Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium

3.6

on 2/20/2016 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This has become my "school fragrance", a perfume I wear when I go to school, because it stays close to the skin. It has somehow grew on me, I like the sweet scent, the vanilla, patchouli and cedar, topped with jasmine are really a nice blend and the pear and orange blossom give it a little "lift". It's not a unique scent, but very likeable, warm, sweet and feminine and goes well with my body chemistry. However, I can't seem to smell the coffee in this one, even though it's stated that it's one of the dominating scents in this fragrance. It is not my signature fragrance, which is Serge Lutens "un bois vanille", but it's good to switch now and then. So it's 4 lippies from me =)

UPDATE: I developed a horrid allergic reaction from this perfume. After several months of usage I suddenly end up with a red itchy rash on my neck and wrists (exactly where I put it), so I had to return it. It took me a month until the rash was gone (despite using medicated prescpripted cream).

on 11/8/2015 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I tested it and it's Yuck !!! So plastic to me.

on 10/13/2015 2:18:00 PM

I still have a bottle of the original Opium, which IMO is a masterpiece and was ground-breaking in its day. I was outraged and heart-broken when I heard they reformulated it. I love the original scent. I use it sparingly so as not to run out of it.

I came back from Europe a couple of weeks ago and I tried this at the Duty-free shops. I tried it several times and at different airports to give it a fair go. As someone else said, this is an insult to the original scent and yes, if I were Yves Saint Laurent, I would come back from the netherworld to haunt the bastards who reformulated a wonderful oriental creation.

This concoction is the typical floral, sugary-sweet, run-of-the-mill, industrial vanilla, Eau de Mallrat that are a dime a dozen anywhere these days. Why don't they just sell it as something else?

Of course, the Age of Mediocrity (our present days) and the scentphobes rage against the original. But I ask you, if the original was so bad, why did the manufacturers name this new farce after it? I mean, if the original was so bad they had to reformulate it it stands to reason they wouldn't have named it after so offending an oldie, now would they? And yet ...

Look, I'm not saying that things should never change. But change does not necessarily mean you have to completely do away with everything that came before it. If that's the case, then let's get rid of all the paintings, music, books, etc, that came before the year 2000, shall we. Let's close all the museums, art galleries, bookstores that carry "old stuff." I hope more than one of you here think that would be completely bigoted, ignorant, and ridiculously discriminating.

What I mean is, go ahead and have your flowery, non-offensive, young, politically correct scents, if you want. But leave the classics alone for those of us who still like them. We too are entitled to our strong, "headache-inducing," "little old lady," "80s powerhouse" scents, if that's what we prefer. YOU don't have to buy them.

But of course, the manufacturers are all about making more and more money while spending less and less of it on their products. Anyway, people will always buy them, as long as they are marketed as "young." That's why I call this the Age of Mediocrity. Everything must be the same. Nothing/nobody must stand out and be unique (except celebrities, the worst mediocrities of all, who "stand out" for all the wrong reasons).

Forgive the rant, but I feel very strongly about this.

on 9/11/2015 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a huge miss. Basically the same as LVEB from Lancome, Flowerbomb, Bon Bon - they are all made by L'Oreal. Not an interesting scent, but sickly sweet (headache inducing).

on 8/2/2015 9:30:00 PM

I tested Black Opium at Sephora.
Firstly, Black Opium is a TRAVESTY in the name of Yves St Laurent who has probably turnend in his grave more than once since 2009 and the reformulation of Opium the original .Secondly, the bottle is extremely tacky .
Thirdly, the fragrance is as dull as ditchwater.
The only interesting element is the opening and then it goes downhill rapidly....all the way into DULL .SWEET, BORING AND like every other new fragrance trying to catch customers with sweet and tacky cheap notes in their scents.
L'Oreal have ruined the name of Opium in my eyes.
What is worse ...is seeing really glowing reviews for this scent on the Sephora website. Black is the the new noir and noir is the new black .Hah .It is all nonsense.

on 6/4/2015 8:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

One word. Yuck. Smells cheap.

on 4/27/2015 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff smells like something my grandma would wear. Seriously, if you aren't 60+ I can't imagine anyone liking this.

I wore this yesterday and it caused an awful migraine and just was an awful fragrance, I even had a friend comment that I smelled like an old lady. For me...I am disappointed I spent any money on this product. :( I plan to give this to my grandma as I think she's the only one in my family who will like it, seriously...it reminds me of "White Diamonds". Blah.

on 3/25/2015 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I want to begin my review by saying that this is NOTHING like the original Opium so if you're buying this with the unbeatable original in mind you'll be very disappointed.
Black Opium is nothing new. It's a 'floral' gourmand. If you've smelled la vie est belle or flowerbomb then you pretty much know how this will play out. It starts out sharp with a blast of citrus that is quickly overtaken, covered, then promptly buried by jammy sticky goey sweetness. The 'florals' are nondescript, jasmin? Gardenia? Huh? This is follwed by a tiny whiff of something creamy & when I concentrate really hard i smell something reminiscent of those hazelnut coffees you buy from the coffee machines at hospital waiting rooms.indeed the entire impression i get from this perfume is sugar, sugar & more ingredients that emphasize that this entire concotion is supposed to be SWEET. Then i start getting a strong clean laundry musk. The drydown is the usual vanilla, amber drydown that we've had over & over again. The entire perfume is a case of deja vu. Some elements of Coco noir with less focus, some elements of black orchid with the coffee note idea, lots of Angel influence with the gourmand inspiration. I really don't like this perfume plus it smells cheap & plastic yet it costs too much.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

As a periodic fan of YSL's original Opium (I have gone through several phases of enjoying the scent in my 48 years), I was eager to try the new release Black Opium. I saw this in France at Sephora six weeks ago but forgot to test as I was overwhelmed by all of the new scent releases. Fast forward to yesterday. A large tester bottle was sitting at my local drugstore. I was attracted to the gorgeous bottle and had visions of a dark, mysterious, sensual fragrance inside. I pulled up my sleeve and doused my arm without regard for the safety or well being of those around me. Immediately, I was choked by a cloud of chocolate. Not dark, rich, decadent chocolate...no, more the sickly sweet Snickers bar variety. "Ok", I thought..."this version starts off sweet. Soon the sexy, spicy scent of cinnamon will come in to wrestle this baby off the playground and into the bedroom!" Yeah, about that...I'm still waiting. It took approximately 3 minutes for Black Opium to frolic into a sugar fairyland version of Lancome's "La Vie est Belle"! I have never been as negatively surprised by a new fragrance launch as this. Where is the Opium? Heck, where is the Black? Seriously! Absolutely NOTHING about this dissapointingly linear fragrance is new, innovative or sensual. VANILLA, VANILLA...and more, VANILLA! This is rainbows and unicorns. Candyland and those Cos-Play pink festooned anim characters come to mind. Guess what? It lasts a REALLY long time too! My jacket will have to be dry cleaned as I don't care to smell like my daughter's 9th grade home room. I didn't wash my arm for a few hours. Convinced somehow, that there would be a deepening...a change...SOME development. Let's just say, I'm glad I didn't hold my breath! Sorry, YSL. This is bad. A travesty really. YSL has become a department store brand catering to the masses. Difficult to accept that such a great house actually allowed this to be released...especially as a flanker of one of THE most iconic fragrances in recorded history. I'm glad we have many, many better scents from which to choose. Big pass on this one!

on 10/30/2017 6:21:00 PM

The top notes are great, but after wearing it for awhile I noticed the undertone of something I found unpleasant.

Popular Fragrances