People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

Filtered by skin tone : Other
 People of the Labyrinths Luctor et Emergo

3.7

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

At first, I really didn't like this. It goes on my skin smelling like a Cherry air freshener for your car, the red pine tree type dangly cheap ones. It has this nice, lovely potent incensey undertone, however, the base note is really nice. So initially it's got this alternating juxtaposition going on: strong, transparent, fake red cherry kid's-medicine-type smell and at the end of the same whiff, thick swirls of a very dignified, expensive sandal and benzoin incense. I was confused and off-put by the first hour or so. Then, it smelled like the remnants of cherry flavored pipe tobacco, with perhaps a remainder of some weed resin left in the pipe. This lasted around 40 minutes. Two hours later, YuM!!

This delicious, sweet wood note is coming out, very rich, deep and aromatic, just the right touch of dark golden ambery, benzoin-resinous harmonic tone. Now I want to emphasize, that instead of hitting me like a Scent, Full On, in your face, THIS SMELL, as it did the first hour, the second part EMANATES. It subdues. It entices. Now THIS I LIKE!!

I can see how on some this would potentially develop as Playdough, it does have a teeeeeensy tiny bit of saltiness, but on me it's more sweet, and the wood, though rounded and polished, keeps it grounded and real, not synthetic or perfumey smelling in the least. This benzoin is ungodly beautiful, but the question is: Can I keep subjecting myself to an hour of Cherrybomb torture for it? I made a girl give me a bad look in the bathroom and run out the door coughing for it. I felt her pain.

Oh, but the 2nd hour IS SOOO GOOD!!!! It makes it almost worth it. I don't know if I would call it "haunting" as some have, but this is certainly heavenly beautiful. It's sweet, thick, resinous, polished, smooth, woody-black- benzoin heaven.

Just to clarify: I smell no almond, and get no Playdoh development with my skin chemistry whatsoever. The cherry entirely disappeared by the 2nd and 3rd hour at the woody stage (after pipe tobacco). The tobacco note flitted in & out of the woods until the final drydown of vanilla incense.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am a fragrance sample junkie. For me, fragrance is the elixer of life, lots of flirtations but I could never just settle down with any one fragrance. Every few months, I buy a handful of samples from LuckyScent, and sit them on my desk where I work, and when the mood captures me, dab one on.

People of the Labyrinths was completely underwhelming the first time on. I just smelled the sweet cherry, and it was just so blah and one-dimensional, I couldn't understand the hype. Well, actually, I put it in the category of fragrances that are super mainstream, generic department store scents, which always have turned me off.

But the beauty of having a sample for me, is that I get to try it again and again. And, well, People started to soar, and I started to get that addict-need-a-fix. My final evaluation: People is a gold standard fragrance, very well made and of classic potential.

For some reason, Luctor et Emergo generates feelings of near hysteria on the MUA Fragrance Board so it was with a bit of trepidation that I reached for it at Aedes in NYC to try. I had no idea what to expect and upon spraying, was shocked that Luctor et Emergo is basically a girlish almond and cherry blossom scent. It was pleasant enough (I would take this over the intense Pierre Frapin fragrances any day) but I am still puzzled that a grown women would want to smell like this.

Maybe for some people, Luctor et Emergo conjures up happier days of eating grandma's homemade cherry pie. Maybe it is the gratuitously weird name that bears no relation to the actual scent. Maybe it is the peculiar beaker bottles that draw one to POTL in general. In any event, Luctor et Emergo was a bit like the "Emperor with no clothes on" to me. Not much there once all was revealed.

From what I've been able to glean online, here are Luctor et Emergo's notes: sweet incense, vanilla, woods, cherry, almonds, marzipan, fresh grasses and white florals.

At first smell I was almost intoxicated (in a bad way): too much incense, too strong an effect. Ten minutes later, I was taken. I find this fragrance comforting and intriguing, like almonds and incense. I find it especially alluring to wear at night, in my bed, because it calms me down. I don't find it sexy at all, only very, very relaxing. Also, I find it very young and modern. I can't predict wether you could love it or not, but sure it's worth a try.
Horrible bottle.
UPDATE: put it on last night and it was just, well, a disaster: all I could smell was a blast of alcohol and Maraschino, as if I had poured a glass of it over my dress. Gah. I had the sensation that someone could smell me and think I am a drunkard. The smell of a night bar at one in the a.m. I was so sure I loved it, i don't know what chemistry made me change my mind completely.

on 3/12/2008 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Absolutely overrated. This has the sweetness of Sweet Oriental Dream, but none of the spice. The sillage is ridiculously low; I have to bury my nose against my wrist to smell it. Notes for me were sweetness and play-doh. I think this is much more appropriate for a child with very rich parents than any adult. Sorry, folks.

I get cherry play-doh. Play-doh has bad connotations for me as I am forever vacuuming it out of my child's carpet. Therefore, I will not be wearing this again.

on 8/12/2006 10:56:00 PM

I absolutely detest cherries in anything I wear - fragrance, lotion, anything - so I put off trying my decant of POTL for a few days, opening it to sniff it ever so often. Finally, when I considered swapping it away tonight, I decided to try it. The first 10 seconds were overwhelmingly alcohol and little else. Then, a sweet, beautiful, smokey cherry starts to emerge. *Thee* first cherry note I've ever ~LOVED~ wow, really?? Cherry/almond - holy smokes! I love it! Then, within 45 seconds, it fades away, completely, and I'm left with a rather run-of-the-mill woodsy, strongly incensey vanilla scent. Certainly not bad, but not my thing. Darn, I really liked that cherry.

A fellow fragrance fiend gave me a sample of this, and after reading all the hype, all I can say is "wha?" It was nice - some cherry, some vanilla, some incense - but nothing I'd go all apey over. It actually reminded me far too much of a fragrance oil a friend picked up for me at a Renn Faire - one that had a rather naughty name about a damp female body part. Mix that sucker with some cherry vanilla, and you've got this fragrance, in my opinion.

It's okay, but overhyped. I just don't get it. continued >>

on 7/12/2006 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I decided to test this one last time, before giving my sample away. I was hoping to catch some of the magic chameleon effect this stuff is purported to have. Heh. It stayed the same weak cherry-almond I got the first two times I tried it. To add insult to injury it lasted all of two hours on my skin. I guess itís not too injurious since I hadnít shelled out real money for an entire bottle.

If a bottle were to land in my lap, I wouldnít turn it away. But thereís no way Iíd pay anything even close to retail for this perfume. It's pretty enough, but it doesn't live up to the hype.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This fragrance is really bizarre. I swiped some of the sample on and sniffed and I got something pine-y and sweet. But then I started reading through the reviews and each time someone mentioned a new note, I sniffed it on my hand again and found the note they were talking about. I get the cherry and vanilla pipe tobacco, the sweet grasses, and even the cinnamon red hots. It *is* really bizarre how the scent kind of morphs each time you smell it. It's pleasant, but not me, so I'm glad I just swapped for a sample instead of buying it. Definitely worth trying if you're curious though. I can see how people would love it. I'm not sure it's really worthy of the cult status. It's more like a novelty in my book. EDIT: I wore this to work today, and it really smells awful on me. Kind of dirty and smokey, and not pleasant.