La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+

La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+
LRP Anthelios SPF 50+ EU 2018 Profile LRP Anthelios XL Ultra-Lite SPF 50+ Euro versionAnthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+

3.7

New Ingredients EU 2018:•AQUA / WATER•DIISOPROPYL SEBACATE•ALCOHOL DENAT.•GLYCERIN•DIMETHICONE•ISOHEXADECANE•BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE•OCTOCRYLENE•SILICA•DROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANE•ISONONYL ISONONANOATE•ZEA MAYS STARCH / CORN STARCH•C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE•STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER•ETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONE•PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE•BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE•ISODODECANE•PHENOXYETHANOL•ISOPROPYL LAUROYL SARCOSINATE•TEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACID•SILICA SILYLATE•LAURYL PEG/PPG-18/18 METHICONE•PEG-8 LAURATE•CAPRYLYL GLYCOL•TRIETHANOLAMINE•DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE•TOCOPHEROL•DISODIUM EDTA•DODECENE•PROPYLENE CARBONATE•POLOXAMER 407•ZINC GLUCONATE•PERLITE *****Previous Ingredients EU: AQUA / WATERDIISOPROPYL SEBACATEALCOHOL DENAT.GLYCERINDIMETHICONEISOHEXADECANEBUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANEOCTOCRYLENESILICADROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANEISONONYL ISONONANOATEZEA MAYS STARCH / CORN STARCHC12-15 ALKYL BENZOATESTYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMERETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONEPEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATEBIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINEISODODECANEPHENOXYETHANOLISOPROPYL LAUROYL SARCOSINATETEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACIDSILICA SILYLATELAURYL PEG/PPG-18/18 METHICONEPEG-8 LAURATECAPRYLYL GLYCOLTRIETHANOLAMINEDISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITETOCOPHEROLDISODIUM EDTADODECENEPROPYLENE CARBONATEPOLOXAMER 407ZINC GLUCONATEPERLITE ******** Ingredients US: Anthelios Ultra Light SPF 60 Sunscreen USActive IngredientsAvobenzone 3 (sunscreen), Homosalate 10.72 (sunscreen), Octisalate 3.21 (sunscreen), Octocrylene 6 (sunscreen), Oxybenzone 3.86 (sunscreen)Inactive ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Alcohol Denat., Silica, Dicaprylyl Ether, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Diethylhexyl Syringylidenemalonate, Peg-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Nylon-12, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Lauryl Peg/Ppg-18/18 Methicone, Sodium Chloride, Caprylyl Glycol, Peg-8 Laurate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Poly C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Isostearyl Alcohol, P-Anisic Acid, Disodium Edta, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, Maltodextrin, Dodecene, Poloxamer 407

I was truly hoping this was going to be my Holy Grail Sunscreen. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

I liked the thin texture and the fact that it didn't leave a white cast. However, I found it very difficult to work into my skin. I tried spreading and patting, I tried rubbing, and although it sunk in mostly to areas like my cheeks and forehead, it balled up on my jawline and around my nose and became slightly patchy in certain areas. I even switched to a silicone free moisturizer underneath which helped somewhat but not completely. And I have pretty dry skin so applying to a bare face isn't possible.

Besides that this sunscreen just made my skin feel and look bad--somehow both greasy and dry at the same time. I found myself wishing for my usual Japanese sunscreen that always leaves my skin moisturized and plumped and brightened. Besides all that, this sunscreen stung my eyes horribly and made them water. And it's also really expensive for how much you get considering the amount you have to apply for adequate protection.

I really wanted this to work for me because I'm very pale and haven't found a sunscreen yet that doesn't still leave me with freckles and sun damage after just a short time outside. I'd read this sunscreen is some of the best protection on the market so I was super excited about it. Unfortunately for me personally I would not repurchase. My quest for the perfect sunscreen continues!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I love my Japanese sunscreen but decided to try this out while I’m in Europe where it’s much easier to find LRP than Biore in the stores. The high PPD lured me in, as well as the “ultra-light” claim... what a disappointment.

