Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.6

on 4/30/2013 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Sadly, very few so-called timeless classics ever work on me - I seem to be cursed (or blessed?) with the kind of skin, that works mostly with zeitgeist and the perfumes of "now and possibly tomorrow". Particularly badly my chemistry interacts with powdery scents. My skin kills completely the following perfumes, so much loved by many: Anais Anais, Fidji, Rive Gauche ( it takes some time, but there's always very little left of what it's supposed to be ) and L'air du temps is, sadly, no exception. At first there's powder, something yellow and a little green, and 5 minutes later - NOTHING. Just powder , if I shamelessly drench the whole arm with the tester at a drugstore in a fruitless attempt to experience the glorified beauty of this classic. Who knows - it is only the hype? Or is it my chemistry? Is it the new reformulation that is to blame? The end result is - I can simply spray air on my wrist, the effect will be exactly the same. If I come across a vintage bottle - will give it a go and get back with an update.

I think perfume is one of the most subject things, but really, I just don't understand this one's popularity.

I suspect that this fragrance has succeeded based on its reputation for being a ''classic''. Women will buy it, because they figure it's such a classic you can't go wrong with it - it's safe, like buying Chanel no 5. If this was released on the market today, I'm pretty sure it would fail.

There's no complexity or interest to the scent. It smells like a nursing mother wearing a lot of deodorant. It's so floral, it's slightly nauseating. Imagine a mix of milk, baby powder, and acid. It's light and smooth enough to be a 'young' scent, but in reality I've smelled it on a lot of 40 year-old Mums, so perhaps that's where my prejudice comes from.

This perfume manages to be a total paradox. It's boring whilst being aggressive, should be young but smells old, essentially, it's synthetic baby milk. And pretty bloody over-powering baby milk, by the way. I sprayed l'air du temps on the back of my hand, and Chanel no 19 on my wrist...the Chanel was completely eradicated by l'air du temps - it vanished.

If you want the smoothness and prettiness of this scent without the nausea, try Dahlia Noir.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I just bought it because of Nina Ricci's name..great packaging and wikipeidia has a page about this iconic perfume...Its bad please dont buy it its too sweet smells like a jasmine based hair oil ..I detest...I live in India.. and here villagers use this hair oil in abundance and where ever they go they carry this yukkie smell..Eeewww.I bought it and the moment I put this on it transported me in to bus or a train full of people reeking with the overuse of jasmine hair oil.....I have a problem with jasmine or say so much of jasmine.. and sandal wood...we have it all around us in temples...roses also...This is not I would like to put on my body...I gifted it away to my sister ..who also seems to not like it..Last time I asked her about the perfume she said that she has put it in her cubboard... post that she was quiet...I'm sorry Sis... :(< I will get you something nice but not from Nina ricci...

on 5/5/2010 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This smell like baby product, fortunately I didn't spend any money on it since it was a present, because this is definitely not the kind of perfume I'm used to purchase. It smells like soap, really, each time I spray a little on my hand it's like I just washed them. It's not elegant, nor sweet, I don't know, I just don't like it, the smell is kind of powdery, kind of old also, it's not feminine. The only positive point I'll have to give is that it smells kind of fresh & floral.

on 3/23/2009 5:57:00 PM

I used to love this many moons ago. I just can't wear it now. It gives me horrible headaches. Shame, because the bottle is so beautiful and the name is lovely too, but in the end, it's the scent that matters and I just can't stand it. I wish I could be more precise about it and explain exactly what I don't like about it-but it is just like a love affair that went sour, and you can't stand the sight of the person at all.
Still, I feel jealous of those who can wear this,the name is pure poetry.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My son gave me this as a gift because I used to wear it when he was six. He is 24 now, and I am also alot older. I cannot even imagine wearing this then, but I think I did wear it for a bit. I remember it being light and floral, really pretty. Today, its pungent - strong, alcoholy/chemically, and really no pretty scent to speak of in there at all. I don't know if the formula has changed or what, but this is not something I can live with on me of course. I will put this brand new, full bottle with box up for swap since some of you really like it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

My mom loves this fragrance, and happened to spray some on my arm. It is absolutely awful! It smells cheap, and reminds me of the smell in a gas station bathroom. Yuck! I told her that I didn't like it, I'm only 20, not 80. Would not recommend!

on 5/13/2007 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This reminds me of Chanel no. 5. It is a totally cloying slickly sweet stomach ache producing chemical smell. I did wear this a few times way back 30 years ago but never did like it. When they are this syrupy sweet they gag me, especially when they have this strong musk undertone. Room deoderizer in a gas station bathroom smell.

What happened to LAdT?!? I must admit to having some fondness for this one. It was my first perfume, and I remember I couldn't stop sniffing myself whenever I wore it. Well, the other day I was killing time at JC Penney's and instantly gravitated towards those beautiful dove-shaped bottles. What an absolute disaster!!! Why would anyone reformulate such a classic? Its powdery note now overwhelms, and unfortunately that's the only thing I can smell. How very sad!

on 12/15/2005 10:32:00 PM

I bought this after smelling it in a magazine. When I got it home and used it I smelled like an old lady. I can't stand perfumes with gardenia and as my bad luck would have it, this stuff just reeks of it. It's a nice scent on someone else but on me it just does not work.

Popular Fragrances