Glossier Balm Dotcom

3.5

Not tested on animals

Petrolatum, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Beeswax/Cera Alba/Cire D'Abeille, Lanolin, Dipalmithoyl Hydroxyproline, Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Tocopherol, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I have to admit when it comes to lip balm unless they are horrid, I tend to buy based on what smell it is and if I like the texture. The rose version is absolutely divine and despite it being a more pricey alternative to the average lip balm, I really like the texture. It's thicker and less slippery than others I've used in the past but also isn't sticky. As for a tint, I imagine if your lips were less pink, it'd give a slight healthy glow to them but I am bless with overly natural pink lips so didn't notice a big difference.

If it's in your budget, I'd definitely recommend buying it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This product was a nice surprise for me! I've tried a lot of lip balms out there, and frankly I don't expect this to heal any sort of cracked or dry lips because I already have lip balms that do this for me and these are products that often don't use petrolatum as its main ingredient. Petrolatum is great at protecting from further dryness or from windburn etc, but in my experience it isn't too healing in lip balm form.

But what I've liked about this is the consistency. It's not too thin that my lips feel unprotected, but not too sticky like a lip gloss (Lanolips, I'm looking at you lol). It lasts all day too unless if I eat something very oily, which makes sense due to some of the occlusive ingredients included in this. My lips feel very protected from the cold and wind whilst wearing this throughout the day.

I have the cherry variant which is supposed to be tinted, and the tint does come up initially. But it fades away over time which sucks, but I'm fine with it because I'm using this mainly for lip balm purposes. The tint is just an add on for me. Do I want to get another one? Yes! Maybe the birthday balm one because heard that one smells really nice! The only thing that deters me away from getting this product is it's not easily available for me - it doesn't ship to my country. For something as basic as a lip balm, I'd prefer it to be something I can get to easily.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Got this in a ipsy bag in the coconut scent. I adore the scent and the cute tube. The product itself does remind me of a nicer scented version of aquaphor. It does last slightly longer on my lips than aquaphor does but not sure I would repurchase this because I don't think the price tag is justified when there are cheaper similar products.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I received a nice sized sample of this in my Ipsy bag. Cute little tube packaging. I have the “coconut” scent although it doesn’t smell like coconut to me. Not real coconut, nor the candy or lotion fragrance everyone knows. I think it smells like sweet buttered popcorn, but I like the smell so it doesn’t bother me. It’s moisturizing enough, it feels like a thinner version of my Lanolin, and I’m sure it costs way more. I can say that I did not look up the price for this, but if it costs more than $5, I would say that it is overpriced. Because I like the scent and I do find it moisturizing, it it were $5 or under, I’d purchase. If not, I wouldn’t. Oh, there’s no real flavor in case anyone was curious.

I love a lot of other Glossier products and wanted to love the balm dotcom but I just couldn't get past the fact that it's essentially over-priced Aquaphor. I have the coconut one and while the smell is really nice, I doubt I'd buy this again as it isn't exceptionally moisturizing and you don't get a whole lot of product for the price and performance.

I have it in coconut and love the smell. It’s more the „real“ coconut, rather than Bounty filling. The ingredients are pretty basic, I don’t feel it really nourishes my lips like the NUXE honey one does. But it’s nice on the days when you just need a nice barrier on your lips. The consistency is perfect in my opinion - not runny and creamy, no chunks of lip balm sticking to the dryer parts of the lips.

I am on accutane right now and find that it is moisturizing enough for me, but I haven’t suffered lots of excessive dryness like a lot of people have.

Upsides:
moisturizing
The flavored ones smell divine
Does the job

Downsides:
Harder to get all the product out when running low

If you tempted, then here’s a code for 10% off —> http://bff.glossier.com/h0Bqd

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have the original, birthday and 2 mint balms & love them all. They moisturise my lips well & you only need a small amount. However, I can't help but feel they are very expensive - £10 for 15ml is a hefty price tag considering they seem very similar to vaseline (just thicker & less shiny). I think I would buy more in the future as they are good lip balms, and buying the 3 pack for £25 does make them slightly cheaper. I am not sure about the 'universal' salve claim, as all except the original are flavoured - most are colourless, but I still wouldn't put any of them anywhere other than my lips

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

i was so so excited to get this stuff in the mail. it came it a cute baby pink package with stickers and my two balm dot coms. i got cherry and birthday balm. i just wanted a nice lip balm with a tint to wear when i have no make up on and i had heard so much about this cult classic. after a couple of weeks the cute packaging turned ugly with all of the colors rubbed off. i also had no clue this product contains lanolin. right away i was disappointed.. it gave 0 shine or nourishment to my lips.. it just felt like a weird film on my lips. i kept using it before bed even though my lips werent very dried to begin with. a month later, i have stretched, raw, almost chemical burns on my lips. i have never had this reaction in my life. it is painful and uncomfortable and nothing is helping soothe it. not to mention this horrible product was like $12 per tiny bottle. i threw these two balms out and am back to using my plain old smiths rose salve. never again.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I don't understand this product. I got swept up in all the Glossier hype and bought this without checking the ingredients, but this is a petroleum jelly based balm, which explains why I felt no moisturising effects whatsoever. I feel like it just stays on the surface of the lips and doesn't penetrate through. I find it doesn't do much moisturising at all, my lips stayed as cracked as it would be without any balm on. It's a slippy texture that's a little more sticky than what I'd like. Not as sticky as a gloss but definitely more than a usual lip balm. Because of its texture, I would definitely not recommend putting it on dry skin on the rest of your body since it doesn't penetrate (which is the nature of petrolatum anyway, it creates a layer on top of your skin so moisture doesn't escape, but provides no moisturising properties on its own) This way it's more likely to be rubbed off by your clothes or your own body.

I'm also not a big fan of the applicator (actually, I hate it). It is tiny so it's not convenient for the lips, doesn't get good coverage on one swipe. The product also easily gets into the grooves of where the cap screws on, making it hard to get off, plus it's also unsightly and unhygienic. And because the applicator is so small, your lips inevitably end up getting scratched on said grooves of the screw on bit, which is really unpleasant when you've already got dry and cracked lips that hurt. The only way I can see this work is by using fingers. Which defeats the point of a tube packaging.

Nothing about this product is good. I guess if you like petroleum jelly in your products and that's something you've experienced has worked for you, then go for it I suppose? In my opinion, that just makes this is very fancy overpriced version of Vaseline. If you're thinking of getting this product, I would recommend just going down to your local shop and getting Vaseline, it's pretty much exactly the same thing.

Video Reviews & Tutorials