Makeup Revolution Eye Shadow Palettes

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

A LITTLE STORY TIME
time:
Eyeshadows are one of the important things for me and i really maintain good quality eyeshadows. I don't have and have never used high end shadows, but i know what they should be like.
Before i bought my Iconic 3 palette, i read a lot of reviews, here in the MUA and Ulta (most of the reviews in youtube and blogs are sponsored. by the way...)
There is various opinions- some like their iconic range and write that is almost as good as high end ones, others don't. And to not risk and not storage another unuseful makeup item i didn't buy it then. After months i started wondering, again, if i would like the eyshadows. So i ended up buying it.
THE ACTUAL REVIEW:
The colors are beautiful. I love matte shadows and there is 3 in 12- color palette. Others are sparkly/ glittery you know(really can't describe ) The texture is really good. It is quite silky and soft, kind a greasy and that is why these eyeshadows are easy to blend. 3,4 of the colors are a bit chalky, but not much. They are ok.
The pigmentation is bag. I always use a primer(a cheap one- Avon) every time i put eyeshadows on. Normally i softly touch the brush to the shadow. With this 'technique' and MUR's palette my eye makeup ends up looking muddy and the colors doesn't differs from each other. To not look these colors the same on my eyelids i should take a lot more product on the brush or build up the color.
I already said that the colors blends beautifully.
These eye shadows with that Avon's primer last a 5-6 hours on my (very) oily eyelids, after that it doesn't look so good, a bit messy and muddy. That can be fixed using better primer like UD's or applying a translucent powder after eyeshadows.
Bought this for 8,9 dollars. Will continue using it. Especially for the price is awesome. The problems with these eyeshadow can be fixed so if you want something cheap, good and presentable- buy it.
I am not quite sure if i will buy more MUR's eyeshadow palettes...
Will keep you for updates.
Sorry for my English.

on 1/20/2016 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have both the Iconic 2 and 3 palettes and I love them. The pigmentation and staying power of these shadows is impressive. Not to mention they are available for a great price. I was going to purchase a Naked palette but I am so glad that I got this instead.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I purchased the Iconic 3 palette after hearing rumors that it was a great dupe for the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette. Urban Decay does not fit my budget, and the price point for Makeup Revolution is worth a gamble.

I was disappointed the the lighter matte shades that I thought were supposed to be similar to limit and nooner in the UD palette. The Makeup Revolution shades are much more brown/grey than I expected. They apply smoothly and are easy to blend, but the color does not duplicate the naked 3 colors.

The shimmery shades in the palette also apply well with little to no fallout, but I just don't feel that the shades match up to the UD palette as I had hoped. I am glad that I did not fork out the dough for the UD palette, because this palette has taught me that I probably won't like the rose gold themed colors on my complexion as much as I thought.

I think that this palette gives you excellent quality at a great price point. I would definitely be interested in trying other palettes from this brand. I would not call this palette a dupe for the Urban Decay Naked 3. My advice would be to look at this palette on its own, and decide if the colors speak to you. If so, it could be a great palette. If you are hoping for a dupe for Naked 3, just pass on this one.

on 9/3/2015 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Review for Iconic 3 and Romantic Smoked

Background:
I have the Too Faced Chocolate Bar and was really liking how Strawberry Bon Bon looked and wanted to get into more matte looks (aside from the browns that I already had) to add to the Strawberry or even for different looks, like a taupe matte eye. I looked up some Makeup Revolution palettes and the swatches looked amazing. I decided the essential mattes were too blue so I was eyeing the Romantic Smoked. But when I went to the store, I wasn't impressed with how the pigmentation looked through the window. I ended up getting a few Nyx matte shades instead.

I kept looking at the swatches though, and in the pictures online, the palette looked drab compared to the nice swatches in peoples images, so maybe they just applied better than they looked. But some swatches looked really dull and powdery. I had to know for myself, so I got the Romantic Smoked and also picked up Iconic 3, since I realllly love some of the shades I've swatched in Naked 3, but wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. *I eventually got it.*

ICONIC 3 Shades and Comparison:

1 - a white based matte neutral, really chalky, UD Strange way better, TF White Ch. even better than those.

2 - super glimmery pink shimmer (compare to UD Dust) They're not too different. Honestly neither are so finely milled.

3 - a reddish pink shimmer. This disappointed me a lot. Not at all like UD Burnout which was one of the shades I wanted. They might look similar in photos, but they aren't. This one is just basic and chunky. Burnout is FAR lighter and actually pink which matters for neutral looks.

4 - a soft taupe matte, NOTHING LIKE UD Limit!! This is the other really disappointing shade for me, I really wanted a soft PINK matte that was more taupey than my Strawberry, but this is just flat and DARK. I feel like this is the reason I bought this palette so to have it fall short is really disappointing. Again, totally changes the look when used as a lid color over Limit.

5 - a really glittery RED
6 - a really glittery gold
These two, they are not dupes color wise, way harsher and almost darker but in my opinion they are too chunky with glitter. These are shades I probably wouldn't wear in this palette so I don't pay much attention to them. They're far better in Naked.

7 - this shade is pretty much a darker shade 4, kind of like how Nooner is to Limit, but again a brown base. I actually like it in real life more than how it photographs. There's a slight rose color to this, slight. Still not pinky though.

8 - this is a brown copper shimmer, but Liar is far nicer, less bronzey/more pink.

