BH Cosmetics Blacklight Highlight - 6 Color Palette

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I absolutely love this palette. It’s hyperpigmented and you don’t need much. Very little fall out. Stays on all day.

I was pleasantly surprised by this. I use the Blacklight palette for highlighters and eye shadows.
The main color I use for highlighting is Electra. It's a light gold/white. I occasionally use Strobe, which is a straight up shimmery white color but it can be a bit stark.
The rest of the colors I mainly use as eye shadow. I've used the pink, purple, and blue to make a pastel look and really liked it. I love shimmery pastels and I've found most pastel shadow palettes to be matte.
I do find the pigmentation to be fairly strong on the face but need to be built up (or applied over a base) on the eyes. I actually have the Moon Child by ABH (that this palette dupes) and I reach for BH more. If you just want to try out the color highlight trend, this is a cheaper option to test the waters.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This is an excellent palette, with a range of 'unusual' highlight shades that will appeal to many people, regardless of their experience with highlights. People who are used to using unusual highlights will love it because of its range of colours, the formula, and the size of the pans; people who want to start using highlights beyond the usual gold and white gold will find most of the colours accessible but also some colours to experiment with as they get more confident.

The powders themselves are smooth, pigmented, and very easy to blend. The quality of the powders is much higher than I expected from this brand - I could see a high-level brand using the same formula, just with more luxurious packaging. I only have to very lightly tap the surface of the powder with my brush to get a lot of pigment on the bristles. Once applied, all six shades are very bright and shiny on the skin, without being glittery. You can get a metallic look very easily if you apply just a bit more product. In fact I think the only downside of this formula is that it is very easy to overdo the highlight as you only need the tiniest bit of powder to get a very intense effect. The highlight lasts all day and doesn't fade, nor does it turn to glitter after a few hours.

It's a bit hard to see the real shades of the powders through pictures, so here's a rundown of what I see when I apply them to the skin:
ELECTRA: pale gold
LASER: white gold with a mint green shift
KWEEN: what you see in the pan, a light icy blue
STROBE: pure silver
ON POINT: darker pink with a lot of shimmer, would look nice on top of blush
ILLUSION: light pinky purple duochrome

The pans are massive and I honestly don't think I'll ever hit pan on them. This might be a downfall for someone who likes to throw away their products after they pass their expiry date - I don't do this with powders and will keep them for years until I notice a smell or a change in texture, but if I did stick to recommended use dates then I don't think that I would get full use of the palette before I had to toss it. I think this would be great for a performer or someone who uses highlight a lot, or even a makeup artist who isn't worried about being seen with a budget brand product!

The palette is sturdy, although it's not the most luxe looking palette on the market. But it does the job and it has a large mirror.

Overall I am so happy with this palette! The quality is excellent, the colours are beautiful, and the price is absolutely incredible considering the quality of the product. I would recommend that a beginner get this palette before they splash out on a more expensive one, because they will get a fantastic product if they decide that they love the shades, and they will save money if they decide that unusual colours aren't for them.

on 12/28/2017 1:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was very excited to receive this in the mail but found myself quite underwhelmed. The formula if these is quite soft and not very refined, and because of this and their extreme shine, the shades emphasis texture quite a bit. I have scars on one of my cheek bones from childhood cat trauma, and while I normally don't notice them, this definitely emphasizes the scaring. That being said, I always look for the positives in a product, and this is a decent highlighting palette. Using a very light hand, you may be able to achieve a softer glow (I failed at this) but it is quite intense. The colors are also gorgeous, definitely nothing wrong in that department

on 12/24/2017 6:47:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought it for the colors and I was not disappointed, the shades feel very nice when swatched. They are not powdery and are very highlighty

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This palette is incredible! It is almost an exact dupe for the Moonchild Glow Kit. I just received it in the mail today and immediately searched it. I was super impressed! I am currently wearing the shade Illusion (an iridescent purple) and have received so many compliments on it. There's a YouTuber called Jens Makeup Adventures who does a swatch comparison between Blacklight and Moonchild (pasted below) and the only shade that isn't almost identical is Kween (the irridescent blue). The shades are very pigmented, buildable and can also be blended out to a more sheer finish. I'm considering buying a second one just to have as a backup in case they discontinue this before I run out.