Revlon Ciara

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

How did I live this long without having a signature scent? I have dabbled in fragrances all my life, but never found one that I would call my own. I'm kinda jealous of women who when you smell a perfume you think of them! So I one of the things I promised myself is that I am going to try a lot of perfumes this year and find ones I love. So far I have bought 5, and this one is a doozy, suzy.

I found Ciarra in the 2.3 ounce bottle at 100% strength on Amazon for around $8.00 ($23 at my local Walmart for the same size bottle at 80% strength) so I thought no big deal if I didn't like it!

It's like nothing I have ever smelled. It's enchanting! It's a heavy scent so I don't know if it's something I can handle everyday, and I don't know if it will be "the one" for me, but I'm so glad I bought it !!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

(100%) - This is such a little masterpiece! Smells WAAAY more expensive than it is - it's incredible! This is NOT one of those "old lady" perfumes - it has a beautifully blended opening and the animalic, warmth and spice comes to play in about 10 minutes. It's a silage bomb, on me. I try not spray it under my nose, for it will easily assault it! But I feel like a million bucks when I wear this inexpensive gem! If you're on the fence about it, take a LEAP and spend the $20! I bought my 100% strength at Walgreens on sale for $19. But if you look hard and smart, you'll find it online for less that $15. Would love to find out what the 200% smells like!

Spray cautiously, one spritz is all you need. It's a spicy earthy fragrance. I bought it in the 100 strength, I really love it.

There have been only a few times in my life where I discovered a fragrance by accident and it has become an integral part of my fragrance wardrobe. The first was Houbigant Rafinee which I bought in a charity shop and I wore off and on for years. The second is Ciara which like Rafinee is cheap enough to carry around in your handbag. The staying power is amazing, around 12 hours. It is a sweet balsamic scent which will not suit the younger, unsophisticated audience who want to spray fruity florals on there Hello Kitty nightwear. It is to be hoped that in time their aesthetic sense will develop and they become the 'old ladies' they are constantly criticising.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Spray cautiously. This is potent stuff! There is such a mixture in here I feel as if Im rolling in fields in a surrealistic daydream. In comparing my Charles Revson Ciara (vintage) to my Revlon Ciara (newer) , there are very distinct differences.
The opening in Revlons Ciara is tack sharp and more assaultive. It hits your nostrils with a thinly-veiled shrill opoponax and tonka bean. Its a bit of a wait for the drydown for the beauty of this perfume. The Charles Revson version opens immediately with a smooth rich intoxicating blend of spices, tonka bean, leather and opoponax with a hint of vanilla. Its full-bodied and straight out of the past and you can inhale it, feel it and wrap it around yourself. Its a juicier composition where the Revlon one seems to be cracking in its components.
This is an ideal comparison of where new, unfortunately, just doesnt cut it. The woodiness seems stale and musty in Revlons version, yet Revsons is an old cabin in the woods that has been taken care of with love. Its the same with the leather in the two versions. Revsons leather is a beautiful settee, that although still in pristine condition, has been well-used and loved for years. The leather is soft, comfortable and broken in. The leather in Revlons Ciara is non-existent or at best, perhaps pleather.
I love the incense quality which both have. Spray too much and youre sitting in a church pew. Ciara is a sweet perfume that can overpower if applied heavily and becomes far too cloying. Its a beautiful fragrance that only needs to be dabbed lightly to be appreciated for its warm beauty. This is wonderful in cold weather, the lower temperatures just seem to bring the smokiness of Ciara out. Theres a slight hint of fruit, barely there, but its so overshadowed by the incense and other notes youll hardly sense its presence.
Love that the raspberry adds a wonderful dollop of juiciness to this quaint perfume. Charles Revson made heaven in a bottle when they created this little beauty, thats for sure. Its intoxicating, its mesmerizing, its a heady brew. Such a shame that its not whats in those Revlon bottles stamped with the same name. If you have the opportunity to sample the original, please do. Youll understand why so many love vintage Ciara. Its almost magical in nature.
How to tell the difference between vintage and new? And what is the difference between the 80-100-200%? The 80 would be considered the cologne strength, the 100 is the eau de toilette and the 200 is the eau de parfum. Revlon is the current reformulated version while Charles Revson is the vintage formula. Ciara was also marketed under the name "Ultima".
Top Notes: Neroli, Bergamot, Lemon, Raspberry.
Middle Notes: Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Brazilian Rosewood, Palmarosa, Orris Root.
Base Notes: Leather, Opoponax, Vanilla, Incense, Cedar.

