GUERLAIN Shalimar

GUERLAIN Shalimar

3.9

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I've recently gotten rid of all of my other perfumes and am focusing on only collecting Guerlain. Shalimar was one that I was sure I was NOT going to love. It just seemed so old lady-ish based on reviews Ive read. However, I decided to give it a try and now I LOVE it.

On first spray and wet there is something so strong that I dont like: maybe the leathery notes. I dont get the citrus at all in this.

But within an hour and on the dry down this becomes this soft, powdery scent. It's like a warming resin incense. It makes me think of temples I visited in Asia.

The dry down keeps changing, first its warm vanilla, than its this firey fesin and ends in a bouquet of flowers.

I defnitely get the amber, vanilla and tonka bean in this.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have this in all versions (Parfum, EDP, and EDT) except EDC (which is also beautiful). This is truly a wonderful scent. You need to give it a chance though to develop. I find depending on what concentration you have, it can go many ways. The opening is harsh to me, with the bergamot so sharp. Out of the three, the EDT is my favorite. It has a warm character, and the dry down is to die for. The EDP has a lot more leather in it, and seems harsh, but give it time and it's a beautiful scent. You really need to give Shalimar a chance to develop, it's completely different from the opening. You will be rewarded with a beautiful warm powdery scent that has hints of vanilla. This is a classic for all these years for good reason. If you aren't sure, definitely give the EDT a try.

Shalimar is one of a kind and she is BEAUTIFUL. But you know that ... unless you tried the EDP and got the burned rubber note that starts ( I am pretty sure it is the initial entrance of the “leather “ note ) and will DISAPPEAR if you are patient . Yes, it is very bad for a brief few seconds . I find it dissipates and the other notes prevail to perfection. Others may have a different experience, but I do not regret buying the EDP .

If you want to wear Shalimar and enjoy a soft version without the leather or irritating note of the EDP ( that vanishes when I wear it ) you can purchase the EDT . It is a little more tame, but a very lovely oriental that will set you apart from all those girls basking in candied marshmallow and praline scents that are on every perfume counter competing for the highest sugar content with slinky celebrities .

Personally I love Shalimar in all versions and own three EDT, EDP, and Eau De Shalimar , a recent flanker. Eau De Shalimar is captivating ( I bought the EDP in that one ) and makes my heart melt . It is soft, has a lemon or slight citrus background and is much more mellow. However, I clearly smell the basic DNA of Shalimar in this ethereal beauty .

If you have ever been disappointed in Shalimar , try the other versions . When I wear any form of Shalimar I am thankful such a classic was formulated and has endured for me to enjoy .

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

As much as I love the idea and history of Guerlain's classic scents, none of their fragrances really work well with my body chemistry. Still, when I found a bottle of this - the 50 ml spray bottle that sells for $122 in Canada - for under $70 at Costco, I grabbed it with both hands! The bottle is gorgeous - absolutely gorgeous - and I do really like the scent but it's not a "natural" for me. But for this time of year - as autumn, the cooler temps and "sweater weather" arrive, Shalimar suits the season. I'm glad I got it. Every year, in preparation for Xmas, Costco gets an assortment of high end fragrances and you never know what you will find but I've found some real treasures there over the years and always for amazing prices.

Shalimar...
Tonka Bean
Vanilla
Sprayed this on...Powdery,Vanilla,Flowers...

on 2/3/2018 7:08:00 PM

I am so sorry but this is a no no for me. Smells of baby powder and on my skin stays barely an hour. Is this really the most loved perfume around? 😱

I fell in love with Shalimar Parfum Initial first which I think allowed me to love and appreciate Shalimar. At first I just thought it wouldn’t be for me. But how wrong was I. I kept having a hard time getting over the leather note. But as I wore this I noticed such wonderful scents like incense and vanilla. I also love the citrus in Shalimar I think they smell so good. But as this fragrance develops on my skin it just kept getting better and better. I could smell floral but what I love most about this is the drydown. On my skin this smells like heaven! The sandalwood and tonka mixed with the vanilla and incense just blew my mind. I can’t believe this has been around for so long because yes it does smell vintage but at the same time there’s something timeless about it that makes it current.

I do not think this is an old lady scent and I hate that term so much. I think if you like something and it makes you happy comments like that just don’t matter. This perfume is one of my favorites the sillage and longevity are excellent I spray this and I can still smell it the next day as a wonderful skin scent. This is a number one fragrance for a lot of reasons and I’m so happy I enjoy it as well. I think it smells amazing. My signature is Parfum Initial but I will wear this on special occasions or just when I want to smell a piece of history. My sig other loves this on me as well. Amazing perfume I would love to get a vintage bottle or the parfum. Love!

