Erno Laszlo Shake-it

Erno Laszlo Shake-it

4.4

Aqua (Water), Alcohol Denat. (Sd Alcohol 40-B), Calcium Carbonate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Talc, Glycerin, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Denatonium Benzoate, Amyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Eugenol, Gerniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Isoeugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Ci 77491 Ci 77492 Ci 77499 (Iron Oxides), Ci 77947 (Zinc Oxide), Ci 77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

on 2/1/2017 2:35:00 AM

Hi guys I was upset this was discontinued too. Wanted to share that I have heard Janet Sartin Dual Performance Treatment Makeup is the dupe of this product.

on 1/29/2017 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Are you perplexed by my five-star rating and then see that I would not repurchase? Simple answer: Laszlo no longer makes this product. The company has been bought and high-jacked by some absolute fools in search of the "younger market"..I say HA to that. Dr.Laszlo was the first doctor company and its many long-time followers are legion, so much so that when you go to Nordstrom reviews you see review after review from people who have been using this for five decades or more and you will also see that their daughters and granddaughters have become devotees as well. Originally the only way you could purchase this line was at Saks Fifth Avenue, you had to book an appointment, have your skin clocked (meaning skin type designation). After the 30-40 minute consultation, the ONLY way you could purchase was by buying ALL the products (you then became a member of the Laszlo Institute) recommended and for good reason, these products work synergistically and yes they really do or I should say did. Now everything has been reformulated with a lot trendy, meaningless ingredients. I spoke with their global brand ambassador who did work at Saks for forty years selling this line. Sadly this pioneering brand has decided to knuckle under to all this pre-cleanse/double cleanse phrasing which is ridiculous as Laszlo was the man who invented oil for makeup removal and then the appropriate soap for your skin type, the most important step in this regime is filling the basin with water as hot as you can tolerate, dip the bar of soap in the water, slide the wet bar all over your face and neck, dip the soap in the water again and work up the lather so you have lots of suds, place soap back in the dish and then start the splashing technique. Forty splashes in the what is known as 'treatment water', pat dry. I guarantee you have never known what truly clean skin feels like, all the splashes force water to flush out the pores and hydrate the skin, after all, moisture is water hence hydration. Pat the skin dry and follow with the appropriate toner/astringent. I am 63 years old and have used this since I was in my late teens my skin is soft as a baby's bottom and well hydrated. If you use Shake-it, Light controlling Lotion and/or Regular Controlling Lotion, fret not as the Janet Sartin company can replace the aforementioned. Miss Sartin's products are milder but effective for me. Many people have said that the Laszlo Sea-Mud soap is not the same classic formula, I am guessing they are probably correct. I hope I have been of help and if anyone knows of a Sea-Mud soap stand-in please put a review in here

on 3/6/2016 3:22:00 PM

A great product, but why a color change in the line? I have been using the palest shade of Shake It since 1966. It agrees with my combination sensitive fair skin in that with the Laszlo controlling face powder, it gives my skin a natural look and - very important - does not turn orange on me. Most foundations do. I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating this quality, but I've just learned that Lazlo has eliminated it's fairest shade, called Porcelain for quite some time but not always - from the Shake It line. A new shade, Neutral, appears to be intended as a replacement, but Neutral has yellow in it per the color swatch on the Laszlo website. Back in the day, this line was a source of a brilliant range of shades in its color products. In this age of diversity, Laszlo appears to be moving backward, with increasingly diminished colors and color products. (An oil-free foundation product introduced in the '90s, I think it was, that looked wonderful over Shake It for more coverage - I used the cool, pale shade, Vanilla (0) - was replaced with a more expensive and less effective product that is harder to apply and looks muddy on my fair skin. ( And please stop the Sea Mud Soap in its new box from flaking and splitting - two bars in a row
so far.) I'm worried that the stalwart products in the Laszlo program and the good changes added to it over the years are being dropped and/or neglected in favor of a way to make a fast buck, and that the line will die off as a result. A sad prospect to this long-time fan.

on 1/29/2016 2:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

The foundation comes more like a toner with powder.I am satisfied with this product since it gives me a really matt face with the pores covered and i think the coverage is actually better than i thought.Comparing with Chantecaille Just skin TM ,i have to say Shake it could even my skin tone even better and more coverage.I have quite an oily skin and acne pore.so far,it doesnt break me out,still i don't think i would use it for daily in winter.

on 9/16/2015 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Wow. If you are looking for a sheer to light coverage powder foundation, LOOK NO FURTHER!
I have been using this "foundation" for literally almost 25 years. No kidding. I use the Shade 0 color in the summer, and the Neutral color in the winter. They are both neutral warm tones. Neutral has a little more yellow undertones and is a little lighter than Shade 0. Granted, I have used this off and on over the years, but I ALWAYS come back to my Shake It because nothing else has the staying power, pore minimalizing power, and acne control power that this has. It will NEVER clog your pores or break you out. In the summer I use it as is, and in the winter I pour a little of the clear liquid (mostly alcohol) off the top and add pure witch hazel to it. The result: flawless skin ALL year!