I found a bottle of this at a garage sale for $2-- mostly purchasing it as a joke, for this, along with Tabu and Jungle Gardenia, was among the cheapie scents my grandmother wore and I *hated*. So did my cousin-- she'd beg Grandma to at least wear Charlie instead. I remember it as sickeningly sweet, medicinal, and heavy.

Well, turns out either my aged relative bathed in Ciara too heavily, or else she wore one of the stronger concentrations of it... Or, most likely, I'm not a kid anymore and my mind is more open to different fragrances. Anyway: I love this stuff! For reference I have the "80 Strength" and it's the re-formulated Revlon (not Charles Revson) version. Some complain this one is watered down, but honestly it's pleeeenty strong and complex, and I doubt I could handle any more Ciara than this!

There is a definite raspberry note (but tart, not sticky), citrus, and lots of smoky incense and patchouli. It's a total hippie-chick frag, well in keeping with its 1973 release. Instantly reminds me of the smell of the general store at my favorite New Age vegetarian restaurant, with its smoldering Nag Champa sticks and bars of Ayurvedic soap. Feels cozy, familiar, and dated, but in the nicest way. There's always room for hippies in our culture.

I am not sure I'd attempt this at work,
especially since I'm in a medical setting and we're supposed to be "scent-free";
it's hard to keep this scent to oneself, especially when first sprayed. However, I've been wearing it to bed and waking up with just the loveliest traces of smoked woods, earthy patchouli and sun-warmed raspberries wafting up from my shirt.
And to think, this was a "drugstore" scent back in the day! It rivals anything Lancme or Lauder put out these days!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Points to Revlon for carrying on the torch with Ciara! I was able to purchase a gift set- 2 1 fl. oz bottles for $7.50 in an after Christmas sale at Walgreen's. With all of the reformulations of lamented favorites (Magie Noire, I'm looking at you!) Ciara remains ever faithful. It's a melange of raspberry, powder and spices. I have the 80 strength- it's very long lasting. Now I feel the sudden urge to put on Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" (the long version, of course!) and totally thrill to my spirit of Ciara!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

A lovely scent at a lovely price. Ciara is a spicy oriental that rivals many of the newer more expensive fragrances on the market. The overall impression is of vanilla mixed with herbaceous spices. I bought this solely based on positive reviews. Having never smelled it before, I expected it to be very strong, but once it settles on the skin it is surprisingly subtle. This drugstore buy is a little gem. Don't let snobbery keep you from enjoying its charms.

Edit: I've been wearing this a lot lately. I have it in the 100%, which in my opinion has the staying power of any high end perfume. In fact, most of the watery perfumes on the market today just seem wimpy in comparison to Ciara. I've been enjoying this so much, I even added a lippie!

I REALLY wanted to love this one. Seemed right up my alley since I favor stronger scents that are spicy/earthy/musky. I found the 100% strength bottle at drugstore.com and have been wearing it for the past two weeks.

This is an incredible value, you'll spent less than $20 and get a fragrance that lasts over 8 hours. It's unique for sure, I haven't smelled it on anyone in years and upon first spritz it brought back memories of my aunt who used to wear it. She had a style all her own...rebel biker chick mixed with mystical earth goddess...this definitely suits someone who isn't afraid of being different. It's earthy yet clean smelling and has a bit of fruit note (raspberry) but eventually does dry down powdery on my skin. I liked to use BBW Sun-Ripened Raspberry body wash and lotion to make it a bit more fruity because I really don't like powdery scents on my skin.

This doesn't scream sexy to me personally but I am sure with the right skin chemistry, it smells awesome! It's complex and unique but not a good match for me. A solid fragrance and one well worth trying but I won't repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Just want to echo the reviews that have stated this smells like Bal a Versailles.

I have a vintage cologne Bal a Versailles and the 100% strength Revlon made Ciara smells about 90-95% the same. It smells MORE like the vintage Bal a Versailles than the CURRENT EdT of Bal a Versailles! The current EdT of Bal a Versailles is heavily leathery on me, with a bit of plastic doll head mixed with sweet powder. But Ciara is amazingly close to the vintage Bal a Versailles with the sweetness, light(passing) plastic doll head, powder, musk, and incense. It's amazing because I thought I would need to go through evilbay to get my vintage Bal a Versaille fix. But I can get a 2.3 oz bottle of the 100% strength Ciara locally for under $20.

It's a GREAT bargain for the $$ if you like sweet, musky, incensey fragrances. Will definitely repurchase.

Popular Fragrances