exquisite, instantly recognizable and a delight.
I loved it ever since the first time I tried it and now I think it's must-have regardless of age. And just a little bit of it goes a long way.
I understand how some might find this a more "mature" perfume, but that's really not the case.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I saw Guerlain Shalimar Eau de Cologne as Walmart for $21 a couple weeks ago, but decided not to buy it because every time I tried the parfum, the smoky note would dominate and I never got to enjoy the majestic, ethereal quality that so many others have come to fall in love with.

But the other night I couldn't sleep, and something told me to get back up and go to Walmart (this particular location is about 30 minutes away- yes, I know I'm crazy!), and see if they still have anymore of the Shalimar Eau de Colognes on clearance.

So I did, and I got the very last one. It must have been a tiny form of Divine Providence.

As soon as I got back in my car I immediately opened the box and sprayed some on my arm. I still felt a bit overwhelmed by the smoky note, though thankfully less so than with the parfum.

I was disappointed and didn't know what on earth would possess me to make such a rash decision to drive so far in the rain, and so late at night for a perfume I couldn't love.

But then...

About 30 minutes went by, and the smoky note started to dissipate, which I was grateful for. Who wants to smell like burning cedar? Certainly not me, thanks.

As the minutes ticked by, something about the scent became like a magnet; I couldn't stop sniffing my arm. About an hour or so later I fell back asleep, only to have the sweet scent of (cabbage patch dolls? what is that cute smell??!) awaken me from a dream and made me smile.

I get it now. It's stunning. There's no other word to describe it, and now I'm ready to get the parfum. I'm officially in love with Guerlain. Next I'll try L'Heure Bleue.

on 12/13/2015 5:56:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I've tried Shalimar many times before and always hated it. I don't know if it has to do with my age, but now I absolutely adore it.

I was reintroduced to Shalimar after receiving it as part of a Guerlain sample pack. There was something about the smell of Shalimar that had me going back to sniff my arm over and over. I knew it was a good match for me when I received compliments at work, or questions of 'what are you wearing? Is that a new shampoo? I gotta know what that is' from co-workers, both men and women.

Plenty has been said here on Shalimar, both good and bad and I'm not sure what I can truly add to the reviews here.

My advice with wearing this would be not to over do it. It has a long life when wearing and although it might be a bit faint as the day goes on, it improves with the day.

I'm always into orientals, so I knew Shalimar was around. I didn't dare to wear it. I need to deserve to wear an iconic perfume like this one. This isn't your regular perfume that you buy after one sniff at the counter. So I waited, had a sample and smelled it once and while. For a long time I found it too strong. I eventually fell for the other version: Shalimar Souffle de Parfum. This one was lighter, more wearable and more suiteable for hot summer. But the original never left my mind. After a few days of wearing the Souffle, I knew I needed the original. I tried the very last bit of the sample I had and knew it was time... By the age of 30 a woman needs to have found her signature scent and wear it for the next 30. I have finally found mine. The sharpness of the bergamot, the beauty of the Jasmin and Rose notes, the mystery of inscence and the warmness of the vanilla. It embodies me: sharp, beautiful, mysterious and warm. With Shalimar I started my own neverending story.

Popular Fragrances