4.3

Reviews

2.0

5 months ago

Don't understand the hype of this one. On my NC35 olive skin it just looks blah

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Medium

HairBrunette

8 months ago

This is a boring not so great tooth yellowing light brown on me, but I wear with certain warm toned makeup looks. Nw20-30 but can fake tan into the nc40 range. Have a mini and would not repurchase. Do not understand the allure at all.

About reviewer (389 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

EyesHazel

from

9 months ago

Velvet Teddy is hard lipstick to review because this is one of those shades that depending on your lip tone, undertone, etc, it can look drastically different from person to person. The ones that seem to love it get a soft MLBB shade. Not too warm, not too cool. Other people when they put it on it can look almost like cooler toned mauve, perhaps ashy. Now when I put it on with my deep winter complexion, nw20 neutral-ish to cool skin, 3n hair & brown hazel eyes, it can skew a bit orangey on me. Every time I tried this lippie when I was in my cooler toned makeup phase (think MAC Well Dressed, NARS Sin, & cooler toned eye shadow shades) Velvet Teddy ALWAYS looked super orangey on me. But fast forward to now, new warmer climate, I now live in the warmer to neutral MAC Melba blush instead of my usual cool toned blushes, & my eye makeup is not as cool toned (think ABH Soft Glam, MAC Grain & Arena). Now when I wear Velvet Teddy with these changes, it comes off a bit closer (less orangey) to how it wears on those warmer toned complexions where it looks less orangey brown and more MLBB. Not quite as soft and pretty like what you see in these pics that are shared at the top of the review though. Enough on the color. As for wear, when you first put it on well cared for lips, the texture is lovely. It can get a bit dry looking and if you have a really hard time with matte lips, this will be problematic too. I can't wear really dry hard mattes or liquid lipstick very well. Velvet Teddy is way better than those options on me. But after a few hours, this could use a freshing up & I could definitely use a lip balm. It is your average matte lipstick (not the worst, not the best).

About reviewer (1199 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

2.0

9 months ago

Not a fan of this AT ALL. I about a NC-35 but can range for NC 30 to NC40, very olive/gold undertones. This lipstick looks muddy on me & seems to bring out my undereye shadows. I tried to like it and when topped with a pinky gloss it's tolerable. The texture is ok, not great not terrible. Much darker on than I expected. My advise- try before you buy!

About reviewer (69 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOther, Other

HairBlond

EyesGreen

9 months ago

Okay listen, I know this crazy popular lipstick sees a huge hype around it but also some harsh harsh critics, and I agree it's definitely not the most universally flattering shade there is as people praise it to be but for me, I love it. Definitely don't follow the adoration too hard and do your research and don't blindly buy it purely out of hype. I think it's very pretty... ON ME!! It's a beauty on my lips! I'm usually particularly picky with my lipstick colours looking good on me and this shade is neither too dark nor light for me. If you're similar to my skin tone (NC25) it most likely will look great in that colour range and tone, which is probably where it got its hype. It's nice but I also agree with the colour looking terrible on other skin colours and tones, especially non-warm skin tones. Regarding the formula, I do think that it is a bit drying on the lips, I experience a moderate amount of tugging if I'm putting it on my bare lips. Other popular lipsticks I've used like NARS or Bite Beauty I've had no problem; those formulas are very creamy. It is shapeshift-y, I actually think lighting conditions change the look of this more than skin and lip tone. It is a stunner to use as a subtle lip colour, I can dab some on and blend with my fingers, or even easier, smudge it around with my mouth. I also wish the packaging was magnetized, but the construction is solid. I pair it with the lip liner Whirl which I reckon is a better fit and (actually formula quality too!) than Subculture (a warm pink-peach) which is what MAC recommends on their website, I also think that Whirl is a more versatile and universal shade especially if you're not yellow-toned. Test out Whirl out if you hated Subculture's colour, another MAC lip colour that is hailed and also harshly critiqued like Velvet Teddy. Overall, it's a fave and an unfortunate victim to hype, I also wish it had a creamier consistency, but it's still a beauty which I see myself using for a long time!

About reviewer (29 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

EyesBlack

9 months ago

I am updating my review to say that I perhaps unfairly maligned this shade of lipstick because I bought it in June, and despite wearing sunscreen, I do get a bit of color in my skin. Now it’s December and I’m a whiter shade of pale, and Velvet Teddy looks just fine on me. I still am not a huge fan of matte lipsticks, so I just use a bit of lip balm over the top and I’m good to go. It’s also really long-lasting, another plus.

About reviewer (68 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

EyesBlue

from

10 months ago

I bought MAC Velvet Teddy in the mini size tube to try out and I’m glad that I didn’t waste my money on the full size lipstick. I have a cool, light skin tone ( NW22 ) and this color shade looks drab and unflattering on lips. If I mix it with a pink shade I might be able to wear it as a nude, but alone it drains all the color out if my face. I do like most of the MAC lipsticks I have but not this particular color shade.

About reviewer (62 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Medium

10 months ago

The color is intense. I expected it to be more mat and to stay longer on my lips. It is buttery and comfortable but for me it's not long wearing as it is claimed to be. If you don't eat, drink or smoke it will last longer, but you know... it's not possible :D

About reviewer (29 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

a year ago

Great "my lips but better" colour, stays put throughout the day provided you don't eat or drink. A little drying, but to be expected with a matte formula. Still comfortable to wear, though. Very opaque.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinOily, Fair

HairBrunette

a year ago

The one stop nude for me. I must say I only bought it because of the trend however it is the best to wear on its own or as a combo with other lip products. It lasts until you eat - not the most long staying on power possessing lipstick.

About reviewer (12 reviews)

Age25-29