AVEDA Rosemary Mint Shampoo

AVEDA Rosemary Mint Shampoo
Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo

3.2

Aqueous (Water) Extracts, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Sodium Coco-Sulfate (Source: Coconut), Lauramidopropyl Betaine (Source: Coconut), Glycerin (Source: Coconut), Sodium Chloride, Vinegar (Mixed Plant), Camphor (Mixed Plant), Menthol (Mixed Plant), Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-4 (Plant Fiber), Cocamidopropylamine Oxide (Source: Coconut), Stearic Acid (Source: Coconut), Fragrance (Parfum) (Aveda's Own Pure-Fume Aroma with Rosemary, Peppermint, Lavender, Marjoram, and Other Pure Flower and Plant Essences), Linalool (Mixed Plant), Limonene (Mixed Plant), Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was (and still am) a big fan of Shampure so I decided to give this a try as my hairdresser had mentioned this one a couple of times. I loved what I could see of the ingredients in the packaging, however after about 3 or 4 uses my scalp began to itch and flake in a way that it hasn't done in a very long time. This was the only thing different in my haircare routine.
Although I'm tempted to say it's the invigorating/stimulating ingredients in here: i.e rosemary extract, peppermint or Camphor, the truth is I regularly use other products which contain these ingredients AND at stronger concentrations so I know that can't be it. My guess is one of the chemicals in here is causing the reaction. Such a shame as I was really looking forward to switching over from Shampure to this based purely on its 'invigorating' plant extracts...
For what it's worth (and the reason why I've not given it 2 lippies) I loved how this is actually a very effective shampoo at cleaning without weighing down or stripping my hair. Each of the few times I used it I found the peppermint/rosemary aroma really invigorating as I inhaled it (I imagine this would work brilliantly at the end of a hot summers day) and my hair itself super-clean and vibrant. If only my scalp had loved it as much!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(As I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, I thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective. I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Ingrown Hair Treatment - 'Priva Shave' - Post Hair Removal Treatment
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I've worked in Aveda salons, spas and even in the stores. I love their products so much and this is one of my favorite shampoos. The scent it is invigorating and uplifting.

This is particularly great for those with sensitive or dry scalps. Its great at cleansing and soothing the scalp.

on 12/17/2018 9:20:00 PM

My husband is addicted to this shampoo. I actually prefer the Suave version for scent, but this one is more concentrated(so I use less of it) & smells more natural. Using all 3 products (shampoo, conditioner & body wash) in the shower after going to the gym- feels incredible. Not a bad price for salon shampoo

on 4/2/2018 1:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I was pretty disappointed with this shampoo. It smells wonderful, but I have pretty dry wavy hair, and this just dried out the ends and irritated my scalp. The Shampure worked much better! The bottle is pretty nice and high quality though.

on 2/23/2017 8:44:00 PM

Bought this because the sales rep at aveda said it'll help with my dry scalp/flakes. Doesn't seem to work and not sure if it cleans my hair well (doesn't lather much)... Only used it 2x so far, so don't know if it takes time to work it's magic. I also bought the body shop ginger shampoo so I will try that as well and update.

on 4/8/2016 2:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my staple shampoo! I love the way it smells and it does a great job on my scalp and it doesn't dry out my hair. I do not use the conditioner in this line just the shampoo and I love that it doesn't strip my color, it actually makes it more vibrant. My hair always feels soft and it helps with my dry scalp.

My sister has around 5-7 different shampoos in rotation right now, and this is one of them so I got to try this several times. I love the scent, it's soothing but energizing at the same time. Love the way it cools my scalp and clears my head, too. Unfortunately, this dries out my hair way too much for my liking. Not inexpensive too so I shan't be purchasing my own bottle.

on 6/8/2014 7:35:00 PM

This shampoo is great....except for the fragrance!

For reference I have fine, thinning hair which needs daily washing as it gets greasy fast. I also have some damage from highlights but I don't use styling products so it's not like I need to have a deep cleaning shampoo.

It cleans my hair really well and doesn't strip my scalp, it doesn't leave my fine damaged hair feeling even more damaged, just clean and soft.

I just don't like the overwhelming mint fragrance. It burns if some of the rinse water gets into your eyes, and the fragrance lingers on my hair. I won't buy this again but if Aveda brought out an unscented version then this would be perfect.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have very fine textured hair, but it is also very thick. It is naturally straight and very oily, and almost waist length. Normally I do not have a problem with dryness anywhere but my ends. Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo left my hair smelling fantastic, but feeling like straw. When paired with the conditioner, I am not even able to run my fingers through my hair without creating huge tangles and knots. My ends look frizzed and dry, even over-processed. My hair has never been colored and almost never has heat on it, so it is certainly far from over-processed. It takes several days of recovery with heavy usage of intensive moisture conditioner for my hair to go back to it's original sheen and smoothness after one wash with Rosemary Mint shampoo and conditioner. As much as I love the wonderful aroma, Aveda disappoints with their Rosemary Mint line. Certainly not worth the price.

I'm a little surprised by the negative reviews for this shampoo! I have thick, straight, non-color treated hair that I wash about twice a week (so not very oily). I love to use this product to get out all the mousse/hair spray out of my hair after a night out on the town :) It does a better job of getting product out of my hair than other drugstore brand shampoos that I've used. I personally love the scent. It leaves my hair feeling soft and super clean. I'm on my second bottle.

However, I can see where using this shampoo often would leave some hair dry. I'll stick with using it as a great clarifying shampoo once a week or so :) I would recommend trying the trial size of this shampoo if it interests you.

Popular Shampoos