Maybelline New York Designer Chocolates Quad

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I did the two eye test again, which is basically primer on both eyes (Ruby Kisses usually), old product on one lid (in this instance, W&W's "Naked Truth") and comparison product on the other.

There are four shades in this quad. Clockwise from top left, beigy-taupe-y, dusky rose, mocha-ish, cream-ish. They all have some shimmer.

The only "meh" shade was the greyish-beigy-taupish. It went on the lid just fine. The rose (which is most assuredly dusky) is lovely and sits very nicely in the crease. Mocha filled out the outer corner, and the highlighter shade was fine. What surprised me was the staying power. After 5 hours, the W&W was a smidge creasyfied. The Maybelline quad suffered no such indignity.

(Still on my lids, still no crease, and I'm now at 7 hours plus; I've been to the living room gym, and cooked dinner during this time).

It's not a quad that's going to break records or clear tall buildings in a single leap but it does its job very nicely, blending well and actually demonstrating decent pigment. At that price point ($3 from Amazon) you can't go wrong.

Definitely one of the better drugstore nudes.

(Eyeshadows. Nude eyeshadows. I cannot confirm or deny any other type of nude shenanigans which may or may not have happened down at the local Rite-Aid)

on 10/14/2012 7:41:00 PM

I purchased the newer version of this quad (long liner pan, large base pan, smaller eyelid/crease pans) and I have noticed that the pigmentation in the newer versions of this quad are a bit chalkier and lackluster compared to the formulas of the version before (all pans were the same size). I have not tried the earlier version of Designer Chocolates though so old/new versions aside, I found this product to be so-so.

In their pans the colors for Designer Chocolates appears intense and are beautifully coordinated, but on application the pigment is chalky and dry, making them difficult to lift from their pans and even more difficult to build the intensity on the eyelids. Granted, Designer Chocolates is intended to look natural so this is probably why the pigmentation is so sheer. But I really appreciate the rosy-pink crease color as this significantly brings warmth to the eyes that's actually noticeable. I recommend this be worn with a primer, as otherwise you will probably not notice any color.

This is a great starter palette for beginners; you can't mess up. It's also a good everyday quad for day wear and for office looks, and it's very affordable at $4$5. I personally would not repurchase this as I prefer stronger pigmentation and easier application. I am absolutely in love with Maybelline's Eye Studio Color Plush Quads, which are twice the price but softer/silkier in texture and better pigmentation, and with their Eye Studio Color Tattoos for their waterproof formula and shade intensity. But for those who just need the bare basics at an affordable price, Expert Wear quads are good enough.

on 7/30/2012 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this palette! I've been reaching for it over my Urban Decay Naked2. I'm not seeing any problems with fading or low color pay off with these shadows, with the exception of the lid shade, which is a little chalky. I've been applying the CG Intense Shadow Blast in the beige on my lid prior to application, and that might be helping with the longevity.

By far, the pinky-burgundy/cranberry (crease) shade makes this quad stand out. I love brown and pinks/plums/burgundies together. That color combo makes my eye color pop.

My only complaint is that the packaging has changed. The base shade portion is pretty large, the lid and crease shades are small rectangles, and the "liner" shade (I use it in the outer corner) is long and skinny. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I will go through the crease color quickly because I will be using this with other shadows, too.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

OK, so in general it is a very pretty quad. I have used it for several years and find it to go well with my skin tone and green/ hazel eyes. The best way I've found to use it is to use the crease (rose) as my lid shade and the brown in my crease. I find that the shade that is labeled for lid disappears on me and can look chalky. Be cautious of the highlight as it can "flash" brightly in pictures. These aren't the best quality but also not bad for being drugstore shadow. I have found that they work better with a good primer. Overall it is a good buy for the price and I will prob repurchase when I hit pan.

on 1/12/2011 10:09:00 PM

I was surprised by the lack of pigmentation I found in the crease shade. It is a beautiful rosy brown, but it doesn't come off very strong. While the color it does show on my lids is a nice mauvey color, it's not what the quad is advertising. As with most of the Maybelline quads, the lid and outer corner shades are lovely and have fantastic pigmentation. I plan to wear these every day! The highlight color seems misplaced, as it's a pearly white. I would have prefered a shimmery cream or peach, but maybe they were trying to make it white chocolate? Either way, it doesn't blend well with the lovely browns. The packaging is fantastic, the hinge keeps the lid in position, and the compact is slim and sleek. A nice quad, but don't expect to wear it all at the same time.

on 12/19/2010 1:37:00 AM

I really enjoy this quad, the colours complement each other well and they can provide either a neutral or dramatic look.

If you're hoping to achieve a more dramatic look using the dark brown a primer is definitely needed. The crease burgundy barely shows without one.

I love how this looks on me, but I can't rate it any higher as I can only achieve the look with the help of other products.

on 8/21/2010 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I love the colors of this quad and how well they complement each other. The only problem is that they aren't very pigmented and fade rather quickly, even with primer. The pink one intended as a crease color is really pretty itself but it's tricky to apply, at least for me. It can look way too shimmery and obvious if you're not careful. The other three shades have a really nice matte finish with just a hint of sparkle. It would be nice if they had toned down the pink one as well. Otherwise, I do like it for the colors and use it often. It just leaves a lot to be desired.

on 1/29/2010 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love the colors in this palette, and how well-coordinated they are. However, I am getting hardly any pigmentation, and some creasing even with primer. I was surprised that the MUA reviews for this product are as high as they are. I'll still continue to wear them though, I really do love the colors. Maybe I would get better results applying wet.

on 11/22/2009 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

The colors do not show up on my skin even with a primer. My eyes look tried with the thin color and there's lots of fallout. I really can't believe I paid for this.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I love this eye shadow quad even though it's the only Maybelline quad that I've ever owned. I love how the back of the quad gives you directions on where to apply the eye shadow as well as the different looks you can make. I love the white and dark brown eye shadow because they work really well with my skin tone. I always use the white as my highlight and the dark brown for my outer corner. The purplish crease color is okay and the beige lid color hardly shows when I apply it, which is only the downside of the quad. But overall, I think this quad is great for everyday use esp. the brow bone and outer corner eye shadow.