I like it, but I'm not wowed by it, so I wouldn't buy again when (if) I ever finish the one I have.
I have it in shade Neutral, and it's a little too yellow for my NW15 skin even in summer time, with a slight tan. It's okay though, but I cannot see myself getting away with it in the winter time.
What I do like is that it keeps me relatively matte for most of the day, I only get oily in the evening, after 6 pm, after having it on for 11 hours and blotting once or twice mid-day. So it's a good product for hot summers, which is why I gave it the 4 lippies.
I tried using it as a base under my foundation, but it didn't work like that, it all felt gross and cakey.
The way I use it is by soaking a cotton ball into the mixture and applying all over the face, letting it dry for a minute or so, then going over it with my fingers to buff it in. Because it still looks powdery, I then spray some UD All Nighter on top, let it sit for a few seconds, then gently pat it in with my fingers - I find that this removes the powdery look and leaves my face matte, poreless and flawless. I also use a setting powder (Coty Airspun at the moment) on top.
As for coverage, I did pour out about half of the clear liquid (toner), this way the product is more concentrated and I can achieve a medium coverage. I haven't had any active pimples since I've started using it, so I don't know how it would cover them, but I have a feeling it might work. If not, a dab of concealer will do.
I have a feeling it also prevents breakouts, because the toner has alcohol in it and other stuff that apparently is good for the skin.
It has a faint scent but it doesn't linger at all, and it feels a bit drying, especially in the beginning, but the feeling subsides soon after.
As a negative, I find it does pool up in some pores, especially on my nose, but it's not obnoxiously obvious like with other foundations. Does it look like I'm wearing nothing? No. But it does look pretty natural, so it's all good.
I don't think it would be a good product for winter, when skin gets much drier, but I totally recommend it for summer, especially for those who don't need full coverage.
It is expensive, but I don't see myself running out of it anytime soon, so it's worth the price.

on 6/14/2013 5:45:00 PM

i have hyperhydrosis (and am freaking perimenopausal to boot) and have been struggling with how to get light foundation for my face that will not sweat right off. Mainly, i pour sweat for a good 2 hours after i wash my face or take a shower and most days it's simply impossible to apply foundation or powder without making "mud". i have used NuSkin products for close to 20 years, which is the best skin care decision i have made in my life, but even their wonderful products could not give me that light coverage i was wishing for.
Based on the reviews on this board, i purchased Shake-It back in October and am here to share that it has been a dead-on perfect solution to my issues. i poured a bit of the alcohol off as other users have suggested and i love, love, love this product. It goes on next to invisible (i use a moistened cosmetic wedge) and, as it dries, gives me the faintest bit of powdered barrier - my sweating stops - and i am then able to finish with the smallest pats of my NuSkin powder. It's super no-hassle and is the answer to many an agonizing morning spent wondering if i would ever be able to wear makeup again.
God Bless You, Erno Laszlo.

on 10/15/2012 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have oily skin, and for some reason, I have to change my foundation make-up formula regularly because it just stops looking good after a few months. I LOVE this product. In fact, I love all the EL products Ive tried (with expert advice). I use this after cleansing, toning, and moisturizing with EL antioxidant moisture complex. It's tricky to find the best way to apply it at first, but for me, I dab it on with a cotton ball (pressing into my skin) until I achieve a very matte finish and then I apply EL controlling powder in Dark very lightly to set. It lasts all day! I am African-American with fair skin ( I usually use cafe au lait or caramel shades) and although the Suntan is a tad bit light and not as yellow-toned as I usually go for, it works well set with the dark transluscent powder. It looks very natural, like my skin, if I don't overdo the application. If you have really oily skin, you know that foundations have a tendency to darken up throughout the day and look dirty. This product eliminates that issue for me!

on 8/3/2012 1:25:00 PM

I have dry skin, so I'm not the target market for this product. Nevertheless, I like it for covering the t-zone, especially in hot weather. It leaves my t-zone as matte as matte can be.

Sometimes I apply with the recommended cotton ball; other times with a flat-top foundation brush. I do wish the opening was a bit smaller, to avoid the chance of spilling this very expensive potion.

Wish I would have discovered this 30 years ago! This stuff is amazing for oily skin. It is essentially powder suspended in toner. After washing and priming my skin I sponge this on with the sponge that I swiped (never used) from my Studio Fix compact. It literally takes 30 seconds. When the alcohol dries you're left with a flawless, somewhat sheer veil of powder and you just look like you have perfect skin. It shrinks pores and keeps my skin matte all day. If I go out in the evening I just reapply and get a fresh made-up look immediately. It really is perfect. I have been a devoted powder foundation user for years but powder foundations just don't cut it in the summer - they're too thick, obvious, and melt right off even with primer. This is amazing stuff and I might use it year round when the weather cools - we'll see.. Expensive, but worth it. FYI - I prime with MAC Prep+Prime SPF 50. I've tried just straight moisturizer and/or sunblock and it doesn't work as well. The neutral shade that I use is pretty much universally flattering on everyone, or so I'm told.

Popular Face Skincare Products