Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC)  30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

Peeling Ingredients: Glycolic Acid, Deionized Water, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Witch Hazel, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben. pH Prep Solution Ingredients: Water, Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, FD&C Blue #1 8/16/11

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I started using MUAC 30% Glycolic Acid peels after a life-time of disappointment in acne treatment.

I've used dozens of skin care lines, OCM, Retin-A in cream and gel form, internal suppliments, professional facials (sometimes with peels), anti-biotics, and sulphur masks.

[Mini Rant/Word to the wise: Research your actives before plunking down an obscene amount of money for a product. If a ingredient is not in the INCI, then it's likely marketing maurading around in a lab coat. Also, I don't trust research that isn't peer reviewed, or is sponsored by the company hawking the product.]

My skin before I started using the peel:

Oily
Active acne that wouldn't budge. I've had some of these spots for YEARS.
Lots of scars
Sallow complexion
Lots of huge pores

I started using the peel once a week, each week adding a minute until I hit the max reccomended time.

I've been using this peel now for about 8 weeks, and have noticed a dramatic improvement. The first couple of weeks I still had active acne, but my complexion looked almost dewy and I noticed a few shallow lines start to disappear.

By week 3 a noticable decrease in active acne was noted, and my pores had started to become less noticable.

Week 8 was during my cycle and instead of the vicious breakout that signals the start of my period, I only had THREE! count them THREE! smallish pimples that cleared up in a couple of days. I'm so happy I could tap dance!

Sometimes I will be a teeny bit pink and tender the day after I peel, but nothing serious. I also have not experienced any visable peeling (which I wasn't expecting since this particular peel at this strength is considered a chemical exfoliation and not a true skin peel).

This week I did my first TCA 12.5% peel, and I'm waiting for the peeling to finish before I can gauge if there is any initial improvement.

On top of that I've changed my daily routine to:

AM: Skin Actives: Salicylic wash (very gentle) Vitamin C in the AM, UNT tinted sunscreen
PM: Skin Actives Salicylic wash, and "Let's Make Collegen" serum

I still have damage to repair, but my active acne has slowed down to a couple of minor pimples per month and clear up quickly, and the fine lines I was starting to see are slowly vanishing. I can live with that!

A word of caution. I've seen a lot of folks on the internet saying they started bang out the gate with 50% Glycolic or 30% TCA with no former peel experince, and seemingly very little knowlege about the chemistry of their skin, the mechanism of what they are doing, or why a chemical peel is able to do what it does.

Please do your research.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and a current chem student, which gives me a bit of a unique perspective. When done properly, there is no reason why anyone (who's skin condition is suitable for this treatment) can't benefit from doing a home chemical peel.

Do a skin test prior to any unknown peel type (this includes changing brands), or change in strength. If I have a bad reaction to XYZ peel type/brand at 8%; I can't imagine what it would be at 18%.

Increase the strength of your peels SLOWLY, and be sure to use sunscreen every single day - whether you leave the house or not.

I've been using this for only about 3 weeks now, so I'll have to come back and update if anything changes, but so far I'm extremely satisfied. It's really not too expensive considering how powerful the product is, especially when you compare it to cost of going to a salon or doctor for a peel. I got the 1 oz. size, and I've used maybe 1/8 so far - I would estimate there are about 20 uses in a 1 oz. kit. It came with a little bar of green tea soap, which I like (except for the soapy smell) - it's gentle and cleans thoroughly.

My experience so far has been that it takes almost a week for my skin to completely recover and start really improving in appearance. The first few days after I do a peel, it looks worse than it did before - splotchy, dull, pale, oily in the morning, red spots very prominent - so I wouldn't recommend doing this less than a week before a big date or event of some kind. My skin tends to be oily anyways, so it doesn't get too flaky.

After about 5 days, it starts looking better every day: my pores are much less noticeable; the texture of my skin is much smoother; redness is isolated to a few small, stubborn spots; and my skin looks bright and glowing. No breakouts yet (FYI, I'm also on Solodyn to prevent acne). I can't wait to see how this will continue to improve my skin.

I love this peel. I did my second one (one each week) and so far am pleased with the results. I followed the directions exactly on the packaging. Your kit comes with the peel, prep, and green tea soap. The first treatment I did I only did the 30 seconds as recommended and it stung very little and barely left a pink tone to my skin. The following week I left it on for 1 full minute and had the same results, slight warmth and very faint pinkness that went away in about an hour. The first thing I noticed was my skintone already looks more even (less ruddiness). I have a TON of clogged pores on my chin (has been like that since I was little) and I've noticed some patches of clarity. I've had a couple of small breakouts near my cheeks but they cleared up as quickly as they came (litterly the next day the bump was gone leaving only a red spot and then the following day the redness was gone too). The green tea soap is WONDERFUL! It leaves my skin feeling tight but not flaky. On my next purchase I'm going to buy a bar on it's own. Since I've been using my peel my makeup has also been going on much smoother. I think a lot of it has to do with skin being less ruddy that my makeup just looks better since I don't have to apply quite as much. I'm anxious to do longer treatments and bump up to a 40 or 50% treatment but I am determined to be patient and use the treatments as they are intended so I don't have to worry about damaging my skin, so I will finish my 30% peel and then move up to the next percentage. ETA: I just had to add. My son, who is 7 years old developed some pimples along his hairline (really angry looking ones too!). Last night I brushed back his bangs (which I think are the source of the problem!) and took a warm cloth with a little bit of the green tea soap and wipe along his brow. LITERALLY the next day the pimples are almost ALL gone! I kid you not! I wish I took a before/after shot! I am buying a full sized bar of this soap ASAP!

on 12/15/2008 1:20:00 PM

i use 30%. first peel was 5 minutes, second was 8 minutes, 3rd was 10 minutes (max) after my second peel (which was a week later), my professor said my face was glowing (i know in school LOL).

my face cleared up- now the purging i find most interesting of all.

turns out i had more blackheads than i thought. 3 days after the second peel i pinched my skin a bit (urging the purging) and blackheads out of NOWHERE were OOZING out of my skin. those pimples stuck in my skin, closed at the surface of my pores are coming out still but with much less inflammation. i suggest you DO NOT pick the face at all bc it will bring out some reddish spots. at the rate my skin was clearing it was actually noticeable !!

the rest of my skincare is yves-roche, but i use pure rose water as a toner.
i wear spf 50 everyday anyhow. i am pale and have had sunburns from caribbean travels as a kid/teen. this did not help with much of my discoloration mainly bc i had sunspots (dr murad's 2% hydroquinone took care of that in 3 weeks) -- i had slight dark dry patches by where my sideburns would be, and now they are gone and that is the only area that has lightened.
the dry spots on my face are gone. my skin responds better to moisturizers. i had a greasy forehead that wouldn't absorb anything before. now it has matte'd a bit, and absorbs my cream. yayyy!
i do not have wrinkles so i can not comment on those types of results.

i will not graduate to 40% i am too young to go that far. sloughing off the extra skin was what my adult acne needed. i will stay at 30% until i compete 8 peels (once a week) then see how long it takes for my old crappy skin to restore itself. THEN i will start up this regimen again. hopefully with less peels.