Paula's Choice CALM Redness Relief SPF30 Mineral Moisturizer N/D

Paula's Choice CALM Redness Relief SPF30 Mineral Moisturizer N/D

4.1

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 3.85, Zinc Oxide 3.12. Other Ingredients: Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickener), Isononyl Isononanoate (skin conditioning agent), Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil (non-fragrant emollient plant oil), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (emollient thickeners), Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol (slip agents), Cetearyl Alcohol (thickening agent), Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), VP/Eicosene Copolymer (film-forming agent), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols (antioxidant fatty acid), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritant), Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-identical/repairing ingredients), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Hydrogenated Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), Ubiquinone (coenzyme Q10/antioxidant), Ceramide NG (skin-repairing ingredient), Methicone (silicone slip agent), Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12 (cell-communicating ingredient), PEG-10 Dimethicone (silicone thickener), Cucumis Sativa (Cucumber) Fruit Extract (antioxidant), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (emollient/skin-repairing ingredient),Tribehenin (skin conditioning agent), PEG-10 Phytosterol (skin conditioning agent), Sorbitan Stearate (emulsifier), Polyhydroxystearic Acid (thickener), Alumina (opacifying/suspending agent), Polysorbate-20 (emulsifier), Aluminum Stearate (thickening/opacifying agent), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Caprylyl Glycol (preservative), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin (preservatives).

on 4/9/2018 9:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I must have super-special baby's butt sensitive skin because this product stings!

I recently started using the Calm line and I love every product in it except for this sunscreen. It stings! It makes my skin look red and feel irritated. I have worn this for about a week and I think that's enough time to give it a fair trial. Also, it is greasy, heavy and oily yet makes my skin feel dry. Truly a perplexing product.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

My actual review is 3.5 lippies. This is a good daily moisturizer with physical sunscreen, but I just didn't love it. It is supposed to have soothing properties, but I couldn't really tell much of a difference in terms of irritation or redness reduction between using this moisturizer and the other SPF moisturizer I was using from Paula's Choice. If you are sensitive to chemical sunscreens or just want to avoid them entirely then this is a good choice, and the lotion itself is very light and feels pretty nice on the skin. I find the "redness relief" claim to be pretty inaccurate as IMHO this is more for maintaining less redness. I don't think I would repurchase as there are other SPF moisturizers that I like more that don't irritate my sensitive/rosacea-prone skin.

I have searched high and low for mineral-based, physical sunscreens that are effective but still play well with skincare and makeup products. I have tried Juice Beauty, MyChelle, Drunk Elephant, Kiss My Face, Devita, etc., but always return to this product from Paula's Choice. The other ones all are too thick, leave too much white cast, or pill up when I layer them over my skincare products. This one applies smoothly and has never pilled up or balled up on me. The barely-there scent is a very faint cucumber or fresh smell (not floral or perfume-y). Did not make me break out. I have been using this as my main sunscreen for almost two years.

If you truly have dry skin as I do, I would say that this product should be used solely as a sunscreen, NOT a moisturizer. You can't skip your moisturizer. Rub this in generously OVER your moisturizer and wait a couple minutes for it to sink in. Don't forget your neck.

If you have oily skin, you probably wouldn't like this because it leaves your face dewy. You might want to try the sunscreen from the same line, but the one for normal to oily skin.

The cost, $29 for two ounces, is leaning toward pricey. It helps to buy when Paula's Choice is holding a sale or you have a promo code. If you are a first-time buyer on Paula's Choice, you can use this link to get $10 off the product: https://goo.gl/EJlLhQ. Right now they are running a promo code (MOMSCHOICE) for 20% off one item and free shipping. So you can get this for $13.20 right now. Full disclosure: I get a $10 credit from them if you use the link I just shared.

I have repurchased this sunscreen many times because out of all the ones I have tried, it just works the best.

on 4/20/2017 3:31:00 AM

It provides my skin with gentle but really effective sun protection and enough moisture - no irritation, breakouts and on top of that, it makes my skin look radiant without looking greasy. Unfortunately though, it feels slightly sticky or waxy on my skin, like a layer that never quite sinks in. For that reason, I would probably not buy the fullsize (I uused a few samples).

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I'm always on the prowl for a good mineral sunscreen that moisturizes but doesn't break me out or irritate my sensitive skin with excellent ingredients. The added anti redness claims is what drove me to try this product. And let me just say, I LOVE it. It does exactly what I'm looking for. I look forward to putting on a sunscreen everyday now. It smells heavenly and calming. Almost a mix of cucumber and oat? Nothing overwhelming though and it dissipates as you apply it and then completely gone once it soaks in (which can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes for me). At first I wasn't sure about it, but after continued use I do believe I see a reduction in my redness when I apply it. I can also reapply throughout the day without it clogging my pores, Yay! On days I wear makeup I make sure I use a liquid and powder foundation with spf to make sure I'm applying an spf liberally.
A+ Paula's choice! Will be repurchasing once I run out, which will be soon! :)

on 1/26/2017 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Wow this is amazing! I now enjoy putting on sunscreen daily, which has never happened before. This product is a great moisturizer (unlike most mineral sunscreens which I find quite drying and which accentuate any flaky areas). I particularly enjoy applying it around my eyes as an eye cream, though I do use it all over my face. It smells great - like cucumber, from the natural ingredients - it's a subtle scent that doesn't linger in case that's a concern. It does have a slightly shiny finish but nothing that a bit of powder can't handle. Paula, please never discontinue this gem!

BTW, I also got a sample of this product in the combination/oily skin formulation, and I didn't like that one as much. It didn't have the nice cucumber scent.

on 1/11/2017 11:41:00 AM

This is a great sunscreen.I have combo skin but wanted something slightly moisturizing for winter and this is perfect.
It feels great on the skin, has a light gel-cream texture, no white cast left, and doesn't irritate my eyes. it's not oily or thick. Can't tell yet if it's helping with redness, but it feels soothing.

ETA: This did break me out slightly after a while, but not enough to make me stop using this. I just used a bit less to prevent breakouts. Will try the one for oily skin next.

on 2/10/2016 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love the silkiness and soothing nature of this. It applies like a dream, you can immediately move on to makeup or nothing at all. My skin is at peace with this whole new line of PC's calm for dry skin. I have extremely reactive skin and use retin a at night, I don't have any problems with this line. My skin has calmed down and isn't red due to my rosacea, I started using this a few weeks ago.