Maybelline New York Designer Chocolates Quad

Maybelline Eyeshadow Quad - Designer chocolatesEnter TitleEnter Title

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I did the two eye test again, which is basically primer on both eyes (Ruby Kisses usually), old product on one lid (in this instance, W&W's "Naked Truth") and comparison product on the other.

There are four shades in this quad. Clockwise from top left, beigy-taupe-y, dusky rose, mocha-ish, cream-ish. They all have some shimmer.

The only "meh" shade was the greyish-beigy-taupish. It went on the lid just fine. The rose (which is most assuredly dusky) is lovely and sits very nicely in the crease. Mocha filled out the outer corner, and the highlighter shade was fine. What surprised me was the staying power. After 5 hours, the W&W was a smidge creasyfied. The Maybelline quad suffered no such indignity.

(Still on my lids, still no crease, and I'm now at 7 hours plus; I've been to the living room gym, and cooked dinner during this time).

It's not a quad that's going to break records or clear tall buildings in a single leap but it does its job very nicely, blending well and actually demonstrating decent pigment. At that price point ($3 from Amazon) you can't go wrong.

Definitely one of the better drugstore nudes.

(Eyeshadows. Nude eyeshadows. I cannot confirm or deny any other type of nude shenanigans which may or may not have happened down at the local Rite-Aid)

on 6/10/2013 9:05:00 AM

The packaging is different then it is in the picture now. The crease color is small and when you try to get any on a brush it gets all over the other colors.
Also all of the colors are crazy unpigmented! I bought this bc the crease color was so pretty and it does not even show up at all on my lid.

on 7/30/2012 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this palette! I've been reaching for it over my Urban Decay Naked2. I'm not seeing any problems with fading or low color pay off with these shadows, with the exception of the lid shade, which is a little chalky. I've been applying the CG Intense Shadow Blast in the beige on my lid prior to application, and that might be helping with the longevity.

By far, the pinky-burgundy/cranberry (crease) shade makes this quad stand out. I love brown and pinks/plums/burgundies together. That color combo makes my eye color pop.

My only complaint is that the packaging has changed. The base shade portion is pretty large, the lid and crease shades are small rectangles, and the "liner" shade (I use it in the outer corner) is long and skinny. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I will go through the crease color quickly because I will be using this with other shadows, too.

These eyeshadows are a great everyday, even fall look. They are esay to use because they tell you where to put them.The packaging is a slight problem because the case is big in the middle and thin on the ends so it rocks and slides in my makeup drawers. The only problem i have is that the lid color is not dark enough and I have pale skin, but I would still recomend this because they are great and I use it all the time.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

OK, so in general it is a very pretty quad. I have used it for several years and find it to go well with my skin tone and green/ hazel eyes. The best way I've found to use it is to use the crease (rose) as my lid shade and the brown in my crease. I find that the shade that is labeled for lid disappears on me and can look chalky. Be cautious of the highlight as it can "flash" brightly in pictures. These aren't the best quality but also not bad for being drugstore shadow. I have found that they work better with a good primer. Overall it is a good buy for the price and I will prob repurchase when I hit pan.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

For me this quad of colors just does not work. I really like the crease color, but I find that that these shadows lack pigmentation and begin to fade shortly after applying even with an eyeshadow primer. The texture is kind of powdery as well, and I end up with shimmer all under my eye after I am done applying them.
It is okay for a subtle daytime look so I do use it occasionally for work but I would not repurchase.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

My go-to everyday, HG eyeshadow palette. I'm a huge believer in the natural look because a lot of color can look garish on my pale, cool-toned skin. Also, I love ANY makeup that has a foodie name, so of course I was attracted to this quad. Designer Chocolates has a beige color (lid), a shimmery rosy brown (crease), a neutral milk chocolate brown (outer-v) and a bone white color (brow). When used all together, it creates a stunning look. However, on most days I just use the beige and the chocolate brown all over the crease and outer-v to create a subtle, yet sexy chocolate brown eye. I WOULD USE A PRIMER for these shadows, it builds up their intensity and makes them blend like butter. They last all day long on me with Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I would repurchase over and over again.

on 7/2/2009 2:59:00 AM

Great quad. The white can be used for brow bone, inner corner and as cheek highlight. The light brown very comparable to MAC great everyday color small shimmer, brown matte can be placed in crease for night look. Pinky color not that great can make eyes look red and make you look sick! but Overall, 3 great colors. Instructions on back on how to create the "ideal" look, kinda cute that they put it there.

I love the shimmery burgundy and beige that come with this- the brown is ok and the nude is actually pretty good. Its a good deal for the price! Could be a bit more pigmented. Great colors!

on 1/27/2009 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I won this eyeshadow quad in a maybelline competition here in Australia so i can't really complain about the price of it as i still have not had to repurchase. But i must say that this is a quad which i just keep coming back to, great for an everyday look. I think the pigmentation is very weak, and i find it does disappear during the hours after application but i just love the colors, and the way they go with one another. I agree with others its a great quad for those who are just beginning to experiment with makeup.