Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I swear I keep smelling this perfume everywhere and I'm starting to despise it. It doesn't help that YSL keeps advertising this as some sort of edgy, "cool-girls-only" scent when in reality it smells like all the other sweet, ultra-feminine licorice-heavy gourmands out there. The only thing that sets it apart is the coffee note but to me it's more of a teasing, fleeting wisp of watered down coffee masked with too many spoonfuls of sugar. It lacks the deep, smoky, robust aroma that an actual cup of joe has. Also, I think it's just my skin chemistry but the coffee note disappears very quickly and is overtaken by the licorice, which is a note I personally don't care for. By that point it's essentially Lolita Lempicka with a darker, less sharply sweet drydown, and that one is a mere fraction of the cost.

Not a bad fragrance by any means, but I do think it's a bit overrated.

on 10/12/2016 5:24:00 PM

This stuff smells so yummy. It's a dark sexy intoxicating smell. I get headaches from a lot of perfumes but not this one. My husband can't help but walk up and take a deep whiff whenever I wear this. It makes me feel like a goddess!

on 5/28/2016 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I'm liking this new YSL Black Opium edp. I get mostly coffee and vanilla, but also liqueur and chocolate, with hints of jasmine and patchouli. Definitely the best coffee fragrance I've encountered, and longer lasting than my testdrive of the current A*men Pure Coffee. A cozy, sexy fragrance. I think men could wear Black Opium too.

Update: I recently got the Black Opium body lotion to go with the EDP. The body lotion is highly fragranced, the fragrance is true to the EDP, however the lotion is thin-textured and full of silicones, so overall it's quite dry within a couple of seconds -- don't expect it to be thick, moisturizing, or have any feeling of oils in it like a traditional fragranced body cream.

on 4/2/2016 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Not so nice

on 4/1/2016 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I have to preface my first perfume review with this: I'm not a perfume expert. I don't profess to be knowledgeable on perfumes as I am about skincare/makeup. At best, I'm just someone who likes to have fun with beauty-related things and doesn't have intense knowledge of the subject, but this is the first perfume to really captivate my interest on the regular.

According to the Sephora website, YSL Black Opium is listed as having the following as notes: "Coffee Accord, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood Essence, Patchouli Essense." Now, to my limited understanding, certain notes hit everyone different because of the makeup of chemicals in your skin. Some people might have stronger patchouli notes, others coffee, etc. On me, the orange blossom is particularly strong at first before going into a mix of the cedarwood and an almost vanilla smell, which is a good thing as I'm not particularly fond of patchouli. I do not get any of the coffee notes.

The longevity of this is so-so for me. It lasts for a good 15-20 minutes before only lightly remaining, though, even if it's barely there, I can still smell it on me if I hold my wrist up to my nose about 7 hours later. When I initially spray it, I do find myself getting a lot of compliments on it.

While this is my favorite perfume I own, I don't wear it every day. For me, it's something I wear for if I need to get ramped up for something professional (presentation, big bosses are visiting, etc.) or romantic (date night, etc.) I am just about finished with the travel spray version, but have already purchased the 1 oz. version.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got a tester that was enough for me to try it about 5 times. Well, it is sexy and fun. BUT. It disappears very quickly and the very last note that lingers around feels totally fake and synthetic (this was the deal breaker for me). It is exactly the note you can smell in a Warm vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works, which is about 10 times cheaper, if not more. I don't mind the price, but I don't want to smell like half of women out there. Going back to Chanel Mademoiselle EDT (not EDP)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love the bottle, I love the scent, I love absolutely everything about this fragrance!!!
If I ever ran out of this perfume, I would definitely repurchase. I don't understand the bad reviews for Black Opium, but maybe it's just proof that perfume is subjective. This is why, if you ever think about buying this fragrance, I recommend you smell it and test it beforehand.
Overall, my signature scent!

on 12/22/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I am really surprised to see such low ratings for this new perfume. But hey, that totally goes to show scents are subjective, right?

I couldn't stand the original Opium scent from back in the day (ok maybe they still sell it, I dunno LOL). But when this came out got a sample of it and was blown away. I ended up loving it so much ordered a bottle the very next day...This is a very sexy scent. Per the description there are coffee and vanilla notes, as well as a few different woodsy layers. I don't get the coffee or too any heavy woodsy notes (such as sandalwood and patchouli), which to be quite honest I am very happy about as I find them too masculine. Also the vanilla is quite tame and definitely not overpowering either. What I do get is a mixture of both spicy and sweet which I can't quite put my finger on, but LOVE.

on 12/17/2015 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Unfortunately I didn't like this and really wanted to. Was really hoping you could smell the coffee notes in this one, but the coffee just meekly wanders in behind the strong fruity flowers and sits shyly in the corner before it slips out of the room unoticed. Honestly this smells like every other popular perfume on the market. La vie a belle, Armani Si, and flower bomb. If u already own one of those perfumes I would spend money on this one.

on 10/25/2015 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Black Opium to my nose is not terrible by any means, it's actually "nice". I'd give it 2.5 stars, rounding up to 3. Nice as in pleasant, inoffensive, but also rather forgettable. The fact that it is nice smelling is definitely not enough for me to purchase any scent. That said, I can imagine that Black Opium is a crowd pleaser and that's completely fine. The only gripe I have with this new fragrance is the "legacy" of its name. Opium - these are big shoes to fill for a worthy successor! It certainly got my attention and I imagine many people familiar with the Original were curious to smell this new creation. I have sampled the original Opium back in the days and while I found it too heavy to wear it myself I recognized Opium as a masterpiece of its time. Black Opium in my view does not possess much if any uniqueness. Sadly, the famous name was (mis-)used for marketing purposes only.

Popular Fragrances