Maybelline Colossal Spider Effect

Maybelline Colossal Spider Effect

3.1

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I’m laughing at myself. WHY did I buy this? Why would anyone? Aren’t “spider eyes” the clumpy mascara look we’re all trying to avoid? Honestly, I think I made the purchase out some sort of masochistic/macabre form of curiosity—I wanted to see whether this was the horror story I imagined it would be Not a recommended way to spend your money unless you’re a beauty vlogger looking to share a laugh with your fans. Again, the only person I’m laughing at is myself. I’m not a vlogger. Bethany, why??? Smh!

So! Moving on! It wasn’t quite as bad as I expected, but considering my frightening expectations, that’s not saying much! If you ever so softly apply a very thin layer after wiping most of the product off the hard little wand, you can sometimes be lucky enough to achieve an acceptable look...until the stuff flakes and you have black crumbs all over your cheeks, that is. BUT! if you try and apply this the way you normally apply mascara, my, oh my, you will have yourself a mess.

As I mentioned, it flakes. And yes, it clumps. Clumps, clumps, clumps, just as it seemingly promises to do. Also, the formula is rather wet, so boy oh boy, does it ever smudge. And run. Basically, it does everything you don’t want a mascara to do.

Is this a practical joke, Maybelline?

Curious to know what the thought was behind the marketing here and to see how long this stays on the shelves.

on 9/30/2017 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I really like this...I rub a bit if on the Kleenex...(the wand) My lashes point down...this really helped them stand up and to be fuller...I will buy more..

on 4/30/2017 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I was having high hopes for this mascara, but the wand is awful. It doesn't do anything but give you ultra clumps. Was pretty disappointed with this one especially because I love this brand. It felt very heavy on the eyes and I had to go over it with a clean eyelash want to remove the clumps. It was rather messy.

I love the look of dark, full and voluminous eyelashes. This mascara is very black, does give good length, but not much volume. On the lower lashes it is a little clumpy , but this is Spider effects so that's expected. I'm not a big fan of the wand. It has a strange shape that makes it difficult to get your eyelashes even. I would rate this higher if it gave some volume , but I do enjoy this product. It is around $7 so I will probably try other mascaras but I can't rule out repurchase. If you like the look of dramatic lashes.. try this .

I am in love with this! It definitely delivers what it promises! And oh my goodness it looks so amazing being out your lower lashes. I use 2 coats of this and 1 coat of colossal volume--people ALWAYS compliment my lashes and ask where I got them done. Saves me from spending a fortune now getting falsies at the salon. FU*K yes. Tip: be sure to use the tip to get in deep with the corner and lower lashes. You'll look like a doll :)

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I DO NOT like this. I love a couple other Maybelline mascaras, but this one flakes into my eyes and under my eyes onto my cheeks, clumps TOO much, and it does nothing for length. The brush is weird since it's only one-sided. Stubby, clumpy, flakey lashes :( Good thing it was a twofer package with the other Maybelline mascara I loved, so this wasn't a loss.

on 2/20/2017 4:05:00 PM

I know with the word 'spider' with this mascara, one should expect some clumps, which this does deliver. However it really does the job to make your lashes look long and thick. But the clumping is too much to be used on lower lashes because it leaves so many globs. Use a more basic mascara or small brush for the bottoms. I do use this on days I want my lashes to pop.

on 2/12/2017 6:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Initially, I didn't like this mascara. I found that it was making my lashes stick together but not in a thick, voluminous way. USER ERROR, my bad. This mascara is great if you truly want dark, dramatic volume. In order to achieve this, however, you've got to twirl the brush while applying. Wait a few seconds before adding any coats though, as this is a pretty wet formula. I love that this stays all day but is still easy to remove at the end of the day. :)

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

This is actually a very decent mascara. It was very clumpy at the beginning but the formula dried out a little after a week and became pretty easy to use. The brush takes a little getting used to, but you can definitely get great volume with it. I had the WP version but it is beginning to flake toward the end of its life. The formula could use some work but over all, a pretty solid DS buy.

on 1/20/2017 11:06:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I don't think people who read the name of the product realized that this creates the "spider lash" effect, which is clumpy! Its an acquired taste in style, really. I like reaally heavy mascara but even this was a little too thick. It would clump my lashes into one long stick. HOWEVER, if you make the effort to wipe as much product off the wand and back into the bottle, you can get a great spider lash!