Update: 2/12/18
I purchased 2 bottles of the extrait a 1/4 ounce from the 80’s and a 1/3 ounce from from what I can date the 60’s or 70’s. They smell insanely gorgeous I also got a small old flacon with the edc and I kid you not it’s stronger than my 2012 edp! And what I paid for the vintage edc was so reasonable so look into it especially the watch flacon with the glass stopper and red dot. It smells sooo good! The extrait is insanely bergamot heaven and I can now see why some are not happy with the edp of today. It’s very different imo. On me the drydown is spicy, musky incense with the sweet myrrh or opoponax. The top note bergamot is so strong in the vintage parfum so I recommend it.

on 12/2/2017 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Shalimar has a bit of a history in my family. I grew up with my paternal grandmother wearing this lovely scent and I have been told that my great grandmother also used to wear it as well. It was given to her as a gift from my great grandfather when he returned from Paris after WWII.

History aside, this is a lovely perfume. It is a warm winter scent with soft amber notes and rich vanilla. Iris and jasmine are noticeable as well. I have tried Chanel No.5 in the past, which is too strong and soapy smelling for my personal tastes, so this scent provides a good balance - the warmness and comfort of a winter scent with the soft addition of vanilla. I would describe this scent as mature but delicately feminine. It's not fruity or floral or girlish, but rather a perfume that exudes a certain elegance and class. That being said, I definitely don't think that it is an "old lady perfume" as others have expressed. I'm 20 and I purchased the Eau de Toilette, which I think is a very pretty and wearable scent for younger people. Or it could just be that it has something to do with me being a bit of an old soul ;)

on 9/22/2017 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Hands down and without hesitation, Shalimar is THE paramount of perfumes; the single greatest fragrance ever created.

on 7/21/2017 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Coarse

I have no idea how to review something like Shalimar. It isn't the kind of thing you can tiptoe around, because it's a pretty well-covered topic and anything you say about it is probably out there somewhere, lurking in a pesky corner of the Internet waiting to be read by anyone who digs it up. But, BUT BUT BUT, I can't just pass up the opportunity to wax lyrical about one of my new loves. Shalimar. I will probably sound like a perfume idiot; I will probably make purfume non-idiots laugh. Probably out loud, rolling on the floor, yadda yadda yadda. But who cares. It's Shalimar we're talking about. So here I go.

When I first heard about Shalimar, I thought it fitted me to the core - musky, a little bit oriental, kind-of-slightly balsamic, with a trail of gourmand vanilla following after it. Well-rounded, too - and vintage. And as I'd been looking for a perfume to wear (for life, not just occasionally - I live in Paris and people here tend to pick a scent and wear it until they're inside their coffins - and probably even then, too) I thought I'd consider Shalimar. I smelled it at the shop and thought, "Hmm...a bit old lady. A bit acidic, a bit too spicy, a bit too warm..." And then I left it for a while, lingering on my forearm. Then I sniffed it again. And again. And again and again and again and again and then I bought the biggest bottle they had. I jumped into the pool of Shalimar and drowned straight away. I drowned and went to heaven.
Shalimar, from a total non-pro, non-expert, non-fancy-schmancy perspective, is one of those perfumes you have to wait to appreciate. It starts off with a very acidic citrus hit (that's the bergamot) and then a subtle spice overtone emerges like an image fade-in. Just subtly - slightly aromatic, warm and yet not stifling, a bit leathery, kind of smoky, and elegant. It lingers and makes way for a little burst of chilli. Then, as it fades and makes way for the dry-down (which, I'll mention now before I forget, lasts all day and much of the night), a beautiful bouquet of vanilla chimes in and blends with the rest of the notes. It's the kind of scent a beautiful woman with a glorious silk scarf might have - mysterious but open, warm but aloof, gentle but not saccharine, kind but not gushing.
On a pyramidal scale, I'd say that the top note is bergamot (citrussy, leaning towards fresh-floral but still hitting oriental), the mid note is spice ( a little aniseedy, piquant, pepperish with a warm glow of tonka, kind of like a very expertly baked fruit cake, but not as sweet), and the bottom notes are vanilla and a second, purer tincture of tonka (powdery but clear, warm, fresh, techically not gourmand but certainly approaching it).

To wind up this rambling jibber, I'll just say that Shalimar is the most beautiful fragrance I have ever worn or smelled. Provided Guerlain continue to make the stuff (please do, Guerlain! Pretty please) I think I can safely say that I will wear it happily for the rest of my life. It isn't old ladyish, and it isn't acidic. What it is, to me, is a beautiful vintage scent with a plethora of complex tones, and to appreciate it fully, you have to wait and listen and allow it to transport you on a journey from the beginning of the story to the end.