no images

price range

Reviews

3.0

3 years ago

Deep, powdery and smoky, so dry that it almost catches in my throat. I love both powder and incense in my fragrances, but this one just smells too dusty on me. I do get the references to old school fragrances like Shalimar, but whereas Shalimar is rich and rounded on me, this one is thin and scratchy. It's a very interesting fragrance, and I can see it being a signature perfume on someone it suits. There's really nothing like it. Sillage: moderate to heavy Longevity: all day on skin, and lasts on clothing until you wash them The name Fleur Oriental is a touch misleading. Although it has some floral notes, this one is pure oriental incense. You must love oriental fragrances to pull this off. It's a definite no for me, but I can appreciate the composition.

About reviewer (816 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

4 years ago

I was in a bit of a Miller Harris kick this past Fall as I found an online retailer selling their fragrances for around 30€. I bought Fleur Oriental blind because of the supposed similarities to Shalimar (I am not a fan of vanilla, but wanted something similar). There is a vague hint of Shalimar, but they aren't really close enough to be related...distant cousins, maybe. Anyhoo...Fleur Oriental is big and very, very powdery upon application. I like loud fragrances and have nothing against powdery, so it's all good. This isn't really baby-powder. This is the powder your Mom used at her dressing table. You know the one with the poofy powder puff with the satin and pink ribbon on the top. Fleur Oriental has a vintage-y feel to it. I absolutely adore it. The longevity is great. Sillage is not huge, nor is projection, but it lasts. Very feminine and pretty. I don't detect a lot of "Fleur", and am not sure what "oriental" actually smells like (see my review of SL Arabie...now that is "oriental!"), but overall this is a scent I can see keeping in my arsenal and even re-purchasing. I can't think of any modern, designer scents which smell like this, but I am sure a multitude of fragrances from the 40's & 50's had the same powdery vibe. Well done MH!

About reviewer (115 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairOther, Curly, Medium

EyesGreen

1.0

7 years ago

This is not worth the price. I'm really disappointed indeed. Cheap powdery smells which cling on your skin all the time :( One of scrubber.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinOther, Fair

HairBlack

8 years ago

This is a very distinctive oriental fragrance that is highly sophisticated, expertly crafted, and doesn't smell common in the least. I am smelling a little bit of animalic musk lurking beneath some faint spices and buttery iris? It's very vintage-smelling. This reminds me of Jackie O in a pillbox hat. Very nice but not something I would buy, as it is way too elegant for my low-maintenance lifestyle. A perfume like this demands an impeccable wardrobe to match.

About reviewer (170 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Other, Medium

EyesHazel

from

8 years ago

I find this scent amazing, it is unusual and comforting, sensual and mysterious....this perfume was bought for me by my husband, and I was a little sceptical when he told me he had bought me an oriental, and I tend to go for more sweet, vanilla scents. This fragrance made me change my mind, and I was instantly hooked, I could not stop smelling my arm all day! It is a powdery ( in the most positive sense) floral (obviously) incense, slightly sweet fragrance that is perhaps a bit hard to describe....it goes on with a punch and dries down to lovely soft perfection which lingers all day. I have this perfume in the Eau de toilette and the Parfum, and I like both, although I personally think that the Parfum version smells softer on my skin, and I tend to wear the toilette in the evening.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

9 years ago

Chocolate musk! Okay, looking for it, I can smell it as orange blossom and musk, and there's the faint tart of the flowers underneath, but it's mostly a rich creamy foody musk with a sweet tart note. Full dry down is smooth musk with an incense amber. It's powdery in a face-powder way, so powder haters (which I normally am) might want to try it sparingly. It's not baby powder or talc, more like a cross between Prada L'Eau Ambree and it's incense and Courtesan's cool clean musk with a smoked benzoin feeling like Bois d'Armenie. Definitely loving this one, and I really didn't expect to as it's definitely a powdery oriental, which should be anathema to me. Instead I find it gorgeous.

About reviewer (1714 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Fine

9 years ago

I have it in EDP and find it a stunning fragrance. It is a fragrance that I can feel and sense rather than anatomically analyse, so I'll not attempt that at all. To me, it is both demure and sophisticated, both sparkly and elegant. Very attractive and at the same time, very comfortable. In my mind, it bows to older creations like Must de Cartier - another favourite of mine- but is more contemporary with a sparse approach. On my skin, it has a transparent, almost sheer, slightly shadowy oriental approach that doesn't fall into the pitfall of orientalism. I cannot distinguish any particular floral notes but it is very well balanced with some almondy smokiness that is just a sensation rather than a clear-cut note. If I rub my wrists to each other, the musk base appears more and I understand the references to Shalimar but the true beauty is revealed when I leave it to dry on its own. From time to time, a slightly oily, essence like accord appears on my skin, but it's nothing disturbing. The first couple of times I sampled it, I loved it but thought that maybe I didn’t need it. Yet, I couldn’t take it out of my mind and now it has become something that I often reach for. It feels like I have taken a long, relaxing shower and my skin has absorbed some luxury essential oils to the point that I just naturally smell fantastic. It is worth every penny and is great for all occasions in my life. It can handle messy hair and jeans as well as glittery cocktails - which I have twice a day of course:)

About reviewer (571 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairRed

EyesHazel

9 years ago

As a woman of colour, I have longed to find a holy grail floral that felt sheer and natural, was in the oriental family and so would not fade away and, most of all ELEGANT. The florals I have inclined towards (eg: Creed's Fleurissimo, Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose & Gardenia, Patou's Joy, Guerlain's Jardins de Bagatelle) have all been very lovely but, never felt quite me and certainly was not marketed with me in mind. All of these fragrances seemed to sit outside of me as things to be admired intellectually but never really felt emotionally. Well, this MIller Harris scent took me by surprise. More a sheer Bal a Versailles, this fragrance does not make me feel like an impostor. An added bonus is that in all its concentrations it can become a HG and still ensure I do not get bored or find myself in a situation where it really inappropriate (eg: playing tennis in the Hamptons). Let me explain: The Eau Parfumée - a massive 200ml splash which has the citrus turned up a notch. Ideal for summer days or where fragrance should be kept to a whisper (eg: airplanes and funerals or indeed playing tennis in the hot sun where, for example, something like Shalimar would seem out of place. For me at least). Eau de Toilette - when the volume and presence can be turned up a for an elegant afternoon or dinner date. Parfum - lavish dinner or black tie affair or when the cold weather calls for comfort, soothing and cozy cashmere like notes. Layering - adding a good citrus enhances the sheer quality of this fragrance or adding, say, a good vanilla, the warmth and coziness. I am in heaven with the many permutations that will keep this perfume so interesting for me and is a definite winner in my book.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinNormal, Dark, Warm

HairBlack, Relaxed, Fine

2.0

10 years ago

Occassionally, there is something in a scent that makes it smell like a talcum powder bomb on my skin, but glorious from a bit farther away. This is the case with Fleur Oriental. If I keep my hand down on my desk, I smell this beautiful spicy floral bouquet, with a creamy touch of glorious silken bright citrus notes. If I put my nose close to my hand, it is repellent talc. Such a shame, but this is unwearable for me.

About reviewer (533 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Medium

10 years ago

I have to agree with Katie Puckrick's video about this glorious scent! It is achingly gorgeous, enough like Shalimar to recommend it to me in the first place, but different enough to mean I have to have both! I don't get any one individual note from this, just a seamless beauty that twists and turns along its journey - which thankfully, is a long one. Oriental, incense, powder, it is a never ending circle of one following another and yet ever present in each turn. A femme fatale fragrance for sure.

About reviewer (30 reviews)

Age56 & Over