MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick - Velvet Teddy

MAC Cosmetics Matte Lipstick - Velvet Teddy

4.3

Octyldodecanol, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Silica, Tricaprylyl Citrate, Ozokerite, Isononyl Isononanoate, Paraffin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Microcrystalline Wax\Cera Microcristallina\Cire Microcristalline, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax\Cera Carnauba\Cire De Carnauba, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Vanillin, Acrylates Copolymer, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Stearyl Stearoyl Stearate, [+/-Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine, Red 6, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 21 Lake, Red 28 Lake, Red 30 Lake, Red 33 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake]

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is, colour wise, my FAVOURITE Mac lipstick. It is my first choice whenever I don’t have a particular colour in mind or am not wearing makeup aside from lipstick. I love the way it looks on my lips and it does have a reasonable lasting power, I’d say, (for me anyway) at least two or so hours, (more if applied with a good lip liner, and if you’re not eating or something that would affect your lips.) It is slightly drying being a matte, but I love the matte look, and having dry lips to begin with, I barely notice my lips being much drier than they are to begin with. Well worth it for the colour in my opinion!

I know everyone loves this brand but this lipstick did nothing for me. Color wise and how long it lasted was disappointing

It's such a beautiful colour, definitely MLBB but I do think that the formula on me is a bit drying on the lips. Other popular lipsticks I've used like NARS I've had no problem; those formulas are very creamy but with but this one is a hard time to use when my lips are dry as application forces me to try harder to put it on. Nonetheless it's such a stunning colour and is great to use as a subtle lip colour when I like to just tap a bit onto my lip. The packaging is nothing short of great, it looks chic and classic as expected of MAC and feels sturdy.

UPDATE 26/03/2019: I wore Velvet Teddy today. I have to change my mind. It looks very lovely but I suspect the light plays an important role how Velvet Teddy looks on the lips (warm/neutral/cold or bright/darker light). It was cloudy today, no sunshine, maybe that's the reason why I want to buy a backup right now. I'll keep 4 lips as my rating til I can be sure that my older self was blind or that Velvet Teddy needs a light that brings out the beauty in this shade. OLD REVIEW: Many people love Velvet Teddy, one of many MAC lipsticks made famous by Kylie Jenners nude lip trend. On others, it looks like the perfect MLBB nude lipstick color. While on me, it looks more brownish which I didn't expect. I'm not a fan of brown lipsticks, there are a few exceptions which I like but Velvet Teddy looks not great on my lips. If you struggle with this shade, too, then try Brave, Modesty or Mehr as alternative lipsticks. With these nude shades, you don't need to worry what they will look like on your lips (yes, Velvet Teddy looks different on many people).

on 2/26/2019 11:12:00 AM

This is one of MAC's Best selling shades.

This looks very natural on my lips and I will continue to buy over and over.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I usually tend to adore MAC lipsticks, it's rare for me to only just 'like' but I'll go through the reasons why... Firstly the good: Velvet Teddy is a perfect 'nude' shade, it's fairly long-wearing, highly pigmented and not too drying on my lips, despite it being a matte lipstick (keep in mind however I always use a lip scrub and balm before applying). But oddly once applied it morphs into more of a muted brown with less pink compared to how it looks in online pictures or when you take it out of its packaging. Also it does appear different in different lighting conditions - for example outside in daylight it looks amazing, whilst indoors it doesn't look anywhere near as good. An odyssey for sure but I like how this shade looks on me overall and now that I'm almost 3/4 way through mine, I will be repurchasing once it runs out.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(As I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, I thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective. I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Ingrown Hair Treatment - 'Priva Shave' - Post Hair Removal Treatment
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 2/6/2019 2:24:00 PM

Really pretty lipstick. Moisturizing and good quality. The colour is very flattering and doesnt make you look like a corpse like other brownish lipsticks do. Its my second favorite mac lipstick (after faux). I have a little bit left and i cherish it like a treasure haha

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Favourite of many people for a good reason. I use it with Stripdown lipliner and sometimes I dapa bit of Nymphette lipgloss in the center of my lips. It’s not too drying (it’s a bit but that’s expectable as it is a mat) and it’s super longwearing.

on 1/2/2019 6:01:00 AM

Nice creamy lipstick, stays on for hours. For a nude I do feel like this stands out, it has a nice 90s vibe which I love. I do feel like it dries out my lips a little bit, I find myself using lip balm before and after wearing this.

Velvet Teddy has been my number one favorite lipstick for a long time !
Although now I prefer lighter nude shades for daytime (Jubilee and Honeylove), I still rely on Velvet Teddy for a darker nude, more defined lips for a night out. (Although it is not very dark compared with other shades like Taupe or Whirl)
It is a pink beige that's so flattering ! I absolutely love it. I think it compliments a whole variety of skintones.
I love that it is matte and has a great staying power ! And the smell of MAC's matte lipsticks is lovely.