La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+

La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+
Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF50+

3.8

AQUA / WATER DIISOPROPYL SEBACATE ALCOHOL DENAT. GLYCERIN DIMETHICONE ISOHEXADECANE BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE OCTOCRYLENE SILICA DROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANE ISONONYL ISONONANOATE ZEA MAYS STARCH / CORN STARCH C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER ETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONE PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE ISODODECANE PHENOXYETHANOL ISOPROPYL LAUROYL SARCOSINATE TEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACID SILICA SILYLATE LAURYL PEG/PPG-18/18 METHICONE PEG-8 LAURATE CAPRYLYL GLYCOL TRIETHANOLAMINE DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE TOCOPHEROL DISODIUM EDTA DODECENE PROPYLENE CARBONATE POLOXAMER 407 ZINC GLUCONATE PERLITE No parabens Non-perfumed

on 5/18/2017 7:18:00 AM

The best sunscreen. This pertains to the European version with mexoryl XL. It was far superior to the American version without Mexoryl.

Slightly oily but not nearly as bad as most, the fluid texture melts into the skin and it's very very light. You are supposed to use at least 1/4 teaspoon with any sunscreen (measure it out, it's more than you think). The light texture makes it easier to do so than if it were a thick cream. Even protects against any tanning in Hawaii.

This product was invisible but within an hour or so of wearing it my face was very oily and was not easy to wear under makeup. The reason I discontinued using this sunscreen was actually because my face became very congested when wearing it.
Still looking for my HG sunscreen.

on 4/5/2017 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Best Sunscreen Ever!!! My Holy Grail Sunscreen

I am an african woman with a dark complexion (basically I'm black) and I absolutely love this sunscreen! I had been on a hunt for years to find a facial sunscreen for my sensitive acne prone skin that is fragrance free, non-greasy, doesn't clog my pores and doesn't leave a white cast on my dark skin and finally I have found that sunscreen. My search for the perfect sunscreen ends here with this La Roche Posay Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluid SPF 50+. This sunscreen is so ultra light weight, absorbs very easily into the skin without much effort and applies easily and smoothly on the skin without leaving behind a greasy film or shine that comes with many sunscreens. And I love love that it is fragrance free. It does not irritate my super sensitive skin despite having Alcohol denat. as one of its top ingredients I guess due to the other ingredients in the product. It is so light weight in consistency that I can wear it under my moisturiser without any issues. Overall it is just a very well formulated facial sunscreen perfect for those with sensitive, combination skin. I never understood for the life of me why skin care lines always feel the need to add fragrance to their skin care products. Anyway because of this sunscreen now I am tempted to try other products in the La Roche Posay Line geared towards sensitive skin..I couldn't be more happier with this sunscreen. Definately no cons from me with this sunscreen

on 12/13/2016 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This broke me out like nobody's business. Like right away after 2 days of use. And I haven't broken out from any of the higher end SS like vichy, eucerin, avene, etc.

I wasn't a huge fan of how it felt on the skin either. It just sat there like a greasy layer.

I'll give it to a friend who swears by it but I am very disappointed :(

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

After reading reviews and my current fav sunscreen (PC Super light spf30) being out of stock for a long time in my current country, I decided to give this one a go. What a disappointment! Felt greasy on the skin, stung around my eyes and gave a horrible polka dot effect under my make up. I tried again with a primer over it, same. I had to wash off straight away. I will not stray away from Paula's choice sunscreens again!! Hopefully I can wear this on my neck, chest and back of hands to get rid of it!!

At first I liked this product, now after testing it for 2 months my opinion has changed. :(
Pros:
- extremely lightweight, fast absorbing formula,
- does not leave white cast,
- high SPF factor- good protection against uv rays,
- can be applied under makeup,
- non-sticky.

Cons:
- alcohol denat is the third (!) ingredient- in the long run it may damage your skin,
- one bottle lasts for not more than a month (if you apply it every day),
- even for a sunscreen- rather unpleasant smell,
- it broke me out (three times) after a week of everyday use.

