CLARINS all

No Image

4.9

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I asked my Dad for a Clarins mascara and specific lipstick for my birthday. He went to the Clarins counter at John Lewis and the sales assistant added in all these lovely other little samples, and a cosmetic bag and wrapped it all beautifully in a box. Really pleased my Dad because he generally uses around one metre of gift wrap and two rolls of sellotape per item. One of the samples was their express eye makeup remover which has been a revelation because I have been desperately trying different brands to find one which doesn't burn my eyes, since the one i use was discontinued. Thanks to her sample , I have found a gem, with no discomfort at all. At the same time , I have been floundering with my skincare routine as my trusty Erno Laszlo regime is now hopelessly ruined by the latest owners and my skin can no longer tolerate many of the products I used for 16 years straight . I tried Lancome , but far too heavily fragranced for my skin. I tried Moogoo, which was too drying for me . So having had this lovely gift, I decided I would try their Alpine Herbs cleanser and Chamomile toner, and I got three samples with the two piece set I ordered online . One week in, my skin actually seems to be grateful . The products smell gorgeous but are not overly fragranced for me . I am using the Japanese skin care method which is more time consuming , and is likely contributing to the improvement in my complexion. But the products are contributing too. I have already identified some other items I will buy , thanks to their samples . And that is the beauty of their generosity: It is a great way to try something before huge outlay , which was exactly the mistake I made with the Lancome day cream which I handed over to my husband after a week of use . The samples tempt you to purchase things that may not have been on your radar , which is likely what I will do since I am so impressed with their Extra Firming Night Cream . But it also makes me think , this company has confidence in their products, to give away so many samples, because there is no direct profit in samples.
Lancome made £60 from me for a day cream that my skin rejected. Had I tried a sample , it would have been a no. But the trade off is that I will probably never purchase another Lancome skin care item now . But Clarins , thanks to their generosity and belief in their own products , have gained another customer , who has crossed to the dark side and will no doubt , buy more and more items . Their products are not the cheapest , but when you read about the many plant based ingredients, their aim towards natural where possible , you get some understanding. We all know how much pure essential plant and herb oils can cost.
But that is part of the appeal for me, the natural ingredients. I am also one of those shallow plum duffs that like all their products to look nice together in the bathroom cabinet, and Clarins products look really nice.
So here is how it works in a nutshell , I have already decided to go to the counter to talk about the best foundation for me , hopefully get a sample , and will likely, buy the night cream whilst I am there . That is just how cosmetic shopping should be - a treat with the enjoyment of advice and tempting try-outs, not a chore where you dread asking for things . Clarins have a new customer, and one that will tell other people how great Clarins are.
It also means a lot to me that the Clarins family are still the main shareholders of this company, not Nestlé or Unilever etc. You have more of a chance of them sticking to their ethos I think , and standing by trusted products . Those of us who were Erno Laszlo devotees of old , have been heartbroken by the direction the company has taken under the latest ownership , the entire legacy from the 50s now destroyed, just a cash in on Dr Laszlo's name, and those of his clients (Monroe , Hepburn, Jackie Kennedy etc) . This so often happens with buy-outs. I will never forget how choked I was when Prescriptives was bought out. They discontinued all the great products, wilfully destroyed it, then ended the brand .

I will email the company to tell them how great this sales assistant at John Lewis is too.
Clarins -you won my heart.

on 5/20/2007 3:10:00 PM

Clarins has always had GREAT samples, and I have purchased some products after receiving samples. At the store where I used to work, I was told that they are cutting down on their samples. :( I've received samples of the Super Restorative Day Cream (bought), Super Restorative Night Cream (bought), One-Step Exfoliating Cleanser (buy regularly), the eye serum (rec'd as gratis), self-tanners, fragrance, shower gel, lotions, and other products. In general, Clarins is a GREAT line, and I love many of their products. I regularly use the Peach water cleanser, orange cleanser, and Super Restorative products.

on 4/10/2007 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was at the Clarins counter to check out their Instant Light Perfecting Touch (which I did purchase and is becoming HG for me as a highlighter) and the SA was incredibly patient and friendly! She wasn't pushy at all and gave me a bunch of makeup samples. Unfortunately, she couldn't give me skin care samples as they don't send any to the counters (maybe just here in Canada they don't do samples for the skin care stuff?) However, she said if I buy a skin care product I don't like due to a skin reaction, etc., they will refund. Overall, I'm seriously impressed with Clarins' customer service. That alone is incentive for me to start checking out their products.

