CLARINS Gelee Auto Bronzant Express - Self-Tanning Instant Gel

3.3

on 2/8/2016 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Tried this gel for the first time this morning. Applied after my shower/exfoliation - I used a mitt. It went on smooth and it felt a bit sticky for a while. I stayed undressed for about 20 minutes to avoid blotchiness. By about an hour it felt like I had nothing on my skin, which was good. I haven't applied any to my face as I prefer to just use foundation to match my neck (I have had breakouts from tanners in the past when I applied them to my face), so I can't give a judgement on that aspect.

Pros
- Colour - very nice natural tone. I am white as snow normally and this has given me a great subtle healthy colour.
- Smell - There is a fake tanner smell with this product but I found it fades fast and it didn't bother me at all during my day.
- Coverage - So far hasn't streaked which is fantastic. It's fairly even all over and I'm impressed with how it looks on my neck, as the colour hasn't gotten into my lines.

Cons
- Price - for $50 it's hard to justify purchasing. I will buy it again but it's very expensive!

It's taken about 6 hours for the colour to develop and I'm really liking it. I think I will continue to build until I reach a colour level I'm happy with, so probably about two more applications worth.

on 5/14/2012 7:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Curly, Medium

Beautiful effect. Not exactly instant, but pretty quick. Natural looking, not orange. Smells like dried fruit,,,but not overpowering. Generous amount in tube. Will definitely buy again!

on 2/21/2009 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

As I write this I have had this self tanner on my body for almost 2 hours and its still tacky sticky and NOT dry yet! It also smells REALLY bad. This is more like a lotion/gel not a true gel.
I will update in the morning on the color.........so far not impressed.....I need something that dries in a few minutes not 2 hours! It is also more on the greasy side. I think I like a foam better because it dries faster.
UPDATE: Morning now and 1 coat later Im pretty orangey, Id like to be more of a peachy brown. It did not streak or cause irritation.
Will not repurchase, going to try st. tropez next........

on 2/18/2009 6:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I honestly have to say I'm baffled as to how this product gets such a good rating !!

I'd been using St Tropez for the last few years - it's my HG self-tanner, extremly natural colour and very even, lasts ages, little smell, and I always get loads of compliment son it... but the dark colour got all over my sheets so I had to change my bedclothes right away the next morning. And not an option when my bf is over!

I figured I'd give another self-tanner a whirl and wanted a good one, so of course I come onto trusted MUA for reviews and ideas. This one seemed "the one"! And I've done so well with MUA before.

This time, unfortunately, it was not to be. Everything went wrong that could go wrong with a self-tanner.

Firstly, it's way too expensive for the amount you get (but I was willing to try anyway). 25 for a small tube is crazy.

On opening the tube, the smell nearly knocked me out - it was AWFUL. Luckily it faded a bit after 20 min, as others have said, but it was still there and not nice - and the next day I could smell off my skin even after showering. ew

It took AGES to dry. I was standing around naked in the cowboy stance for over 20 minutes and my skin STILL had that tacky "not dry yet!" feeling.

The colour - came up too dark on my face, streaky on my legs, patchy on my upper arms, and awful around my toes. And overall it was a distinctly orange-hue. Looked very fake.

Finally, the day after I put it on, my face broke out in an awful rash - tiny little weeping breakouts all over my forehead and chin, which dried up and scabbed. Needless to say, looked terrible.

Luckily, this product seems to have no staying power. It was gone without any exfoliation within 2 days.

I will NOT be re-purchasing, and will be warning my friends off this product, especially those with sensitive skin. Back to my St Tropez!!

on 11/13/2008 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I liked the way this self tanner looked on my skin, it looks natural and it's a very lightweight formula, so you wont feel as sticky as with the cream formulated ones, it also doesn't smell as strong as some other self tanners, which is really nice. Here comes the other side of this... I think this product is quite expensive and I found that Almay has a self tanner that's basically the same at a HUGE less expensive price with two available formulas (cream and gel), which I think is a great option if you don't want to spend that much money. Almay's package is also the same as Clarins's one. Overall, I think it is a nice product but I rated it with 3 lippies because of it's packaging and because I found something that's basically the same and a lot less pricey.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is another great products from my favorite--Clarins:) I tried this when my Clarins SA gave me a sample. It is fabulous! I used the entire sample before I went out and purchased this, and it seemed to last quite a while. The texture is so silky, like some of the more expensive makeup primers. Years ago, before I got smart about the sun, I used to always have a beautiful tan. It was either from the real sun or the tanning bed, so I've never had a lot of experience applying self tanners. This one is super easy to use, I've never had streaks with it. Which is very surprising because I have no skills at applying it. I just rub it in, I know I overlap areas, but it still turns out great. I even think it smells good! My skin is combination & acne prone. I had been searching for a product that I could use on my chest, shoulders and back that wouldn't break me out. This passed with flying colors. I took one lippie off because it doesn't tan me as fast as I would like, but I guess that's part of what makes it mistake proof. It turns me a very golden tan, no orange at all. It works great for me, and I love it. It is a bit expensive, but I think it's totally worth it!!!

on 5/19/2003 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

this is definitely the best self-tanner i've tried. dries quickly and less of that weird self-tanner smell than in other products. imparts a nice glow that isn't fake-y. i use the gel on my body and the oil-free spray on my face to avoid breakouts.

on 5/1/2003 3:27:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

My love of Clarins self-tanners continues with this Gelee! What a gorgeous golden bronze I've achieved with this fabulous potion! I applied it once, and although it feels sticky for a long time, it didn't streak or rub off on my clothes. I was initially concerned that the gel formula would dry too quickly to spread in evenly, but that's not the case...it blends very easily, and stays moist long enough to ensure proper absorption. The color I achieve with one application of this is darker than the results from one application of the eternally moist-feeling Tanning Milk from Clarins. I prefer this formula to other brands since it doesn't have a tint to it...it won't make nasty brown stains on your bras & stuff if you don't bathe right away like tinted ones do. After my initial application, I felt like I needed a bit more color (since I'm remarkably pale anyway), so I reapplied the gel before bed, and in the morning I looked like I'd spent a week in Aruba:) I will certainly purchase this again...it's a treasure for $26USD! The tan lasts for about 2 or 3 days beyond what other tanners can provide (a total of about 4 days), and the color is much more natural, not orange at all. I've even used this formula on my face, with perfect results, no irritation and no breakouts. My Clarins Gelee is definitely accompanying me on my cruise to the Caribbean in June:)

on 4/17/2003 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Leave it to me to be the voice of dissension. I ran out and bought this because of all the rave reviews I'd read here and in various magazines. But oh, I was so disappointed with this product!
First of all, I didn't find that it absorbed quickly into my skin at all. It felt kind of greasy, as if it were just sitting there, even an hour later. (I noticed cyclomethicone is the 2nd ingredient - this would explain why it felt like I was rubbing hair shine serum on my arms and legs. Blech!) Despite the gunky, filmy feeling it gave my skin, I figured that surely the natural, even color would more than compensate for the texture and long drying time.
Wrong.
Granted, the color that developed *was* natural-looking, but it was far from being even. I doubt it was my application because I've become somewhat of a pro at self-tanning over the years. I've got all the little tricks and tips down. Furthermore, my Neutrogena sunless tanner has *never* left me with uneven color, and I can buy that for a fraction of the price of Clarins.
So, I guess I'll return, once again (why do I even bother straying?) to my trusty Neutrogena sunless tanning foam.
For those of you who love Clarins so much, my hat's off to you. I'm glad it works for so many of you, and wish I'd had the same great experience. :(