Maybelline New York Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof

Maybelline New York Volum' Express Turbo Boost Waterproof

3.6

on 2/15/2006 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I gave this a try as an alternative to my Full 'n Soft WP, which I wear as my daily wear mascara. I was looking for something more dramatic to play up my totally average lashes. This formula is indeed waterproof, and the black is extremely black. However, it seemed to make my eyelashes look rather spikey. They were lengthened, but seemed inclined to stick together instead of giving me a full fan like I was hoping for.

on 5/8/2013 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I have the "newer" version in the black and orange tube. I changed my review and added a lippie because I've come to like this more than before. It still isn't a favorite of mine, BUT, I love how it doesn't budge....sweat, pool....it lasts and lasts. I also noticed adding several coats quickly makes a big difference in length and volume. My first impression was not great, but it really builds to a decent mascara.

on 10/28/2007 4:30:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Well, the stores have recently had a sale on the Maybelline mascaras, so I bought 8 of them and hopefully will be reviewing them all. All the mascaras are waterproof formulations because I have super-short, super-thin, poker-straight East Asian lashes that don't hold a curl unless I have a quick-drying waterproof formula. Side-by-side in comparison with Maybelline Lash Expansion, VolumExpress didn't volumize as much. Ha. 5x volumizing does NOT live up to its billing. It didn't smudge, though.
As an exclusive waterproof mascara user for 2 decades, I can say ALL waterproof mascaras are difficult to remove. It is what makes waterproof mascara waterproof. People shouldn't deduct points for this characteristic and try to compare it to a water-dissolvable mascara formula. It's comparing apples to oranges.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This is one of those mascaras that I keep going back to even though I "try" to find something better. (still looking for my HG!)
I have short, stick straight lashes and all non-waterproof mascaras drop the curl immediately after I lash curl them.. so I have to stick with waterproof formulas. This gives me a little bit of length but gives me alot of volume. It gives my lashes some drama without being spidery and clumpy.
Negatives: the waterproof formula is very hard to take off so you have to use a good eye makeup remover (i.e.: neutrogena eye makeup remover, or Lumene waterproof makeup remover...if you want high end go for Lancome bi-facil or anything that can really take off stubborn eye makeup). also if you apply too many coats it will definitely get clumpy.
I highly recommend this mascara for someone with my type of lashes.

Overall, this mascara was not bad in terms of adding volume and length to my lashes. It looks very smooth on the lashes and doesn't clump up despite multiple applications. Nevertheless, I'd be looking for something new since it smudges after a few hours despite being "waterproof", as so many here has already noted. I'm tired of looking like a panda everyday towards the evening or in the afternoon that I happen to take a nap. So I'll be looking elsewhere... unfortunately.

on 6/27/2005 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This mascara is close to becoming my HG. My lashes are pretty long, but stick straight and no volume at all. Before I put this on, I curl my lashes first. Then, put couple of light coats of this mascara and my lashes look much fuller. Just like its name, this mascara creates volume like no others I've tried so far. It holds curls all day long and doesn't flake or smudge. At the end of the day, I use Clinique Take the Day off remover to remove it and it comes off completely. I'm glad I tried this. Maybelline often have coupons and sales, so give it a try then. You might end up liking it.

on 10/10/2006 2:44:00 PM

I like this product!! It really gives volume and thickness to my lashes, plus is waterproof. I usually buy waterproof mascaras. I used to buy a cheap brand that was great for me but I was not able to find it anymore. So I decided to look for a mascara that would give me that thickness and length without being expensive.
So I tried so many brands and I ended up not using them anymore. Voluminous by L'Oreal was the best so far. But I tried this one and I love it!!
I really recommed Volum Express turbo 5X by Maybelline is great!