I used this sunscreen for two weeks. On top of feeling heavy and greasy, it also has some white cast. Worst of all, it broke me out. I’m sitting here now with big, red pimples all over my cheeks and chin regretting my purchase.

on 1/23/2019 3:59:00 AM

kesinlikle fiyatına göre güzel yağ bezesi sivilce yapmıyor çok sıcak yerde yaşadığım zamanlar dışarıda bir kez sürüp gezerdim hic leke yapmadı işe girdikten sonra pahalı markalara geçtiğimden dolayı bıraktım. Kötü gün dostudur.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'll make it short. I bought this sunscreen for the first time last summer and it was the first summer in my life that I haven't had a single sunburn!
I am going to keep using it throughout the entire year. For eternity. Thanks LRP.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This has a really lightweight texture, it goes on very smoothly, it's not shiny or oily and it doesn't leave a white cast. It does remain a bit sticky and, for some reason, it settles into the lines under my eyes, which isn't too common for me with sunscreen. But I really like that it's cosmetically elegant and it's waterproof. It's close to the cosmetic elegance of Asian sunscreens, so that's always a plus.

on 8/12/2018 6:00:00 PM

I've brought it on a 50% sale, for a very good price (10 euros or so) and I've used it till the end. I wanted to finish it sooner, so I've applied it on the body too. I want my sunscreen to: 1) protect from sun (that's so obvious); 2) mattify; 3) to not dry me out/ tighten my skin (it's easy with my sensitive skin); 4) to not make new blackheads and/or pimples; 5) to not sting and make me scratch my face (omg, it happens so often with most products).
Unfortunately, this one didn't give me anything better that solar protection - no redness and burns while wearing it. Also one point for not leaving a white cast. The shades weren't good for my fair skin,so I'm talking about colourless version.
My skin broke out - red pimples all over, it might be because of the alcohol. Skin tightness and stingness was also present - that's for sure alcohol's fault. Think twice before purchasing it if you're sensitive to alcohol (ethanol).

on 7/20/2018 11:01:00 AM

My HG facial sunscreen! Love the tinted version (although not thrilled that they added "rose" scent). It works as a great base under makeup which glides on smoothly after sunscreen dries a bit. Protects my skin like no other! We can't get this version in the US so have to order it from Europe or stock up when we travel there.

I always use this whether under the full on makeup or under the tinted moisturiser. You have to shake it well before pouring it over where you need sun protection. I normally apply it on my face & neck. This is the only high SPF sun cream which did not break up on my skin (combination - a bit dry side) or give any itchiness. I usually pat it on my skin evenly rather than rubbing it as it sometimes leaves white streaks if I rub it on.

on 6/16/2018 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have dry, sensitive skin and have long heard great reviews about LRP SPF products.

This is the first one I tried. It applies smoothly and initially left a subtle sheen. After a few hours my skin started to look drier.

By lunchtime my face felt significantly irritated and I had to remove it before mayhem set in. I’m not sure if it’s the alcohol or the octocrylene. I’m not deterred from trying another item in this range, perhaps the one aimed at dry skin, but unfortunately this formula wasn’t a winner for me.

on 6/14/2018 6:42:00 AM

*EDIT*: This product has been discontinued as of 2019. Its replacement is the Anthelios Shaka Fluid.

---

I have used this for two years. This is the best facial sunscreen in the world from 1) a cosmetological standpoint, 2) and in terms of efficacy. There is no American, Asian, or European facial sunscreen that can beat this one if you’re looking for the highest UVA protection possible, but with the cosmetic elegance of a relatively low-protectant sunscreen. This is the unbeaten Godzilla of facial sunscreens. There is a reason why this is a cult product. This sunscreen, if you use it right, will freeze your face and stop the ravages of time. Hyperbole, of course, but you get the idea.

Don’t bother waiting around for competing brands to come up with something similar, because La Roche-Posay, which is under the L’oreal corporate umbrella, owns the patent to the specific formulation and to the filters used in this sunscreen. Yes, this is expensive, especially if you have to import it, but it is worth it.

Before I get into it... if you’ve done your homework, you’ll know I’m not talking about the American version of this product. The one with the taller, skinnier bottle, rated SPF 60? No, not that one. I’m not talking about the Canadian version either (rated SPF 60 too, but packaged in the European-style bottle). The Canadian version has Mexoryl, but only one type of it (the European version has both Mexoryls), and it also has Oxybenzone, which the Euro formulation lacks. This review is strictly for the European formulation, which is also sold in Asia and Australia. The American formulation has been watered-down in order to comply with FDA regulations. Long story. Do your research.