on 11/26/2006 9:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Clarins is the most generous cosmetic company. I was very surprised and didnt expect the generosity of the SA. I was actually just checking out the counters at the stores... comparing bath/body products from Clarins, Origins, Kiehls etc. I just wanted a rich lotion and a body scrub (and not really intending to buy on that day... just a field day and some products testing) The SA patiently listened to my complaints about the conditions of my dry legs and body. She recommended the Relaxing body polisher with essential oils and moisture rich body lotion. She explained why exfoliation is important for lotion penetration. She wasnt pushy and I could feel that she truly believe what she said. Not just some sales pitch. When I bought the body polisher and body treatment oil, she gave me 5 tubes of samples (not those packet version like other companies). My experience at that counter that day changed my impression of that company and its products.

on 9/6/2006 1:46:00 PM

How can I elaborate on what has already been said below? I have never encountered a snooty Clarins SA (unlike some others whose companies I won't mention). They offer a wide array of samples in adorable (generous sized) bottles or tubes and this is usually how I have ended up buying a full size product, e.g. Lotus Oil, Orchid Oil, Water Comfort Cleanser. I normally try to save my sample sizes for travelling. Clarins is definitely a class act!

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I received my first Clarins sample while my mother was having a makeover at the Estee Lauder counter. I was just about drooling over the Clarins counter. I live in rural Ohio and they had just brought in a Clarins counter at an Elder-Beermans where I go shopping. The Clarins SA was so great! I had never seen Clarins products anywhere but in a magazine, so I was in awe. The SA asked me about my skin, and gave me a few samples. The very next time I went shopping, I went right back there and bought a full size of their Bright-Plus Gentle Exfoliator. (This has now become my routine.) My Clarins SA is amazing! She always has a few samples of items that she knows I'll love. It's great to get to try things first. Then you know if it's gonna break you out or irritate you, and saves you a return. I've only returned two products to Clarins--even though I did exchange them for something else--they were both products that I did not get to sample! Each of their samples comes with a pamphlet about that product and sometimes tells about products that would work well with the one you are sampling. They don't come in those stupid little paper packets, I hate those! You can't reseal them, and they don't have much of anything in there! Clarins samples always come in a tube or a bottle that you can reseal. Their samples are pretty good sizes too, 5ml or 10ml. They also have what they call "Deluxe Samples" and they are around 50ml to 100ml, I think they only get those every now and then. When my SA gives me one of those, she lets me pick one from about 4 different products. I've even seen people selling single samples on eBay for like, $5 or $10! I got a sample of their "Total Double Serum", and it has two chambers, just like the large size!!! I know they must spend a fortune on their samples. I am very grateful because they have saved me quite a few returns. And they're great to carry if you're traveling, you don't have to try to transfer products from a big bottle to a small bottle. I really love Clarins, and it was their samples that got me hooked! Most companies have samples left over from Gift With Purchases. Maybe that's why I've never seen Clarins offer one, they give you the gift without the purchase! LOVE LOVE LOVE Clarins!!!

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Clarins definitely is generous with sample size. I cannot say that I have ever once received a sample from a Clarins counter (boo hiss), but when i order online from Gloss.com or Sephora, if I choose a Clarins sample, I get a tube that may last me 1-2 months, versus the usual tear-open pack you might get from other lines. I can honestly say that I have often ended up buying the full-size Clarins product I sampled, so this generous sampling policy is paying dividends for Clarins. I guess it is easier to be generous when a company knows it has the quality goods to bring paying customers back time and again. Clarins is that sort of company.

on 2/5/2006 10:54:00 AM

Out of all the department store brands, Clarins IS the most generous with samples. Everytime I purchase anything from a Clarins counter, I always end up with a few samples. The amount of product in the samples is very generous. The sample packaging is adorable since they are mini tubes and not hard to use packets. Each sample comes in a box with product literature. What more could you ask for? I LOVE CLARINS!

on 1/8/2005 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

One of the reasons I love Clarins are the generous samples. They have 2 sample sizes - regular (usually in 5 or 10 ml tubes) and deluxe, which are up to 1/3 the size of the retail product. Even if I just buy one or 2 products, I invariably leave with a big bag filled with samples. The best!!

on 10/24/2004 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I am officially declaring myself as a Clarins fanactic! I love how generous they are with the samples they give me whether I spend $20 on a toner or $200 on various amount of their products. They seem to love giving you as much samples as you please without giving you a dirty look or acting disrespectful. They SAs are nice, helpful and friendly which I love, making make-up buying a pleasant experience. I love how cute the packaging is and how it doesn't look cheap. Love Clarins <3