La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+

La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+
Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+

3.6

AQUA / WATER DIISOPROPYL SEBACATE ALCOHOL DENAT. GLYCERIN DIMETHICONE ISOHEXADECANE BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE OCTOCRYLENE SILICA DROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANE ISONONYL ISONONANOATE ZEA MAYS STARCH / CORN STARCH C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER ETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONE PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE ISODODECANE PHENOXYETHANOL ISOPROPYL LAUROYL SARCOSINATE TEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACID SILICA SILYLATE LAURYL PEG/PPG-18/18 METHICONE PEG-8 LAURATE CAPRYLYL GLYCOL TRIETHANOLAMINE DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE TOCOPHEROL DISODIUM EDTA DODECENE PROPYLENE CARBONATE POLOXAMER 407 ZINC GLUCONATE PERLITE No parabens Non-perfumed

on 4/15/2018 12:33:00 AM

I have bought this so many times I have lost count. I can't buy it in the U.S. so I buy when I am in South America or have someone bring it back for me. (You cannot get the XL formulas above SPF 15 in the U.S. - only SX, which is not as good.)

I think some reviewers on here are confused. This has no perfume (?) so not sure what complaints about perfume are. Have a feeling some people are reviewing the SX formula or some other version. I have tried buying in the U.S. and the formulas are typically awful.

I have never experienced pilling and don't know how that is even possible using the Anthelios XL FLUID (cannot speak for other formulations.) I think you should probably check what other products you are using if you experience pilling. This stuff is a pretty thin liquid and almost evaporates immediately on the skin (does have quite a bit of alcohol) so I find it very hard to believe it could get clumpy or cause pilling. It might be that it is not compatible with something else you are putting on afterward.

This is what dermatologists recommend to people who have had skin cancer, so, it's good stuff. The only sunscreen I have ever been able to bear using and that also prevents me from getting blotchy, broken capillaries, and melasma. I have tried SkinCeuticals, Jan Marini, Neutrogena, Avene, MDSolarSciences...

It could stand to be a little cheaper (think it's something like $23 when I get it abroad) but seeing as how it's saved me probably thousands in IPL (laser removal of broken capillaries and pigmentation) and probably premature aging I should probably not complain.

Going to note that I also use CE Ferulic but even on days I have used this alone protection is still amazing - no color, blotches, freckles, redness, nothing.

Packaging:
Small, compact and easy to carry around when travelling. Prefer this shape as compared to circular tubes!

Price:
Purchased from Boots when it was on offer for £12 so can't complain as high end sunscreens are generally more expensive anyway.

Performance:
Tested this on the back of my hand in store and my skin just drank it in! It seemed amazing as it was light weight, not too greasy and absorbed easily, but after purchasing and using on my face, I found the pilling to be absolutely awful. Can't be used underneath makeup even after 20 minutes of leaving it to soak into my skin - if anyone's succeeded in a smooth application, please teach me your ways!
I've tried wearing it on no-makeup days but it pills even as I'm putting it on. If my scarf rubs against my face/neck, it pills. If my hair touches against my skin, it pills. If I touch my face, it pills.

Verdict:
Was so hopeful, but I definitely would not repurchase as the pilling makes it unusable.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love this! My skin didn't react to this at all. It is fragrance free and you may use it under makeup cause you wont get greasy at the end of the day. you have to shake it before use so it wont separate. it really blocked UV and protected my sensitive, acne-prone and combination skin. you just need to verify if it's from france bec it has a different formula with the US one. I have a detailed review of this and you may read it here https://brushstrokesandlullabies.blogspot.com/2018/02/my-hg-sunscreen.html

on 11/12/2017 10:35:00 AM

I wear sunscreen 365 days always. This one is my favorite during summer. It absorbs quickly and is very good high protection. During fall and winter I use Eucerin spf anti age because my skin gets dryer and this one is more hydrating

on 10/23/2017 5:52:00 PM

Made in France- the best for melasma. I buy online from reputable sellers on EBay, for years now.
Zinc oxide on the beach didn’t allow tanning, but melasma got darker.
I wear this sunscreen when windsurfing, no hat or sunglasses, falling a lot. Melasma doesn’t get darker and I don’t tan.
Been using this before the debate about chemical sunscreens making melasma darker. I found article that said zinc also traps heat, in study, so I don’t believe the concern. For me, zinc doesn’t block UVA enough, (I guess, at the beach, I’d have to look completely white faced and reapply constantly) and US sunscreens don’t have to disclose UVA protection factor, which is close to zero?
I wash face with soap that strips oil off, then put this on as base. The UVA screen has to penetrate skin. Also, this way it’s not greasy. I wait till it’s dry, then put on foundation and powder. There are some stores online which sell the non perfumed version.
I’ve been using this daily now on my face, not just at the beach like before, and I’ve gotten pretty pale.
I wouldn’t use on skin compromised by retin-a etc. due to stinging...but then again, I used retin-a for melasma and my hair fell out...another story...

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I purchased this from Australia. I don't know if the formulation is the same across the world or not..

This is my current HG sunscreen at the moment. I don't experience any breakout when using this when I travel, everyday for a week. Usually I'm mostly stay at home so I don't use this everyday, except when I travel/going outside. I use this as my last step of skincare.

Pros:
- lightweight
- great protection at SPF 50+
- small & thin bottle size. Convenient for travelling
- not causing breakouts. Yes! There's several whiteheads present but with proper cleansing & exfoliation, it doesn't matter anymore..

Cons:
- sting my eyes
- a bit greasy for a while. But when fully absorbed it leaves satiny finish
- in my skin it's slow to absorb (if I really use 1/4tsp) so I can't do my makeup immediately
- smell of alcohol and I can smell of chemical too (sunscreen smell?)
- not available in my country

Repurchase: Yes
I'll stick with LRP Anthelios Ultra Light Fluid until I find something better than this :)

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I like the texture, not very sticky. easy to apply. Provides great protection. Sits well with makeup on top. Only qualms is that starts to flake esp when u rub ur face in the day or put makeup on with beauty blender. It gives a slightly shiny sheen on face, but it doesnt bother me so much as i normally put makeup over .

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I am amazed that this product has such a loyal following. I used this just twice and immediately broke out all over my face in small painful pimples. Particularly painful are those smattered all over my forehead.

Though the breakout is horrendous enough, the product itself which seemed nice in consistency turned out to be very difficult to spread.

I can't help but wonder if there are a few different than formulations going around, because the reviews seem so mixed.

Steer clear if you're even remotely prone to breakouts or sensitivity.

on 5/28/2017 8:32:00 PM

I bought this on sale for $25 instead of $34 at shoppers drug mart yesterday. it has to go back. it made me break out in a million tiny pimples. i looked like a greasy, bumpy oily mess. depressing!

on 5/27/2017 6:04:00 PM

It's not too bad under makeup, I enjoyed it for maybe a week, it protects well. But then it broke me out like crazy - tiny pimples all over the face.
Also I wish there was no perfume, it's incredibly obnoxious.