9 AND 10 - two pretty taupe satins. I like these shades, but they didn't even TRY to make two shades. Like, I can not tell them apart. At least not without squinting and looking super close in direct sunlight. Some swatchers got them to show differently. Idk if it's just my palette but that means the consistency between palettes might not be so stringent. Both are more like Mugshot. Factory is browner (which is funny, because Iconic has a record of being the browner toned one) And it's pretty identical to the #2 from the Romantic Smoked palette as well.

11 - complete and total winner of this palette. This is a violet shifted satiny taupe. It reminds me of Jane Passionflower but the blue tones are stronger in this one. I actually PREFER it over Darkside! Better in person. The shimmer does fall away though.

12 - a *black* with pink shimmer overlay, it's not burgundy. Looks cheaper to me than Blackheart. Not a color dupe for BFT (Too Faced) either, but less fallout. The shimmer does wear off, blends greyish.

ROMANTIC SMOKED:

1 - glimmery white. Wears off quickly

2 - a rosey taupe shimmer, similar to Iconic 3 shades 9 & 10.

3 - shimmery light pink, very similar to #2 from Iconic 3

4 - a golden olive shimmer

5 - a shimmer lilac

6 - a shimmer rust red, not super dark, copper shift, but less brown than TF Amaretto

7 - a matte pink beige? this one is pretty underpigmented. If you REALLY rub you get a violet taupe that you wouldn't expect, but good luck applying that.

8 - matte clay brown, very dull. Like no one would like this color.

9 - a pretty medium matte orchid. I like this one.

10 - a weak black matte

11 - another bummer, looks aubergine in other pics, mine is a dark grey. Hard.

12 - a peach matte. It has a nice color but all the mattes in this are super hard. It is better IRL though, as it blends into my skin in pics.

Overview:

Formula wise, I'm disappointed. Half of them are pigmented well but the shimmer can hide the colors, so the finished product looks one dimensional and a bit childish. The colors could be more unique too; they take the cheap way out in making a lot of colors really similar in base color, (brown/grey) especially the Iconic 3. The glitter shades have bad fallout, the mattes can be really chalky and hard. The shimmers are finer milled in the Romantic palette, but again a bit over done. There is crease wear with these. I wouldn't call Iconic a "Dupe" for the Naked at all, it applies and looks cheaper, less bright in some ways but too dark in others, less adult. I've made nice simple looks with these but I the variety is less than it appears.

I replaced the brushes. Of course the price is great but cheap prices only excite me if the quality is worth it. I dislike having palettes if most of the colors are useless. I only *really like* about one color from each, I'm ok with a few colors but they aren't so exotic and new to me and only use them because it's easy to grab these. But I *hate* a good third of the colors. I didn't return these when I could and but now that I have Naked 3 I kind of wish I did. There are some pros. I like that I could travel with it easily and have variety and if it breaks it's no big. They're workable and affordable if you're new to makeup, but if not you probably won't like the

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to own the Naked 3 Palette and can count on one hand the amount of times I used it. I was never impressed with the colours (too pink and purple hued) the fallout (glitter EVERYWHERE) and the quality (either too chalky or too glittery). As a result I sold it and decided to try some of the cheaper eyeshadow palettes on the market, figuring that if I didn't like those at least I wouldn't have spent 30+ on one. And the Makeup Revolution Redemption Palette Iconic 3 was one of the first I went for...

Yes it's a dupe for the Naked 3, but in my opinion it's far superior. There's barely any fallout, the glitter/shimmer in this is much finer meaning your face doesn't end up looking like you've been mugged by Tinkerbell, and the shades are much more subtle so it doesn't make your eyelids looked bruised or washed out (which I found the Naked 3 had a tendency to do). The other added bonus is this costs 4.00, which is 34.00 cheaper than the Naked 3. And it performs better.

In my opinion it's a no brainer - if you want to try the Urban Decay, Too Faced, Stila etc palettes but can't afford their prices/don't want to pay their prices, try the Makeup Revolution palettes instead. They're cheaper, available in most branches of Superdrug in the UK and they won't break the bank. And you can buy 9 of these for the cost of one Urban Decay palette. 'Nuff said!

on 2/2/2015 1:31:00 PM

I purchased a total of 5 eye shadow palettes from Makeup Revolution over the last year and I was astounded at the quality for such an affordable price. I purchased the Iconic 3 (dupe for Naked 3), Colour Chaos, Flawless neutrals, Go! palette, and the I Heart Chocolate palette (dupe for Too Faced Chocolate palette). Most of the palettes included a nice sized mirror and the colors were gorgeous and pigmented. The I Heart Chocolate palette is absolutely incredible! For someone looking to grow their eye shadow collection at an affordable price, these are a great way to go. HOWEVER, during the last year, my eyes would randomly swell up, turn red, itch, sting, and water. I use a lot of different makeup/skincare products, so it took me some time to narrow it down to a certain product/products that were causing the reaction. Every single time I used one of these palettes, my eyes would react in some way. Sometimes it was mild, sometimes it was severe. These are the only eye shadow palettes I own that cause this reaction. I am so bummed because I really do love them, but it is not worth the misery of having eyes that are almost swollen shut! I just wanted to warn anyone else out there that this happened to me. I would suggest maybe ordering only one palette to see if you have a reaction and go from there. This makes me wonder if there is maybe an ingredient used in the UK that's not used in the States that is causing my eyes to react... Hmmm...