Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

on 4/23/2018 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Beautiful fragrance but it doesn't last at all... Too expensive for such a small sillage and longevity. Thankfully I was able to find something similar that would get me an alluring scent with lasting power. Coco Mademoiselle Intense. Unexpected, yes.

I got a sample of Black Opium, tried it, loved it! It is a sweet coffee vanilla blend - to my untrained nose anyway! I paid €57 for a 50ml edp bottle. The bottle is decorative but I keep my perfumes in a drawer so that doesn’t matter.
I have never had a YSL perfume before and am impressed! I don’t usually go for sweet scents but this is fun!

The fragrance is okay, it seems like there are a thousand more similar. I like a lighter more natural scent. This scent is one that would give a headache after a while.

on 1/31/2018 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love the smell of this perfume sooo much but I’ve had a massive allergic reaction to this product. I’ve never been allergic to a perfume before but this causes my chest to go all scaley, dries out, scabs up and feels like I have serious sun burn. I couldn’t work out what was causing it for ages as it didn’t come up until the day after I use it but it’s exactly where I spray it every time. Gutted

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I swear I keep smelling this perfume everywhere and I'm starting to despise it. It doesn't help that YSL keeps advertising this as some sort of edgy, "cool-girls-only" scent when in reality it smells like all the other sweet, ultra-feminine licorice-heavy gourmands out there. The only thing that sets it apart is the coffee note but to me it's more of a teasing, fleeting wisp of watered down coffee masked with too many spoonfuls of sugar. It lacks the deep, smoky, robust aroma that an actual cup of joe has. Also, I think it's just my skin chemistry but the coffee note disappears very quickly and is overtaken by the licorice, which is a note I personally don't care for. By that point it's essentially Lolita Lempicka with a darker, less sharply sweet drydown, and that one is a mere fraction of the cost.

Not a bad fragrance by any means, but I do think it's a bit overrated.

on 10/12/2016 5:24:00 PM

This stuff smells so yummy. It's a dark sexy intoxicating smell. I get headaches from a lot of perfumes but not this one. My husband can't help but walk up and take a deep whiff whenever I wear this. It makes me feel like a goddess!

on 5/28/2016 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm liking this new YSL Black Opium edp. I get mostly coffee and vanilla, but also liqueur and chocolate, with hints of jasmine and patchouli. Definitely the best coffee fragrance I've encountered, and longer lasting than my testdrive of the current A*men Pure Coffee. A cozy, sexy fragrance. I think men could wear Black Opium too.

Update: I recently got the Black Opium body lotion to go with the EDP. The body lotion is highly fragranced, the fragrance is true to the EDP, however the lotion is thin-textured and full of silicones, so overall it's quite dry within a couple of seconds -- don't expect it to be thick, moisturizing, or have any feeling of oils in it like a traditional fragranced body cream.

on 4/2/2016 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Not so nice

on 4/1/2016 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to preface my first perfume review with this: I'm not a perfume expert. I don't profess to be knowledgeable on perfumes as I am about skincare/makeup. At best, I'm just someone who likes to have fun with beauty-related things and doesn't have intense knowledge of the subject, but this is the first perfume to really captivate my interest on the regular.

According to the Sephora website, YSL Black Opium is listed as having the following as notes: "Coffee Accord, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood Essence, Patchouli Essense." Now, to my limited understanding, certain notes hit everyone different because of the makeup of chemicals in your skin. Some people might have stronger patchouli notes, others coffee, etc. On me, the orange blossom is particularly strong at first before going into a mix of the cedarwood and an almost vanilla smell, which is a good thing as I'm not particularly fond of patchouli. I do not get any of the coffee notes.

The longevity of this is so-so for me. It lasts for a good 15-20 minutes before only lightly remaining, though, even if it's barely there, I can still smell it on me if I hold my wrist up to my nose about 7 hours later. When I initially spray it, I do find myself getting a lot of compliments on it.

While this is my favorite perfume I own, I don't wear it every day. For me, it's something I wear for if I need to get ramped up for something professional (presentation, big bosses are visiting, etc.) or romantic (date night, etc.) I am just about finished with the travel spray version, but have already purchased the 1 oz. version.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got a tester that was enough for me to try it about 5 times. Well, it is sexy and fun. BUT. It disappears very quickly and the very last note that lingers around feels totally fake and synthetic (this was the deal breaker for me). It is exactly the note you can smell in a Warm vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works, which is about 10 times cheaper, if not more. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to smell like half of women out there. Going back to Chanel Mademoiselle EDT (not EDP)

Popular Fragrances