This is a wholly chemical sunscreen with 6 UV filters – Avobenzone (5%), Octocrylene (4.5%), Mexoryl XL (4%), Uvinul T 150 (2.5%), Tinosorb S (2%), and Mexoryl SX (1.5%) – so 19.5% of this sunscreen is made up of chemical filters. The remaining 80.5% comprises the fluid vehicle of the sunscreen, which includes denatured alcohol, or ethanol.

If you’re a level-headed person and don’t buy into the scaremongering, alarmist, anti-alcohol denat., anti-chemical sunscreen crap from the pro-natural crowd, who have no concept of/no respect for the rigorous testing that goes into approving these products for consumer use, then this is the best sunscreen your money can buy. Forget 20% Zinc Oxide sunscreens – that’s outdated, boring technology. This 19.5% chemical sunscreen will blow all Zinc sunscreens out of the water. There is also NO WAY a 20% Zinc Oxide formulation can achieve such a high PPD rating, not without being co-formulated with other chemical filters.

This product’s UVA protection – a PPD of 42 – is quite standard with most high-protectant European sunscreens. What distinguishes this from the other high-protectant Euro sunscreens, however, is its cosmetic elegance. All other Euro sunscreens with PPDs of 40 and above are generally thick formulations that are uncomfortable on the skin, and they look terrible (example: Some Uriage Bariesun formulations with PPDs of 65 [!!!]). The Anthelios Ultra-Light Fluid has the consistency of a Japanese milk-type sunscreen – reminiscent of the Bioré milks – but it protects better. I read somewhere that in an SPF 50 sunscreen, a theoretical PPD rating of 50 (which would mean a 1:1 SPF:PPD ratio) would mean that the sunscreen would have a protective effect that is the equivalent of covering your face with an impenetrable black sheet. In other words, no UVB or UVA photons can penetrate through. So, try to get as close to the 1:1 ratio as possible. This sunscreen's SPF:PPD ratio is 1:1.19.

The filter with the highest concentration (Avobenzone at 5%) absorbs the entire gamut of UVA from 320 to 400nm – both UVA 1 and UVA 2. Yes, Avobenzone is unstable, but in this formulation it is stabilised by the presence of Octocrylene and Tinosorb S. These chemists know what they’re doing. The star filters in the mix, though, are Mexoryl XL, Mexoryl SX, and Tinosorb S. Together, the trio form La Roche-Posay’s proprietary ‘Mexoplex’ (7.5% in total ww) formulation. It’s extremely photostable, will not degrade significantly during exposure, and is extremely effective against UVA. You will not age (extrinsically), you will not tan, you will not burn. That is pretty guaranteed. As with Avobenzone, the Mexoplex formulation absorbs the entire spectrum of UVA.

Now, how do you use it right?

All sunscreens contain film-formers that are a must for them to work. These film-forming agents are usually silicones, polymers, nylon, etc. The key with sunscreen, with all of these film-forming agents is to pat it on. Don’t go around rubbing it and then complain when it balls up. You aren’t doing it right.

With a liquidy and ethanol-laden sunscreen like this, patting it on will be a breeze. The alcohol will evaporate off your face as you pat it on, leaving a perfectly set film of sunscreen on your face. Forget about measuring it out, just follow the two-finger rule: Draw two lines of sunscreen on your index and middle fingers with the nozzle of the bottle, then rub your fingers on both hands together, and pat the spread-out fluid on your face. Keep patting till it’s fully adsorbed (not aBsorbed, but aDsorbed – look it up. Sunscreen, whether physical or chemical, doesn’t ‘absorb’ or ‘sink’ into the skin. It’s all pseudoscience from uninformed consumers). After that, measure out a drop, spread it out, and pat that into areas you might have missed, such as your under eyes/eyelids, nasolabial folds, etc.

Complain about the alcohol if you want, but it is precisely the alcohol in this formulation that gives it so much cosmetic elegance. Alcohol denat., the main solvent, thins the fluid out, keeps the chemical filters stable, and helps the film-formers spread out and do their job.