To be honest I think there are better sunscreens around.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I was torn between this, Vichy and Garnier. I'm so glad I picked this for my oily skin. This is the best sun protection you are going to get for oily skin. It's fragrance free and ultra light so my makeup doesn't turn shiny or slide off my face half way through the day. It doesn't feel sticky like most sunscreens I've used in the past or break me out. Make sure to give it a good shake before use.

on 8/27/2016 6:49:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

This is sunscreen perfection for me, and a must if you are darker skinned.
(To clarify - this review is for the European version, made in France)
I'd previously used Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 which I'd thought was excellent (and I've reviewed it here)...until I tried La Roche Posay's. Now, I can see that the Kiehl's does have a slight white cast in comparison, and feels noticeably heavier on the skin.
Ultra Light Anthelios XL 50 really does not leave any white cast whatsoever. You can look at your face in any light and at an angle and you really won't see anything.
As the name suggests, the texture is amazingly light, sinks in without any greasiness but leaves the skin feeling comfortable. I look and feel as if I'm not wearing anything on my face with this product.
I use SPF15-20 year round in my moisturiser, but in the last few years have used SPF50 in the summer to help with some patches of hyperpigmentation on my cheekbones which flare up in the sun.
I used to wear moisturiser, SPF50, and then some powder foundation to take the edge off the white cast (even with the Kiehl's) For most of this summer I've used only this product topped with loose sheer powder and my skin seems to have really benefited from fewer layers, plus it's a joy to not have to worry about all that stuff on your face melting, sweating and coagulating during a hot day.
It works, too! My hyperpigmentation patches have been under control this summer. I think it's because I can apply this product quite liberally unlike other high factor sunscreens where the more you use, the more noticeable the white cast.
This is my new must-have and I've got a couple of spares lined up so that I don't run out. The Kiehl's has been relegated for gardening days!

on 8/19/2016 11:02:00 AM

Holy grail sunscreen for brown skinned people. Nothing else comes close.

I previously reviewed the tinted version of this product, which was my previous HG sunscreen - until I tried the regular fluid. I have now ditched the tinted fluid for this one. Unlike the tinted fluid, the regular fluid is entirely chemical (the tinted one contains both physical and chemical filters). The tinted one is still a great product in every aspect and worked phenomenally for my brown Indian skin, but my biggest gripe with it was that it left my skin looking greasy, which is a pity, because the tint matched my skin tone perfectly and gave me a fantastic glow.

The regular fluid has nothing in it that can leave a white cast (entirely chemical), it goes on completely matte and stays matte (because it has oil-absorbing ingredients like silica and perlite) and it sinks wonderfully into my skin. The tinted fluid 'sat' on my skin and didn't sink in because of the physical filter, but my skin just soaks this one up. The PPD rating of this sunscreen is also unmatched (PPD 42), it is photostable because of the Mexoryl filters (so you don't have to reapply every 2 hours), and the fluid-like, runny texture of it makes it so easy to apply.

I've tried many popular sunscreens - like the Biore Watery Essence (that one left me greasy) and so many supposedly 'invisible' ones that the manufacturers claimed wouldn't leave a white cast (but they did) - and this is just unmatched. Do take note that there's a high amount of dimethicone/silicone in this sunscreen, and it will 'ball up' if you apply way too much of it in one spot, so just apply it carefully and you'll be fine.

on 6/12/2016 11:55:00 PM

This is the best sunscreen, period. I discovered this ss through my dermatologist's recommendation. I have used tons of different brands of ss, some of the goods ones give me breakouts and itch after a period of time. I run a lot and also loves make up when I am not running. I sometimes I apply 2 coats of this ss or a coat under a physical sunscreen when I run for a few hours and sometimes I just slather it under face powder when I go out with friends. Never had any allergic reaction with this. Have used so many bottles starting from the old formula to the new lighter one. Very high PPD too.