Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

Jean-Charles Brosseau Ombre Rose

3.0

on 6/24/2008 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This scent is so beautiful. I first smelt it as a child on lush looking grown up beauties and wanted some day to grow up and wear it, to match it in loveliness as the women I saw did. For me as a grown up now, it's as beautiful, seductive, sexy and lovely as ever it was. It is strong but not overpowering, it doesn't leave a skunk trail like some strong perfumes do and they can be offensive. In fact when I sit next to someone on a train wearing a strong scent, I move if I can or feel sick. But L'Ombre Rose is in a class of it's own for me and does have a gorgeous sillage but it is never overpowering or offensive. It is a melange of sweet, heady, warm and luxuriance with a citrus scent too, an aldehyde quality but as far as i know without any actual citrus in it. Like sweet and sour food, like an apple with cheese and red wine, it's a perfectly delicious combination, you get the best of both worlds. It doesn't say vamp in an obviously sexy way, but the ylang ylang, vanilla, rose, peach, iris, lily of the valley (which I usually hate but not here) sandalwood and rich musk give it a juicy, sensual richness and and a quality that almost reminds me of the scent of clean skin, warm bodies, after the dry down as the scent evolves on the skin.
I have tried hundreds of perfumes, but none of them has the strength without overload, the warmth and richness and uplifting hit of citrus and sweetness without sickliness, that this does, combining so well, without being cloying for me, none are as beautiful. Many are lovely, many are sumptuous, but none match this scent, it does everything, like the beauty of Ingrid Bergman in an old B&W movie, her face could portray sister, mother, seductress and this scent on me can be innocent, fine for occasions when one doesn't want to seem as though one is trying to be seductive, but on the other hand it does have an almost erotic undertone, the warmth, evoking bare rosy flesh beneath the clothes, it is very sexy, so the guys say and I agree.
I think it may've been one of the first gourmand scents, if not the first gourmand fragrance, and none does it better for me, if you want a man to smell your scent and salivate, without finding it too much and be nauseated as Angel etc can, this is it, you will smell utterly delicious. I heard this was first inspired by a line of poetry from Proust, 'A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleur.' A romantic thought for an intensely heady and voluptuously romantic scent.
And for those who say it smells old lady, not true, at least not on me, on the contrary, I get tons of compliments from young guys, teens included to guys in their 30's when wearing this, in fact I've known them to swoon over this scent and make 'yummy noises' of appreciation. Another nice thing about it is, one can smell all the ingredients of the scent, pick them out and yet they mix together on the skin like fine layers of silk, I'm wearing this for life, may they always make it, I'll import it if I have to, I love it, guys swoon, what's not to love?
And not only does it seem to be an aphrodisiac for scent challenged males, it also has a comforting quality, it's a real chameleon, perfect, everything I could ever want from a scent in one lovely bottle. I've been trying so many fragrances, thinking that perfection could be improved upon, it can't this is it, besides I wouldn't want to disappoint the guys by changing my scent, what was I thinking of - try it! Actually don't, I want it all to myself, my signature scent, keep off, find your own! But if you really want a lift and to feel gorgeous, I suppose I should share the experience. If your love life cupboard is bare, I get guys follow this scent trail in the street, nice, gorgeous ones too. So I ought to be generous, this is the holy grail, really, if you like the ingredients already, you will adore this and so will the guys around you. And if you;re feeling rotten with flu, stuck at home feeling really drab, fed-up and sorry for yourself, this will cocoon you in warmth, like a lover's embrace, really, I mean it, it's more comforting than a bar of chocolate and reminds you of how female and lovely you can be. One proviso, this is not good for women who like the androgynous, this scent is very much all woman, which could be why some young girls may think it too old, they're not yet, nor ready yet to be a full on siren of sensuality at the height of her powers, well that's what it evokes to me and those who comment. Just wait till you get a little older girls, if you like the ingredients, one day you will enjoy what this does for you! Thinking about it, I don't get compliments from other women when I wear it, they all come from men but I can live with that.

on 11/10/2006 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

It is the weirdest thing, I don't smell rose at all. It smells like sweet almond extract, plasticky, and a hint of baby tushie. I will stick to Nahema which is still my favorite rose in all the garden.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

there is something among the base notes which i don't like, someone mentioned play doh, and yes i agree. it's a perfume i want to like, very flowery and girly and of course i adore the frosted bottle, but after about ten minutes i was washing my wrists to get rid of that weird chemical scent, not for me :-(