NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon Girl
Enter TitleVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlVelvet Matte Lip Pencil - Dragon GirlNars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.6

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in "Dragon girl" is a vibrant, blue based red lip color in the form of a pencil/crayon, which leaves a smooth and very pigmented finish! Since the texture is quite dry and very matte, I recommend exfoliating and moisturizing lips well before applying (but really...that goes for any lipcolor in any shape or form). I would also recommend applying the product on top of a non-greasy base (meaning - not DIRECTLY applied on top of lip balm, vaseline etc) for maximum staying power. If used with a thin layer of (e.g. mattifying) powder as a base/regular lip primer, it applies evenly and stays put with no smudging for hours! The texture is what I would call "non-creamy" but the product applies just as well as a regular creamy lipstick, it is non-drying on the lips and has a unique velvety matte finish which looks absolutely flawless after just one application. Also, this color is just as pigmented as any given Nars or MAC lipstick out there

I find that the deep, vibrant red color is flattering for all skin tones and I personally (olive skin tone) find this color easier to pull off than the warmer, orange-based red color of the Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in "Red Square". Definitely my favorite red lip color along with MAC's Lady Danger (closer to the color of "Red Square" but a creamy lipstick and much brighter!) and Ruby Woo - and I think all three products are must-haves for any fan of red lipstick!

on 3/20/2014 8:22:00 AM

Everytime I wear this I get several compliments with everyone always asking me what I've got on my lips! Extremely long wearing, it's rarely leaves a print on my wine glass, where my other friends are constantly topping their lipstick I never have to when I'm wearing this. Really recommend using Chapstick 15mins before applying dragon girl and using a lipliner for the precise application (I use MAC cherry). Hate thing I don't like is the pencil formula, however this will not stop me buying in the future

on 12/2/2008 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

For reference: I'm a Latina, middle-aged, NC44 coloring--

This is a gorgeous color on me. A cooler toned red, vibrant and very glamourous. I like the velvet matte's dense and smooth texture. Someone mentioned it tends to run, and yes, it does. If this was less expensive (come on, 24 bucks???) and didn't run, it would get five lippies for the faboo color and easy application.

Very flattering to my olive med-dark tone. Has a bit of a graying effect on teeth, I note.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

The chubby pencil is great for applying colour with precision (with lipsticks, I always have to use a brush). Dragon Girl is a vibrant cherry red and is gorgeous for brightening up the face. I have very dry lips but surprisingly, for a matte pencil, I do not finding it drying at all (I do apply a bit of lip balm beforehand). And the staying power is much better than other lipsticks I've tried (e.g. Chanel Coco Rouge).

on 4/4/2014 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This colour is a-ma-zing! I also think this 'pencil-idea' is very clever, because now you're able to work very precise. Still, I do think it is a bit drying, but that is sincerely the only minus point. For reference, I am a NC 25, darkbrown hair and green eyes!

on 1/9/2014 7:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Very pretty on my currently NC20 skin (or in summer, NC25-30). Definitely adds a bright pop of colour, and looks especially good with minimal/natural eye make-up or a cat-eye. I love the matte finish, which isn't drying at all. I ended up buying a few more NARS Velvet Matte pencils and they are all outstanding, and now staples in my make-up kit.

Love it - easy to reapply when/if needed throughout the day, doesn't feather, very pigmented, creamy and non-sticky. I like the pencil form because it is easier to travel with and apply and not as messy as liquids or regular lipstick. Perfection!

on 6/11/2012 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I love this lip pencil because although it is a matte finish, it is not at all drying and therefore comfortable to wear. However, it is better to use a balm as well to better preserve moisture and wear time. Speaking of which, it lasted and lasted and had very low transferability. It wouldn't budge except during meals.

The only downside is the packaging. The lid won't stay on the pencil very well, and the fact that the pencil requires sharpening means that an already small product will have to be partially wasted.

I loved the brightness of this color. Dragon Girl is a vibrant pink-red on my lips, which is a nice pop. I find it absolutely gorgeous!

on 1/2/2008 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

LOVE THIS COLOR!!! I use this when i want that bright blue-based gwen stefani red lip. The texture is divine....just make sure ur lips are moisturized when u wear this. Its not too matte or drying, especially when i have a lil bit of my caudalie lip conditioner underneath. I have to use a lipliner when i wear this or else it bleeds so i took one lippie off for that. But an otherwise great product!

on 6/2/2012 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Can we talk about LOVE? I really, truely, love this lip pencil. First, it is the perfect orangey red shade for my NC30 (sometimes 40) skin tone. And although it's a matte, it isn't overly drying. I also love that since its a chubby stick it doubles as a lipstick and liner so quick and easy, especially for travel or a night out...cuts down on product. I have literally 50 tubes of red lipstick and this....this is my favorite. Sometimes I will add a clear gloss over top for more of a pin-up look but I don't ever DARE to mess with the color by adding a tinted gloss. IMO, this shade looks better on cool or yellow skintones. If you're more a warm or pink, please check out Cruella. Another beautiful shade but much more flattering on warm skin :)

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Beautiful color. One of my favs. Bright cherry red. This is a true matte which I'm really happy about. Usually when a product is labeled as matte I'm skeptical, cause a lot of the time it turns out to be semi-matte with a sheen to it. This has the texture of a l/l. If you've ever filled in your lips with a l/l, that's exactly how this looks and feels. The only downside is the price, because you don't get much product for the price. The pencil looks long at first, but quickly wears down every time you sharpen. By like a lot. So I gave this a 2 for packaging.