Diptyque L Eau Trois

No Image

2.2

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

This rich scent reminds me of the church filled with incense, oranges and herbs. These are comforting scents to me. Which is why I love this so much. I don't want to smell like everyone else. This is a uniquely memorable scent. I will definitely buy this again.

L'Eau Trois is nice, but not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of aromatic green incense fragrances I like: Yatagan, Avignon, Montale's Incense Extreme, Gypsy Water, French Lover, Clive Christian's 1872 For Men... My favorite is Etat Libre d'Orange's Eloge du Traitre, which has something like a long lost Germaine Cellier base in it that smells like cement. Anyway, L'Eau Trois on paper smells, as advertised, like a Greek Orthodox church, lotta Somali frankincense. But my skin picks up the celery note I get from Vol de Nuit.

on 3/31/2010 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I hadn't tried anything truly awful yet in 2010, so I guess it was overdue. L'Eau Trois smells like some sort of horrific herbal bathroom cleaner, or maybe wound antiseptic. Nasty stuff. I can't believe this is still in rotation by Diptyque. They make lots of other wonderful fragrances, but this one is a bomb.

on 6/8/2007 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The reviews were so scary that I started by applying some to a paper towel, just in case. Detecting no urine, I applied some to my skin. After a brief doctor's-office accord, it smelled as if I'd crushed some dusty herbs and rubbed them on my wrist. I'm betting that's the effect they were going for. But then it became BO. Not the acrid BO of someone who doesn't wash. Instead, imagine that you take your morning shower, then realize while you're at work that you forgot to put on deodorant. There's no place nearby to buy some on your lunch break. You skulk around, arms clamped to sides, for the remainder of the day, until your lengthy commute home on a bus on which the air conditioner has broken down. The drydown of L'Eau Trois captures that BO perfectly.

on 9/19/2005 8:25:00 PM

Periodically a fragrance will come along that makes me just sit back in awe, totally impressed that something like it could have been created. Sometimes the awe and sense of being impressed are because the fragrance is so amazingly wonderful. Sometimes, however, it's because it's so astonishingly unattractive. I'm afraid L' Eau Trois fits into this latter category. I definitely get the urinal vibe mentioned in the reviews below. Mystifyingly bad.

on 3/23/2005 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Oh My G_D what a stink. I almost feel ashamed to insult this fragrance since I am a HUGE Diptique fan(Philosykos, Opone, Tam Dao and L'Ombre Dans)and some others. This truely smells like a dirty Macy's bathroom stahl. My poor husband almost threw up. He made me wash it off. I mean this smells wretched. I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear this fragrance. They should really discontinue this one. For the love of Diptique.

on 9/30/2004 11:55:00 AM

Got this as a free sample. On me this stuff smells like pure frankincense. Which is not necessarily a bad thing (I love frankincense), just kind of uninteresting. Funny since I don't believe this perfume contains any! Anyway, L' Eau Trois doesn't wow me.

on 8/8/2004 8:53:00 PM

I get the urinesque note and that's about it. I smell somebody's outhouse. I smell forays into the woods with my brother who went everywhere and all the time, just to spite me with the simplicity of "going". I smell one of those bathrooms at camp that has a toilet with a major run-over problem, and the floors are soaked and the toilet paper sits around in shredded globs waiting to cling to your bare foot. ew

.....Edited 2 weeks later: I have gotten a different sample of this same fragrance and this one has a lot more going on in it (?) I still have the 1st sample, so this is not an indication of early insanity, this time...yet. The 2nd sample smells like food...cumin and other middle eastern spices, and woods. There is also the scent of urine, but it is buried. Are there two different scents? Is one old? With the first batch did someone leave out the spices while tossing it together at the perfumers kitchen counter?

on 8/23/2003 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

RIS. the description was so enticing. went on kind of oily, had a sharp smell at first-hard for me to detect any notes-maybe woodsy, distant pine? kind of musty. perhaps it needs time to "build"? fragrance was totally gone within an hour, :(

on 3/28/2003 12:36:00 PM

I agree with squirrelgirl - this is a lovely fragrance. Almost antique in a way - warm, dusty and sweet but not too heavy either. It is unique, sophisticated and mysterious. Love it. Update - I went to the British Museum for the first time, and this fragrance smells exactly like the book room! It even has the dusty hint of licorice.

Popular Fragrances